ICS on windows XP

ediblebird

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So im trying to set up ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) on my windows XP PC. I need the help of some intelligent person to tell me how to change the hosts IP address from 192.168.0.1 defualt, because my router uses that IP address, and i cant change the routers IP address.

I think it has something to do with the registry on the computer, becuase i found out how to do it on windows 98 and ME, but not in Win XP

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
not really good with xp, but i think you just gotta switch the ip from dhcp to static, then enter the ip address you want for the host pc

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay dumb question time from me: why are you trying to use ICS? ICS is an alternative to using a router, they're not supposed to be used together. So you can by-pass it completely by just connecting both computers to the router.

(to answer your original question, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ implies that you can't change the host's IP address)

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay dumb question time from me: why are you trying to use ICS? ICS is an alternative to using a router, they're not supposed to be used together. So you can by-pass it completely by just connecting both computers to the router.

(to answer your original question, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ implies that you can't change the host's IP address)
I think he's trying to use them both at the same time. Which is very possible. I'm actually doing it right now (I'll take a look at my setup in a few and report back). I've got a router supplying this box with a 192.168.0.x IP and I've got a second NIC in the same box that ICS's to my consoles.

EDIT: Alright, my mistake. The router by default is actually 192.168.1.x Therefore ICS still has sole control over 192.168.0.x in my setup.
biggrin.gif
So yeah, looks like if you can't change the IP the router gives out, you're outta luck. Although, I've never seen a router that gives out 192.168.0.x by default
wtf.gif
. It's usually not set to that range for this exact reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1