Suggestion Increasing the max file size for signatures (and avatars)

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I've been making signatures, avatars and other graphics for users of this site since 2011. One of the biggest gripes I've had with the site is the archaic size limit on signatures.
For avatars, it makes perfect sense to have an 80kb size limit, there's really not much you can do in a 150x150 space anyways, and 80kbs is more than enough for decent quality profile pictures. Not to mention, the images you upload are compressed by the site anyways.
Signatures are a completely different story. The site offers a maximum image size of 500x150, which is a generous amount of web page real-estate. The issue, is that for more "complex" signature images, 80kb does not cut it without a significant drop in quality while using compression. This is without mentioning that the 80kb limit applies to BOTH profile pictures and signature images, so in reality you have around 50-60kb for your 500x150 signature if you have a profile pic.
Yes, I understand the site doesn't run on pixie dust and that you need to account the increase in server costs when uploading a bigger image to the site, which is why I am not suggesting to remove the limit capacity completely.

MY SUGGESTION:
Give profile pictures a limit of 60kbs, and signatures a max file size of 150kbs.

This change would be enough to increase significantly the quality of signature images (from my experience, max quality for a .png of a 500x150 image is usually around 120-140kbs) without increasing server load.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The avatar size limit appeared to have been mysteriously removed a while ago, images are downscaled to something sensible instead. (Unless im missing something here, I havent uploaded a new avatar in a while but a month ago it accepted a large one)

As for signatures I would agree with you there, my only argument would be mobile data and limited plans, but signatures don't actually show on mobile at all so theres no real excuse other than page loading times and server load, both of which wouldn't be impacted too much by this increase.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.