Homebrew [IDEA] Save data server, upload saves to share, download to enjoy.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a idea about a homebrew, perhaps like a save data server. I know there is managers already, but what about homebrew that extracts save data from your games and you can upload to server, write small description from system and send it to server, then people can browse, read description, and download, either to sd card storage for whatever reason, or directly install into game (Making backups in process of course) The homebrew could be both CIA or HBL (3DSX) So it can be accessed by everyone, even without CFW. It could be something similar to freeshop with the asthetic user interface, with searching for games and such, or something like that. Search for games you have installed, or inserted to Game cart slot, Categorize by 3DS, NDS, GBA, SNES, NES, GB GBC, GG, TG-16 or even Inject perhaps. :)

Again, is just a idea i had, not that it really matters, is okay if it sucks, i'm used to it already. It just something i thought about since i see how FBI has titledb.com access freeshop has eshop access, so maybe save data server access is nice and conveinent. :unsure:

Maybe add a request option too so if someone may want a specific game data, anyone can see and easily know what they can upload, decrease the amount of "Save data request" Creation threads and easier to find, no need to ask anyone or maybe post or pm about it. Opinions? :rolleyes:

Kloklopfer

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would love an app like this but imo it would still need someone to test those saves first to make sure they are what the description says

Reactions: Dabu47

enhasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a bad idea. Gamefaqs has a database if you're looking for something in the meantime.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love an app like this but imo it would still need someone to test those saves first to make sure they are what the description says
Well there can be a option that allows someone to confirm if it works, and if it doesn't, it can restore original backup. :)

It's not a bad idea. Gamefaqs has a database if you're looking for something in the meantime.
I know that, but the idea is to download and install without the hassle of needing a pc, the homebrew is on system to work without extra effort. :P

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Opinions? :rolleyes:
An "idea" topic in the 3DS Homebrew that is not absolute bullshit??
This is by itself enough merit to support this effort

Maybe add a request option too so if someone may want a specific game data, anyone can see and easily know what they can upload, decrease the amount of "Save data request" Creation threads and easier to find, no need to ask anyone or maybe post or pm about it.
Well, we do have a kinda successful decrypted save exchange topic -- and the problem is in it being a topic (that needs manual updating)!

I would think this project is better done by first, creating a centralized webserver running open source code, whose purpose will be receiving and indexing {zipped save contents, title id*, description}; and only then creating a native 3DS client.

* backend code will have a database of compatible titleids (some games have cross region saves, others don't, Pokemon games are compatible with the paired version's save...) and convert those titleids to searchable names

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we do have a kinda successful decrypted save exchange topic -- and the problem is in it being a topic (that needs manual updating)
Yes, i am aware of it, as far as that goes, is a thread topic, and it works for us, but I mean sure there is others who could create accounts for sole purpose of requesting save data specific to the game or desire. But with a server and 3DS homebrew app (Either cia or Homebrew loader 3DSX) that allows people to simply back up save data, write description, upload and share, download save data, and use, it just made it more accessable, especially without the need to go to pc and do any of this (or some second hand device) Useful especially with new 3ds users and that FTP only management system which we all know isn't the best. It can also be done anywhere there is wifi internet, like away from home. The users pretty much work the server with save data, no need to keep editing post or something. :)

I would think this project is better done by first, creating a centralized webserver running open source code, whose purpose will be receiving and indexing {zipped save contents, title id*, description}; and only then creating a native 3DS client.
I wouldn't know the actual techincal ins and outs of doing such a thing, since i never hosted a server or made homebrew, but as far as the client app, it would look something like a combo of freeshop with jksave manager. Having the organized layout of the different regions for each game and save, as well as having category of type of game like 3DS, NDS, DSIWare, Virtual console and homebrew/rom injections or hack and mods. It should also have the option to , leave like or report. (Probably much like a forum here)

Basically upload options would include short description of the save data the user progress, have a private or share upload, private for personal backups, or share for public sharing. Then download can directly insert save into the game or just download to use later, of course with inject option, create auto backup in case you want to restore it. Have option to leave a like, if it works and what someone wanted, or report if it doesn't work and is not what it says in comment. Have a request option, where you can request a game and if anyone uploads a save for it, you would be notified next time you run app. Maybe follow users, if you like them.

Honestly this may seem like lot more work than it sounds, but is just a idea, no one has to do anything, but it be nice if every console had something like this. :)

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I kinda had the same idea, but for private backups

Same, I feel like it would be easy to have a program that connects to a FTP sever that is set in a config file and you can just say "Backup" and it would Backup the JKSV folder, I believe it could all be done in lpp-3ds since I'm always reading how "easy" it is to create something with.

At the end of the day though I don't know how many people would setup there own FTP Server on a machine just for backing up/restoring saves, I sure as hell would use it.

OmanComputar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I had this on my mind since a few weeks ago but it was merely a few concepts on how it would be handled on both sides (server and the app). I would be happy to contribute to this if it gets somewhere, which I really hope it does.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this on my mind since a few weeks ago but it was merely a few concepts on how it would be handled on both sides (server and the app). I would be happy to contribute to this if it gets somewhere, which I really hope it does.
How could you contribute may i ask? To be honest, i have no sense of developement, on making homebrew for anything or setting up servers like titledb.com It was just a idea from someone who was thinking of easy access to sharing and downloading save data without needing pc to transfer files and such. I think any console with wifi and homebrew access should have something like this. :)

OmanComputar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How could you contribute may i ask? To be honest, i have no sense of developement, on making homebrew for anything or setting up servers like titledb.com It was just a idea from someone who was thinking of easy access to sharing and downloading save data without needing pc to transfer files and such. I think any console with wifi and homebrew access should have something like this. :)
Generally making a site like TitleDB involves knowing how to make an API (a way to let developers interact with the site with ease) and a frontend (what the users see), which can be many things, like the section in FBI. It calls the site with the data it requests and the site replies with the data it has, then the app uses it to show it in your screen. It's an oversimplification of how it does it but it's pretty much like that in every major site like Facebook or Twitter.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally making a site like TitleDB involves knowing how to make an API (a way to let developers interact with the site with ease) and a frontend (what the users see), which can be many things, like the section in FBI. It calls the site with the data it requests and the site replies with the data it has, then the app uses it to show it in your screen. It's an oversimplification of how it does it but it's pretty much like that in every major site like Facebook or Twitter.
Maybe you can consider talking to whoever made fbi or freeshop or a save manager about adding a optional save management or download. I really wouldn't know. The homebrew app should least be accessable from homebrew loader, FBI and Freeshop are best used as cia installed apps. Having homebrew loader level access is better for more people to be involved and gives people who don't have CFW little more to offer. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-