Gaming I need help making specific pokemon

HopwradFilvop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im looking to make a super team with all competitive pokemon. And i want to have some of them be trolls to like hypnosis the other team, or basically just frustrate the other person im playing against. I can make multiple teams, but ive tried looking for super teams ( without trolls) and i cant really come up with anything. I dont want any legendaries or ultra beast in the team, since they are just unfair regardless.

Thanks for the help in advance!

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have access to a few things (Luma, etc.), you can make anything you need.
First, look into QR patches (I think SciresM was the creator of the patches) so you can make QR scans.
Check this out https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/ for PKHeX and RoC's Gen 1-Gen 7 collection (you can open two instances of PKHeX to make transfers when you need certain moves from certain gens, i.e. a Power-up Punch Khanga.)
Finally, when you have a 'mon in the Gen 7 PKHeX box, right-click on the non-boxed (literally not in the box with other 'mon--will be solo above the rest of the party) to make a QR code and that's about it.

You can do the brunt of the work by creating your dream meme team on PokemonShowdown, saving the team, exporting the file and uploading it so someone can import it to PKHeX, and trade it to you.

If that doesn't work for you, you should be more specific about what you need.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

HopwradFilvop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i know about the save files with uber, uu, ov, etc. And id be using PKHex for the pokemon. I more so just need ideas of who to specifically use. And which 6 go well together. Thats the part im having trouble and need to be pointed in the right direction.

I should've been more specific in the original post

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Like for example in doubles(not that im specifically looking for doubles pokemon ) using togekiss and follow me, while i use another pokemon to either like baton pass a scizor.
Or using minimize on a pokemon while destroying the accuracy of the enemies pokemon.

Or ina single, setting up spikes/toxic spikes.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is tough because certain sets need certain spreads to work (you wouldn't invest Sp. Atk and Atk in a Hardy Contrary Shuckle) and you need the right items for those 'mon, depending on the set and what your team is trying to accomplish, in the right battle format (singles 3, doubles, singles 6, etc,), but I'd probably say go with some special events, like E-speed Gluttony Linoone with Aguv berry, maxed in atk and Spe. Another fun event would be the Wish 'mon. There's a Farfetch'd that has Wish and Yawn, so if you bulk your Def/Sp.d, Adamant nature, holding a Stick with Protect and Brave Birb, you can force a switch or get a sleep, heal, crit, and stall--pretty annoying.

You'll probably also want something that can force switches if your opponent can stack buffs, Stealth Rocks if they try counters, Spikes/Toxic spikes if they can't get status'd normally, a Rapid Spin/Defog user to clear yourself of their traps (but also your own), weather-setter if you have a team that needs it (Rain-Hydration/Dry Skin/Swift Swim), some kind of neutralizer (a Magic Bounce 'mon if you see a Smeargle, a Poison-type to soak up Toxic Spikes or reliably set Toxic, etc,), or things that can balance or buff your team, like a Baton Pass'er.

If you really need ideas, play random battles on showdown and see what people have trouble dealing with. Keep in mind GameFreak is pretty shitty when it comes to defining what's special and what's not-so-special (i.e., a Tapu Bulu is "not Special" and won't be banned in "ban specials", but Ash Greninja is sooooooo special, it will be banned), so you might encounter those asschildren who have a team of Tapu, UB, and Myths.

HopwradFilvop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This wold be primarily against buds who dont know what they are doing. One considered using hypnosis "cheap" when he has legendary in his team, and another thought him using legendaries in his team was putting him at a disadvantage. So im not too worried about bans.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And id probably just look for the pokemon in the lists of UU/uber/etc after getting the recommendation.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like for example in doubles(not that im specifically looking for doubles pokemon ) using togekiss and follow me, while i use another pokemon to either like baton pass a scizor.

That wouldn't get you too far XD; something like Scarf Mat-block Greninja to deflect while a Quiver Dance-Baton Pass Rimbobee/Extreme Evo boost-Baton Pass Eevee, sets and passes to something that gets boosted by an ability (Tangled Feet+Toxic Orb Ursaring using Facade) would wreck someone's day if they can't switch you out or didn't have a sneaky stall trick.

A fun trick that might still work; slow Simple Beam on a Truant 'mon (Audino SB to a Swords Slaking) with a Choice item.

This wold be primarily against buds who dont know what they are doing. One considered using hypnosis "cheap" when he has legendary in his team, and another thought him using legendaries in his team was putting him at a disadvantage. So im not too worried about bans.

You're that guy XD. Best bets, play randoms, see the sets, copy the stats and moves, and make the 'mon.

GerardSama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm laddering frequently on the Showdown OU ladder, hovering around top 500 when I do invest the time, so I hope I can give some helpful input:

First of all, your statement
I dont want any legendaries or ultra beast in the team, since they are just unfair regardless.
contradicts your intent, namely building a competitive team. If you want to build something that competes amongst the best in the tier, that sometimes implies including some legendary/UB or the other. There is no such thing as unfair Pokémon, there are inferior and superior strategies. The tiers decide what's "fair" and what's not.

Next - what are you targeting exactly? I don't know how much you know about the formats but you basically have VGC and the Smogon tiers. The prior is basically the rules applied to Ranked Doubles (and Battle Spot Singles, kind of), while Smogon tiers are what is played on Pokémon Showdown (an amazing site to learn competitive battling, in case you didn't know that yet. Just throw some Mons together, build a team in a matter of minutes and test it on the ladder with super low que times against all players of all levels.)

I will just give you some insights on the terminology, how to get started, where to find valuable information, how to learn, ... - it's up to you how you want to apply it and how much exactly you want to commit to a more competitive style of Pokémon.

So let's say you were to decide on building an OU Singles Team, OU as in OverUsed which is the most common tier on Smogon. Both Singles as well as Doubles have certain "unwritten" rules for them. In this example I'll focus on Singles for now.
There are certain types of teams:
- Hyper Offense (pretty much no defensive Mons, All-In strategy, reliant on predictions, heavily punished by mistakes, heavily rewarded by proper aggressive play, ends games fast)
- Mixed (built to have an answer to anything, does not excel in any particular strategy, gives you alot of options, may have problems against certain archetypes as you simply cannot cover every weakness, gives you some breathing room even when making mistakes)
- Stall (very slow-paced, tilt inducing types of teams with at most one offensive Pokémon in them, tons of recover moves, status afflictions, entry hazards, very hard to break through for your opponent, makes many people ragequit, a game can take ages)
- Semi-Offense/VoltTurn Momentum (mostly offensive Pokémon but has 1 or 2 walls to fall back on, has many means of seizing switch initiative, not as committal as Hyper Offense, a single mistake won't cost you the game right away)
→ You can be more specific and come up with more archetypes as you please, but these have established as the main ones people refer to

How these teams are played, common Pokémons in them, how to face of against them, which one counters which etc. are things you learn down the road. For now it's just important to know they exist, and that your team will be one of these archetypes.

There's alot of terminology when it comes to competitive Pokémon, so let's just get some out of the way:

• Check: Something you can bring in on Mon X safely, knowing it will take any hit etc.
  • Counter: More severe form of a Check, as it not only checks but also directly counters, i.e. winning 1on1.
  • Trapper: a Mon meant to be brought in against certain target Mons to then kill them - e.g. through the means of Arena Trap, Magma Storm, Infestation, Magnet Pull, Pursuit etc. - once the Trapper is brought in vs. the "trapped Mon", it is dead or about to be.
  • Wall: a Wall is closely connected to being a Check. To be able to wall Mon X means there is no possible way for it to force you to switch out, as none of its moves will ever be able to threaten you. E.g. the Wall takes less than 50% by any moves and has Roost. Or the opposing Mon gets walled because it lacks set-up moves and will never outdamage your recover moves. Walling could also be referred to e.g. Gengar vs. Chansey, where it is both immune to Toxic and Seismic Toss, thus being completely unaffected by most of Chansey's sets. Though this could also be referred to as a Stall Breaker or Counter.
  • Stall Breaker: a Mon meant to break through afore mentioned archetype, e.g. by carrying the move Taunt which stops Pokémon like Sableye, Chansey, Toxapex, Gastrodon, M-Venusaur, ... from using Recover moves, Leech Seed, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp etc. Often times they also bring set-up moves or Def/SpDef drop moves like Shadow Ball, to be able to - after some defense drops - tear through those stall Pokémon.
  • Wall Breaker: very similar to a Stall Breaker, though specifically targetting Walls. They are the primary reason your Setup Sweeper cannot yet win you the game, as there are certains Pokémon who would still wall it. A Wall Breaker often just packs an immense punch, through items like Choice Band or Life Orb, and 2HKOs most switch-ins.
  • Setup Sweeper: a Mon meant to use moves like Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Aglity and so on to then shred through your opponent's team. This is a win-con for many teams. Prematurely setting up, i.e. setting up when your opponent still has switch-ins., is a common mistake even amongst more experienced players.
  • Revenge Killer: a Mon coming in after one of yours has been knocked out, immediately threatening the killer and/or any possible switch-in.
  • Pivot: a Mon able to scout for certain moves or sets by having U-Turn/Volt Switch, Protect, Substitute etc. Often a good lead to most teams.
  • Lead: The Pokémon you start off your battle with. Often something capable of setting up weather or entry hazards.
  • Phaser: a Mon meant to do Phasing, a strategy where you use moves like Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, Roar etc. to force your opponent into unfavorable matchups, forcing them to switch into a favorable one, which you can then phase out again. Also used to reset set-up move stat boosts.
  • (Entry) Hazards: Any one or combination of the following; Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web. Amongst many experienced Smogon players, Stealth Rock is referred to as the most broken move in the game. Competitive Pokémon is very much about forcing switches, predicting them, finding favorable match-ups and thereby openings to sweep etc. Entry hazards punish these switches, the extent depends on the respective type of hazard and switch-in.
  • Spinner: a Mon designated to using Rapid Spin in order to keep entry hazards from your field.
  • Defogger: a Mon designated to using Defog in order to keep entry hazards from your field. This also removes any hazards on your opponent's side.
  • Spin Blocker: a Mon meant to switch in to a Spinner in order to block its Rapid Spin. Opposed to Defog, Rapid Spin is an attacking move and as it is Normal type, it can be blocked by Ghost Pokémon. You could also refer to Pokémon with Sticky Barbs/Rough Skin & Rocky Helmet as a type of spin blocker, but they do not directly make the move miss, but rather punish the Spinner severely for using it repeteadly - thus blocking it indirectly.
  • OHKO: One Hit KO
  • 2HKO: Two Hit KO, often the deciding criteria of whether a Pokémon is capable of switching in, especially if the attacker is fast, as a 2HKO basically means it cannot switch in.
  • (Death) Fodder: the act of sacrificing a Mon for a certain purpose, e.g. getting a free switch into something else, without having it take a hit. Foddering also refers to switching the Mon into lethal entry hazard damage
  • Scarfed/Banded/Specs/Choiced: a term to describe a Pokémon carrying Choice Scarf/Band/Specs and being locked into the first move it uses before switching.
  • Speed Tier: refers to the Base Speed Stat the Mon X has, which determines which Mons it can and cannot be faster than. Speed Tiers are game-deciders for whether a Pokémon is a suitable Sweeper, Revenge Killer etc.
  • Coverage: refers to the amount of types and dual types your Pokémon can hit super effectively. Moves like Hidden Power Ice, Hidden Power Fire, Ice Punch/Beam, Fire Punch, Flamethrower are very common (Bug+Steel, Grass+Steel, Dragon+Ground, Dragon+Flying, ...) but also Poison Jab, Stone Edge, ... can all be referred to as Coverage.
  • STAB: refers to a 50% increase in damage when a Mon uses a move of its own type. Adaptability raises this to 100% increase. STABs generally, with some exceptions, majorly define your Pokémon's moveset and overall viability.
  • Priority: refers to move order regardless of speed stats. When 2 moves/actions are of the same priority, they are then decided by speed stats. E.g. Aqua Jet has priority +1, so even the slowest Mon will hit its Aqua Jet before e.g. Deoxys Speedgoing for Spikes. However, moves like Extreme Speed are of +2 priority and thus will always hit before moves like Aqua Jet. There are also moves with negative priority, for example Whirlwind or Trick Room. Same principles apply here. Switching has the highest priority.
  • Clause: a proposed rule to benefit the healthiness of a certain tier. E.g., a common Smogon clause is the Sleep Clause, used in all its tiers except AG (Anything Goes), which limits the amount of Pokémon you may put to sleep at the same time to just one. Your teams need to obey these Clause rules if you want to participate on Showdown ladder play, and making a move that violates those rules will fail, basically skipping your turn - e.g. if you try to use Spore on a switch-in, while you already put another opposing Mon to sleep.

This covers alot of terms, though there's still some more which I will spare you from here.

Now, as I mentioned "unwritten rules" beforehand, here is an example list of them. They give a sort of "first glance checklist" to evaluate whether a team even stands some sort of chance against other competitive teams. Keep in mind, they always depend on the meta:
  • have a Stealth Rocker, optional: Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes
  • have 1-2 proper Leads, i.e. Pokémon that can safely be brought out first to set up weather, entry hazards or pivot. These depend on the meta. Common OU leads atm need to be able to check Landorus-Therian, Greninja, Pelipper, Tapu Koko, ... to name a few
  • have a 'Scarfer', i.e. Mon carrying a Choice Scarf. This is to prevent being right out swept by a fast opposing Pokémon. Scarfers make for excellent revenge killers, due to their outstanding speed. Regular speed tiers to see carrying Scarf are 100 Base Speed or more.
  • have a Mega Evolution. This is by no means neccessary, but Megas tend to be amongst the strongest in their respective tier, or at least very strong and viable competitors.
  • have a Mon carrying a Z-Stone. Also not neccessary, but Z-Stones are the reason some Mons are even viable. E.g. Gyarados is only still playable in OU as it can use Bounce for a strong Supersonic Skystrike after being +1 from Dragon Dance to knock out a Mon otherwise checking it, granting it a Moxie boost to now sweep with +2 Atk +1Spe. There are many other examples, like Latios carrying Z Electrium to boost Thunderbolt in order to severely weaken/kill Celesteela and Toxapex, Landorus-Therian with Fly and Flynium Z for Tangrowth and Ferrothorn and others, ...
  • have at least one Ground immunity through the means of Levitate or a Flying type, with the prior being more succeptible to Mold Breaker which ignores Levitate.
  • have something that can switch into Fairy, Dragon, Fire, Ice, Fighting moves respectively (very common Coverage)
  • spread different types/coverages amonst your team. You get diminishing returns by having 3 Mons that carry Stone Edge/Rock Slide/HP Rock and might miss out on other important coverage, like Ice, Fire, Ground, Poison, ...
  • have something that can switch into status afflictions without caring much, like Magic Guard Clefable, or a special attacker that can take burns, or a Steel/Poison type to switch into Toxic
  • be aware of your hazard control and how much your team relies on it. If you decide to run with e.g. Charizard Y, you are forced to have at least one way to get rid of Stealth Rocks, as Zard takes 50% upon switch-in, rendering it very weak when it comes to then breaking through teams.
  • have at least one set-up sweeper to break through wall heavy teams, as if your Mons don't pack the neccessary punch, Recover & Status affliction spam can easily spell death
  • try to have at least one positive priority move, to prevent yourself from getting swept by fast sweepers.
  • be aware of whether you need terrain control (Electric, Mystic, Psychic, Grassy) and how these affect your team, respectively. E.g. teams that use AV (Assault Vest) Magearna often like to couple it with Tapu Bulu, as Grassy Terrain gives Magearna some form of recovery, rounding that set out nicely.
  • reflect your lineup regarding what team archetype you are trying to build. When going for e.g. a Balanced team, you probably want 1 Def Wall, 1 SpDef Wall, 1 Scarfer, 1 SpAtker, 1 PhysAtker, some entry hazards, some status afflictions, ... a team that has 6 Banded Mons is not Balanced, regardless of whether the Mons themselves are typical for balanced teams.

Now that you have a (very very) basic understanding of what to expect, here are some very good sources I suggest you to check out (no links allowed, just descriptions) :
  • Viability Rankings of strong Mons in the smogon forums
  • Common sets for pretty much every Mon and detailed explanation of why those EVs, IVs, Moves, Natures, Items, ... are used and what are common checks, counters and teammate options - just visit the smogon website and use the search function. A simple Google search like "Tyranitar smogon SM" will also lead you directly there
  • A good subreddit for first hand RMTs (Rate My Team threads) and Team Showcase threads, but also general competitve Pokémon questions: /r/Stunfisk

If you have any further questions, let me know. I hope this was helpful, but I bet also quite overwhelming. Though hopefully that makes you see there is quite alot to the competitive scene. And that "unfair" legendary Mons and Ultra Beasts are probably just a tiny fraction of what makes competitive Pokémon complex, and that in fact true strength and being overpowered/"unfair" is decided by other factors. Of course, legendary Mons are still undeniably strong - hence many of them being restricted to the Ubers tier in Smogon.

Last edited by GerardSama,
Reactions: Three-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not being renewed that's unlocking more medical bills from stds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Somethings maybe, but drives are rated in hours, so most likely many hours already on them. I just don't trust em for data. Maybe a used(renewed) car or something be ok tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like my girls like my car made in 2000
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like my products new, not buying a box of condoms (renewed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You already learned from buying used condoms from the first kid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tyrone said it was barley used
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wonder whatever happened to that ownage pranks guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I dont know why people hate on Starfield, I think its dope. I didn't play it day one, only started it couple weeks ago so maybe they fixed issues with updates already.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft could release a poop simulator and people will say it's shit
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Switch 2 Switched at birth