Hacking Others I just want to install linux switchroot, but I can't (Mariko - Hwfly)

reborninho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone!
Well, I followed some tutorials on how to install ubuntu on the switch Mariko (modchip hwfly). Some new tutorials, some old ones, and each one gives a different problem.
Sticking with the newest ones, every time I finish the switchroot installation step by step, both from the website and youtube tutorials, I end up with this problem when opening l4t:
>board was not initialized properly hang prevented

Some solutions found with the errors:
- Update boot0: when restoring the backup, partition not found error appears
- Toolbox: when I go to update the firmware to the 072 release, the message "couldn't communicate with hwfly" appears, however I believe it is already updated

I've already looked on the forum and on the switchroot discord (by the way, I found little information about the discord, because for some reason every time someone talks about hwfly, another person appears saying to delete because mods ban anyone who talks about modchips)
Toolbox is 1.1.1, Hekate is 6.0.4, switchroot already tested with 5.0, 5.1, 3.0
Post automatically merged:

1684171440345.png

Last edited by reborninho,

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you're on the right track.

The error you're getting is modchip firmware related.
I can't say for sure, but it looks like the error message you're getting from the fw flasher might indicate that you have a non-flashable chip. If this is the case, you have to replace the chip.

The picture of the chip might help someone else identify if this chip is flashable or not. But the fact that hwfly toolbox isnt working, isnt a good sign.

NoCaPo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Have you read the instructions written by @evil_santa?
Here's his post:

If you become a massage bord not init properly here is a fix.

WARNING: Be very very careful when following those steps, you **could** cause permanent and unexpected damages to your console if
You don't follow the exact steps of this guide OR perform extra steps not specified in this guide AND followed when not STRICTLY NEEDED

WARNING 2: DO NOT FLASH FIRMWARE.BIN

If you get the message "Board was not initialized properly. Hang prevented." while booting Linux or Android on Mariko:

1. Get this "hwfly_toolbox.bin"
2. Put it in `sdcard:/bootloader/payloads`
3. Get this "release_071.zip"
4. Extract and copy `sdloader.enc` to the root of your sdcard fat32 partition
5. Run `hwfly_toolbox` payload from hekate
6. In `----SD Loader----` section select `Update`
7. Power off your switch and boot ubuntu

In case the issue re appear, reapply the steps listed here from 4. to 7. If you didn't removed the files you downloaded in step 1. and 3.

I have the same modchip as you. This little trick works if you don't change the SD. If you have one for HOS and another one for linux, lakka, and android, you have to follow these instructions again.

P.D: I can't post URL's yet, so I tell you that these files are on hwfly github repository.

reborninho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you read the instructions written by @evil_santa?
Here's his post:

I have the same modchip as you. This little trick works if you don't change the SD. If you have one for HOS and another one for linux, lakka, and android, you have to follow these instructions again.

P.D: I can't post URL's yet, so I tell you that these files are on hwfly github repository
I tried a few times but didn't work, but since you have the same one, i will try one last time.

Meanwhile, I sent a message to the guy who did the installation for me and he said he has the usb part (I don't know why he didn't give it back to me before :hateit: ), so I have until then to try to do it via sd (I didn't want to open the console to do that, but I don't think I have another option if it doesn't work).

Btw, I do have 2 SD cards, but every time I configure the linux card, it gets a boot.dat error, then I need to put the sd that works normally and then I connect the linux sd for it to work in hekate. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is?
Well you're on the right track.

The error you're getting is modchip firmware related.
I can't say for sure, but it looks like the error message you're getting from the fw flasher might indicate that you have a non-flashable chip. If this is the case, you have to replace the chip.

The picture of the chip might help someone else identify if this chip is flashable or not. But the fact that hwfly toolbox isnt working, isnt a good sign.
Yep, I will try to focus on solutions related to my modchip. It seems to be working since i already have a sd for switch games, the only problem is to update it to work with linux

Or should I do this before I install linux on my sd?

NoCaPo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The usb port is useless in this modchip, because it isn’t upgradeable. Only for developing purposes as far as I know.
You should boot hekate with the same SD card where Ubuntu/Lakka is instaled. Check your installation.
When you are able to boot hekate and you have Ubuntu files intaled on it, "flash" the sdloader.enc file with hwfly_toolbox (always on the switch side, you dont need the USB port connected to a PC) and try to boot Ubuntu.

TCappelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I tried a few times but didn't work, but since you have the same one, i will try one last time.

Meanwhile, I sent a message to the guy who did the installation for me and he said he has the usb part (I don't know why he didn't give it back to me before :hateit: ), so I have until then to try to do it via sd (I didn't want to open the console to do that, but I don't think I have another option if it doesn't work).

Btw, I do have 2 SD cards, but every time I configure the linux card, it gets a boot.dat error, then I need to put the sd that works normally and then I connect the linux sd for it to work in hekate. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is?

Yep, I will try to focus on solutions related to my modchip. It seems to be working since i already have a sd for switch games, the only problem is to update it to work with linux

Or should I do this before I install linux on my sd?

Have you had any success in the meantime?
I do have the very same problem as you, although I'm trying to install switchroot Android.

My modchip is the HWFly MV1-6 with original FW. When I try to flash nx-firmware 0.7.2 it hangs training forever and therefore it's unable to do anything else. Had to revert to stock.
In switchroot discord they state that it is chip related, and the same repply came from sthetix on one of his videos.

I'm a bit lost on next steps for problem solving.
Wondering if I should get another chip (mv1-7) so that I can flash 0.7.2 in order to be able to boot Android. The problem is, modchips are nowhere to be found right now. Ali seems to be voided of hwfly modchips. :unsure:

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't upgrade that chip to hwfly-nx firmware. Only flashable hwfly core is v4 (with MV1-7.1 silkscreen and QFN FPGA chip). The hwfly v5 (which is a hwfly clone made by another group) is also flashable, but that chip is pretty unreliable.

Anyway, as suggested above, try to flash sdloader via hwfly toolbox. Iirc some unflashable chips would rewrite boot0 and change the payload to its own one if you update sdloader, but ymmv, try and see if it works.

If you want to change your chip, your best bet is right now is picofly/rp2040 , should be a drop in replacement, but make sure the SoC ribbon cable pinout is the same. Or if you can find one, hwfly v4 (with QFN FPGA and MV1-7.1 silkscreen) is also a good choice.

Reactions: TCappelle

TCappelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you want to change your chip, your best bet is right now is picofly/rp2040 , should be a drop in replacement, but make sure the SoC ribbon cable pinout is the same. Or if you can find one, hwfly v4 (with QFN FPGA and MV1-7.1 silkscreen) is also a good choice.
If you were presented with the choice between picofly/rp2040 or the hwfly v4 and money/avaliabity were no issue witch one would you get?
I've read multiple posts that mention that the rp2040 lacks reliability :huh:

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were presented with the choice between picofly/rp2040 or the hwfly v4 and money/avaliabity were no issue witch one would you get?
I've read multiple posts that mention that the rp2040 lacks reliability :huh:
I'd go with MV1-7.1 hwfly all day, if I can find one. hwfly group got busted by nintendo in china earlier this year and they renamed themselves instinct nx, so instinct oled is also a good choice, but you need to solder A/B/C/D points manually.

TCappelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd go with MV1-7.1 hwfly all day, if I can find one. hwfly group got busted by nintendo in china earlier this year and they renamed themselves instinct nx, so instinct oled is also a good choice, but you need to solder A/B/C/D points manually.
In my case I have a V2, so I guess that the instinct nx is out of the question.
I did find a couple of shops that say that they still have the hwfly MV1-7.1 in stock. I'm just waiting for confirmation before I order.

Raviant

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have same problem with android install, however I have sx lite modchip, which I can't flash (USB ribbon cable missing). Can I buy PicoFly/hwfly modchip and replace sx one without soldering anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: