popoffka

OP
Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
So, you see, we've got AR.
At the moment, I've only seen AR being used for advertisement or games. But why don't use it to show some kind of movies?
The idea is following: Nintendo can sell little cards that will contain some information about the movie/cartoon. After buying one of these, user puts it on a table, opens AR application on his 3DS and aims 3DS's camera at the table. The AR application reads the information about the movie/cartoon and just shows it using AR, on the surface where the card is.
Just imagine that! You will be able to watch 3D scenes from any angle, just by moving your 3DS or the card. Wouldn't it be just awesome?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't they be too big to feature?

I'd rather download them then go through the hassle of buying the cards, taking a picture of the card and so on. Rather just switch the 3DS on, go to the shop channel and buy.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
popoffka said:
So, you see, we've got AR.
At the moment, I've only seen AR being used for advertisement or games. But why don't use it to show some kind of movies?
The idea is following: Nintendo can sell little cards that will contain some information about the movie/cartoon. After buying one of these, user puts it on a table, opens AR application on his 3DS and aims 3DS's camera at the table. The AR application reads the information about the movie/cartoon and just shows it using AR, on the surface where the card is.
Just imagine that! You will be able to watch 3D scenes from any angle, just by moving your 3DS or the card. Wouldn't it be just awesome?
Yeah.... but if they will do that then... what will just happen if the card break or folded?

popoffka

OP
Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
@Gaydrian: well, the card is needed to be able to determine the surface: if you want Evangelion 2.22 to be shown on your kitchen table, it should know where your table is :) And AR cards are a great way to indicate this.

Actually, I think it'd be even better if they just include one "dummy" card with your 3DS, so you can buy movies in the Shop Channel and they'll be shown using that "dummy" card. And if this card breaks, you just buy (or even print) new one, because it basically costs nothing and doesn't give you permission to watch any specific movie.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
XD HAHAHHAHA funny stuff
4gig movie on a card
it would be acceptble for a code implanted o the card

also you could just have a pic of the same card on a pc so piracy through cards :S

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
Actually, I think it'd be even better if they just include one "dummy" card with your 3DS, so you can buy movies in the Shop Channel and they'll be shown using that "dummy" card. And if this card breaks, you just buy (or even print) new one, because it basically costs nothing and doesn't give you permission to watch any specific movie.
Sweet watching movies in the air
tongue.gif

"dummy" "blanks" "piece of paper clear of anything else around"card
tongue.gif

Sent this idea to Nintendo
tongue.gif

If not maybe future homebrewers will make some
tongue.gif

Supervlieg

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thats not how 3d movies work. They contain only two views. Its not full 3d that you can view from any angle. Thats why you need realtime 3d for ar. And I dont see anyone making a full featured realtime 3d movie yet. Not that it wouldnt be awesome.

popoffka

OP
Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
mezut360 said:
XD HAHAHHAHA funny stuff
4gig movie on a card
I was not saying that the full movie will be encoded on a card, I've just said "some information" so the 3DS can identify the movie and download it.

QUOTE(Supervlieg @ Oct 3 2010, 06:47 PM) Thats not how 3d movies work. They contain only two views. Its not full 3d that you can view from any angle. Thats why you need realtime 3d for ar. And I dont see anyone making a full featured realtime 3d movie yet. Not that it wouldnt be awesome.
I do know how 3D movies work, and I know we need realtime 3D rendering for this. However, I think it is possible to do this, especially for some short indie cartoons.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with he "dummy card" idea it sounds great! you could watch a movie normally from the screen, or on a specific surface! not that i think they will ever do this...

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
evangelion 2.22

yes. i am so fugging tired of trying to watch that in moonshell in dpg format; if moonshell 3ds is not made, there needs to be a functional alternative...

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would like to see the ar take advantage of a larger playing field. imagine if you had a 24"x12" card (like a placemat) that would allow you to play a fighting game, with the characters fighting on your kitchen table. as you move your 3ds around, (or the placemat, i guess) you can see the fight from any angle. this idea appeals to me, and i don't play pokemon, or engage in card games.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it could also be cool if they had ar cards in stores (like movie stores or game stores) and the ar's just linked you to a vid rather than playing through the camera.
smile.gif

popoffka

OP
Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
@pokeman: well, the idea is that the camera can find some special pattern (they usually look like this and are called AR markers) and show some special 3D model on it's place.
This video shows how marker-based AR works:

popoffka

OP
Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
@Veho: well, I see it that way:
1. A user puts an AR marker on his table (or any other surface)
2. He turns his 3DS on, opens some kind of "AR Movies Market" and chooses a movie there
2. He aims his 3DS's cameras on the marker
3. He watches the movie through his 3DS's screen, being able to rotate and move the 3DS/the marker, so he's actually able to watch the movie from any angle
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You can't do that with existing movies. It would have to be rendered dynamically. Each "movie" would have to be run in a 3D game engine, and would be a scripted scene in a custom level. Basically, it would have to be machinima, and the limit to its graphics would be the hardware limitations of the 3DS: limited polygon count, limited textures, limited lighting and shading effects...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It is, but I'm not sure how many movie makers would sacrifice the image quality and the control they have over the scene in favor of a novelty that would soon wear off.

I suppose someone might make a machinima series (that would be distributed through the 3DSWare or whatever the software store will be called), that would have extra features in the scenes that are unlocked by AR cards, and hidden Easter eggs that you could only catch by watching a scene from a certain angle; or, have the characters play out a scene superimposed on any surface the 3DS is "seeing" with its camera(s). Sort of like that EyePet thing on the PS3, only less interactive.

But if you develop such a system, I think you'd rather create a game around it (with tiny troops battling it out on your desk, or turning your bookcase into a Super Mario level), than create a noninteractive slide show that is a movie. And too many effects in moviemaking (camera angles, camera movement, zooming, etc. etc.; tools of the trade) depend on the director controlling what you see, so I doubt they'd just let you take control of the camera and swing it around as you please (to see the killer's face before the great reveal, to cite the most obvious example). Of course, giving the user some control over the camera, or including the surroundings into the scenes (and turning the whole idea of movie making on its head) would offer some new tricks and effects to play with, but they will much sooner be used in games than in movies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)