i need help moving linux distros

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't distro hop but try arch linux. It has update to date packages unlike debian. I do not recommend Manjaro because they arbitrarily hold back package updates.

Reactions: Crazynoob458

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Arch. Debian is great for stability, but that's because it has a very slow release cycle. All the packages are usually very out-of-date (except for security patches), and new software is sometimes missing entirely.

Either Arch or Manjaro would be a good choice if you're looking for something more cutting-edge. Just be aware that sometimes (but usually not) that means you'll encounter some bugginess and crashing. On the bright side, those are always good opportunities to hone your shell-fu :P

Also, tattoo this URL onto your arm when you get the chance: https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Reactions: Crazynoob458

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly just try random distros from Distrowatch. I am about to give elementary OS another try since they've released a new version and I am always interested in seeing what new features have been brought to it. I am also a big fan of Pop_OS and Manjaro, both I use from time to time. Personally, I tend to bounce around a lot between Ubuntu-Based distros and Arch-Based distros, mostly because they tend to be the best for my current hardware.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If someone recommends you Arch, you can trust them about everything except their recommendation. If someone recommends you an Arch-based distro, don't listen to anything they say, they haven't sat with their arch-based distro long enough to notice the issues.

The sane recommendation would be to go with an official Ubuntu distro (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu mate, etc.). You already at least can maintain a debian distro, so you'll know what to do with the package manager. It's basically the same except with updated packages and useful things to make managing and maintaining your computer more user-friendly.

Reactions: r5xscn

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
If someone recommends you Arch, you can trust them about everything except their recommendation. If someone recommends you an Arch-based distro, don't listen to anything they say, they haven't sat with their arch-based distro long enough to notice the issues.

The sane recommendation would be to go with an official Ubuntu distro (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu mate, etc.). You already at least can maintain a debian distro, so you'll know what to do with the package manager. It's basically the same except with updated packages and useful things to make managing and maintaining your computer more user-friendly.
if they reccomend you a ubuntu based distro, they don't know how to maintain a distro

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want an arch-based distro you should definitely go with artix, since it's basically just pure arch but without all the systemd crap.

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if they reccomend you a ubuntu based distro, they don't know how to maintain a distro

To be fair, maintaining your own PC's OS and maintaining a distro are totally different things.

I don't think OP is trying to be a developer and maintain a distro in this thread.

I would suggest Debian, Ubuntu with their variants because of the number of internet resources for them. I do not know about Arch tho. Haven't tried it and Ubuntu is my go-to OS for Linux.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo