Gaming I think BoTW takes place AoL, here's why

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
that just is NOT possible i don't know wht people keep thinking that. that's NOT how time works!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no it isn't!

Well actually, time does not really exist. It's a human made concept to measure and keep track of events and speed. What makes you think you could actually have split timelines in real life? Thats not how time works.
But this is fiction dude, in fiction you have time machines, interdimensional travel, time compression and you could even use MAGIC!

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's after TP ONLY this proves it
35637e45acfe62382ca1737485bded56.jpg

--END--

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "100 years ago when Ganon destroyed Hyrule" is referring to the original Zelda game where you had to collect the 8 pieces of the Triforce to defeat Ganon and rescue Zelda. Zelda II takes place about 6 or 7 years later later and you prevent the return of Ganon. However, Zelda II has towns where Zelda I doesn't. So what happened to those towns since the events of Zelda II? Ganon was defeated in Zelda I and those towns were not even seen in the first game. So something must have happened between Zelda II and BoTW where Ganon returns and destroys the towns and Link is apparently killed but put in the Shrine of Resurrection for a century, setting up the events for BoTW.

You guess thats all. There is a timeline evidently for those games under Zelda creator. Google it.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that just is NOT possible i don't know wht people keep thinking that. that's NOT how time works!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no it isn't!
It is a far fetched theory, but just saying, you are ok with a time line splitting, but converging is impossible? This is all fantasy, so basically anything is possible.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to disagree with the merge timeline . The split timeline makes more sense since Link time travels and creating different timelines as shown in many science fiction stuff about time. Yes, it's fiction, but at least they try to make sense out of it. Sure, the Rito were in the Adult Link timeline, but they were evolved from the Zora and so the possibility of the Zora evolving into the Rito does still exist in any timeline. And while I say possibility and that it is possible that a merge timeline can happen, it just sounds way too far out there. And so far, there isn't much to show for it. Hyrule in ruins because of Ganon? Wind Waker showed Hyrule in ruins, so is that in the merged timeline? No.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing people forget, even without a merged time-line per se, the different time lines can share similar events and creatures, especially over the course of 10,000 years.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are my thoughts on the placement of Breath of the Wild in the Zelda timeline. There's a tl;dr version at the bottom.

First, there appear to be five options:
  1. Child timeline (the timeline Twilight Princess and others are in)
  2. Adult timeline (the timeline Wind Waker and others are in)
  3. Downfall timeline (the timeline A Link to the Past and others are in)
  4. A new fourth timeline
  5. A unified timeline (all the timelines have somehow converged into one with elements from them all)
For simplicity, I'm going to eliminate #4 and #5. They're purely speculative, and there's no evidence to back them up. Unless Nintendo says otherwise, I am going to assume these aren't where Breath of the Wild fall, since they've so far only given us three options canonically.

1. Best evidence for the Child timeline: Princess Zelda goes over the history of the Master Sword and specifically references events from Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. However, this could just be an Easter Egg. It's circumstantial evidence, but it's currently the best evidence we have for timeline placement. It has also been discussed online that other games, such as Wind Waker and A Link to the Past, might have been referenced in this cutscene in other localizations of Breath of the Wild, which would discredit this evidence.

2. Best evidence for the Adult timeline: The presence of the Rito, the presence of the Koroks, references to an ancient sea in the Ancient Sea Salt description, an apparent reference to Medli (Divine Beast Medoh), references to other sages who were not awakened in the Child timeline, and the whale skeletons on the land of Hyrule. However, all of this is pretty circumstantial. There's no real reason the Rito and Koroks can't exist in other timelines, we know that parts of Hyrule have been previously covered by oceans before even Skyward Sword, Medli is not directly mentioned (unlike two of the other Divine Beast namesakes), and any references to awakened sages from the Adult and Downfall timelines could be explained by Link bringing that information back in time with him to the Child timeline and talking about it.

3. Best evidence for the Downfall timeline: References to the other sages who were not awakened in the Child timeline, the outfit you get for completing all 120 shrines, references to Hyrule being repeatedly attacked by Ganon, and the Master Sword's location. As I mentioned earlier, references to awakened sages who were not awakened in the Child timeline can be explained by Link bringing that history back in time with him and discussing it. In fact, the Zora tablets refer to the Ruto history as being in "a past," not "the past." The outfit is purely circumstantial. Repeated attacks by Ganon are present in all three timelines, and we know that Calamity Ganon has attacked Hyrule multiple times offscreen in Breath of the Wild's 10,000-year history that likely falls after all other games, which would be true regardless of which timeline it falls on. The Master Sword's location is irrelevant because we don't know where Link pulled it from 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild; its location in the Lost Woods is just where Princess Zelda decided to put it for safe keeping under the watchful eye of the Deku Tree.

tl;dr version: All of the evidence is circumstantial, so Breath of the Wild could fall on any timeline until we get confirmation from Aonuma, etc. The best evidence we have right now is the scene in which Princess Zelda seems to go through the history of the Master Sword, listing the events of Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. Since Twilight Princess falls under the Child timeline, and events from other timelines are omitted (depending on what you believe about other localizations and their canonicity), that makes it likely that Breath of the Wild also falls on the Child timeline. However, it's still circumstantial, and we just don't know for sure. I'm assuming it's the Child timeline until I'm told otherwise.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Benja81

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest, there is one piece of proof that isn't really circumstancial. The appearance of Mirror of Twilight in Breath of the Wild. Here is a link to a video showing it:
This basically is against Child timeline. Because then the mirror would have to either be whole (as it was Zant who broke it around time of his invasion) implying it takes place before Twilight Princess, or non-existent (as Midna destroys it at the end of TP) implying it takes place after Twilight Princess. But as the mirror is found and in pieces, it can't be placed in Child timeline.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, there is one piece of proof that isn't really circumstancial. The appearance of Mirror of Twilight in Breath of the Wild. Here is a link to a video showing it:
This basically is against Child timeline. Because then the mirror would have to either be whole (as it was Zant who broke it around time of his invasion) implying it takes place before Twilight Princess, or non-existent (as Midna destroys it at the end of TP) implying it takes place after Twilight Princess. But as the mirror is found and in pieces, it can't be placed in Child timeline.
Except that's not the Mirror of Twilight. It's the fragmented monument shrine quest.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah that's not the mirror lol BUT if you go to a place in the gerudo desert with all them giant statues with the hidden shrine...that's where it used to be. why do you think those statues are there in the 1st place?

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Meliodas2255

DontShootUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm contradicting myself now, but I also feel that it would fit closely before Wind Waker. The goddess statues are nowhere to be found between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but everything else feels like it fits into that place (in my opinion).

I wanted to think so too because I love the WW timeline, but there were no living Zoras in WW. Melodi hands you the grappling hook and says "Here, this is what my people used before we got wings." Then when you see the ancestor sage for the Rito, it's a Zora, implying that the Rito evolved from the Zora. So this would have to either be a different timeline where they both exist, or in some weird transitional period where both species exist.

Reactions: Issac

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to think so too because I love the WW timeline, but there were no living Zoras in WW. Melodi hands you the grappling hook and says "Here, this is what my people used before we got wings." Then when you see the ancestor sage for the Rito, it's a Zora, implying that the Rito evolved from the Zora. So this would have to either be a different timeline where they both exist, or in some weird transitional period where both species exist.
There's no reason the Rito and Zora can't exist at the same time, even if the Rito are an offshoot of the Zora. It's also possible that the Zora are present in the Wind Waker timeline but live underwater.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
castle town only existed in the child timeline because the world was flooded in adult and ganon practically took over in fallen. so they were only able to build it in TP...and than gets wiped out in botw.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't rocket science, if it is following current canon the presence of the
Twilight mirror
and references to those events place it in that timeline.

However, the idea Nintendo had some plan and this shit written down all along is lame. They wrote story after the fact to explain inconsistencies well after the fact, this may be a new timeline, some weird merger or they just completely ignored it like they always have.

Most fantasy writers like R.R Martin say they purposely have inconsistencies as it is myth & legend and it isn't supposed to have a definitive answer. History is supposed to be a little murky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: