Apple iDevice Development

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey apple section,

Deciding that i'd give some apple dev a go.
I have coding experience under my belt (although, not Obj-C... which i intend to learn for this), a MBP (non unibody), and no touch/phone... yet.
wondering, since anyone can download the required package for iphone development, is there a way to test the apps on actual hardware.
from my understanding, there is a software simulation handset, and that $99 is required for being able to test on hardware.

is there a way to test your own "apps" on a handset without this payment? ie through jailbreaking.
im not saying that anything i create will be any good, or even if i can create something at all, i just want to know if this sort of thing is possible, and if so, how it would be done.

thanks all.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Isn't it free for macs?

also if you can tell me what file type it saves to then maybe I can help. I dunno about the SDK though
What filetype what saves to?

Anyway, iOS SDK isn't free AFAIK, and AFAIK you NEED a Mac to use it. I believe it costs $99 for one year's subscription to the iPhone "Developer's Program". Which gives you access to SDK and ability to submit apps for App Store.

D

Deleted User

SifJar said:
Anyway, iOS SDK isn't free AFAIK, and AFAIK you NEED a Mac to use it. I believe it costs $99 for one year's subscription to the iPhone "Developer's Program". Which gives you access to SDK and ability to submit apps for App Store.
The SDK itself is free (see: iOS developer program). I don't know of a way to get a developer identity without enrolling in the iOS developer program though.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thus far i have not written anything, so have no idea what they compile to.
yes, MacBook Pro (early 2008), and yes the SDK is free... and no, every platform can potentially make iDevice apps, just that since its apple, apple computers are best to work with.

with the sdk, you can only virtualise an iDevice, part of the $99 is to put apps to the store once finished, but also to test it on an actual device... this is what i want to do without paying $99.

(speaking of which Takeshi, i should go back to uni according to that link, free testing on devices...
tongue.gif
)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't put it on the store but you can probably use a jailbreak to get your apps running by utilising the autoinstall folder and finding a repo you can upload your finished work to for Cydia or Rock

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Takeshi said:
SifJar said:
The SDK itself is free (see: iOS developer program). I don't know of a way to get a developer identity without enrolling in the iOS developer program though.
http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

Anyway, I'm sure there is probably a way to run your apps via jailbreak, but I don't know if you can get debugging output to help remove bugs etc.

EDIT: Try reading this: http://www.alexwhittemore.com/?p=10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ