Hacking I just want to be able to play Mario Sunshine while on the toilet.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn I really hope the PSVita will be able to emulate PS2 games.
That way I can play all Kingdom Hearts games on portable devices (and by extension the toilet).
Of course I won't need it if the rumor of a PSVita remake of KH 1 and 2 turns out to be true.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn I really hope the PSVita will be able to emulate PS2 games. That way I can play all Kingdom Hearts games on portable devices (and by extension the toilet). Of course I won't need it if the rumor of a PSVita remake of KH 1 and 2 turns out to be true.
No idea, but considering the PS2 is weaker than the GCN, and no doubt has more similar architecture to the Vita, it's definitely more feasible that it might happen.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I found something that really has the potential to do this!
I made a new discussion for it: http://gbatemp.net/topic/331730-ps-vita-remote-desktop-control/page__pid__4329961#entry4329961

It streams the images from your laptop/PC to your PSVita and makes you use the buttons of the PSVita to control everything.
So you can run an emulator on your laptop and play it on the PSVita!
Well that's the theory at least because in emulators you can't use the right analog yet (it keeps functioning as a mouse).
But I've seen some PC-game-shooters work like this already.
Also it doesn't stream the sound yet, but that should come with the next update.
You need to have a good computer to run the games at full speed and to get a good FPS on the PSVita.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its also possible that Sony sees the need and wants to bring back the PS2 glory days and starts either releasing them as HD titles, or modded to run nativly on the Vita itself. If its the latter, we could do something similar to what we did with the PSP and the PS1 titles.

Reactions: 2 people

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I thought this thread was made by a troll. And then... well... I can't tell anymore.

I really want to play Wii Fit on in the bath tub. Is there anyway I can emulate Wii with a weight thingy majingy that is water proof inside the tub? Maybe I can shove the Wii inside the toaster and use Intel Turbo Boost Technology from my computer and insert it in my toaster? That would be awesome. I can't believe if this hasn't been made yet. Any help is nice. Thanks!!!!1111!!

All jokes aside, playing Mario Sunshine while on the toilet is possible. You can play Gamecube on your vita. Just place your gamecube physcially on your vita while playing. Ta-da! Emulating is not possible yet.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm surprised to see that in 5 page nobody asked the op: Why does it have to specifically be Mario Sunshine, is it cause that game always get the crap out of you?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The general rule of thumb to emulate a console you must have at least 9x the power in order to do so. The PS3 doesn't come very close to that for the GCN at all.

Is that for full hardware emulation (with dynarec, of course) or does that include the kind of high level tricks that UltraHLE (and most modern emulators) use? Either way, the easiest solution to "emulate" the GCN on the Vita would be to have a driver installed on your computer that implements the PS3 remote play protocol (and supports indirect 3D rendering so that pure software rendering is not necessary like it is with TeamViewer or Radmin).

Coltonamore

Time to stop Tron Bonne!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Id want a gcn emulator for the vita to play sonic heros on the go.
Might as well hope for a PS2 emulator, for that. Sonic Heroes was multi-platform, plus I think a PS2 emulator would be much more likely to happen for the Vita.
Good point, I forgot about that ps 2 it is then.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The general rule of thumb to emulate a console you must have at least 9x the power in order to do so.
I know comparing architectures is apples to oranges, but I still think running Brawl at full speed on a 3GHz dual-core i3 violates that rule.
Not exactly. The Wii wasn't all that powerful, it was only a minor step up from the Gamecube (compared to PS2->PS3/XBOX->Xbox 360). The Wii is like...what? 3x as powerful as the Gamecube? Not to mention it has a PPC CPU like the GC did, making emulation development easier for the devs (hence why you see Dolphin as both a GC/Wii emulator and not two separate programs [I think]).

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm surprised to see that in 5 page nobody asked the op: Why does it have to specifically be Mario Sunshine, is it cause that game always get the crap out of you?
Nope it's because Mario Sunshine is the type of game that makes you want to pee. XD
*squirt squirt squirt :D

Reactions: 2 people

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 = 93.75MHz NEC R4300i MIPS CPU 64-bit CPU
Gamecube = 486MHz Power PC IBM CPU 1.9GFLOPs (one billion floating-point operations per second) - 32-bit CPUI
PSP = typically @ 222MHz MIPS R4000 32-bit CPU
PS2 = MIPS Emotion Engine 64-bit CPU 294.912MHz

I'm pretty sure the Gamecube had the more powerful CPU, therefore, makes it a very difficult console to emulate.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this talk about Mario Sunshine makes me want to play my copy of it again... maybe this weekend :)

Anyway about the emulation thing, the only rule I had ever heard is that a system at minimum needs to be 2X faster than the system it is trying to emulate. That minimum being a nearly imaginary scenario where the coder is insanely familiar with both architectures and all the quirks of both hardwares...

Of course these days things have become so complex that speed is no longer the only consideration, now you have to worry about encryption and RAM requirements and and and...

I believe about the only reason the GC and the Wii have been emulated so well is that those two systems have had a long history of being hacked so home brew hackers have become pretty familiar with those two systems inside and out. The home brew scene on the PS2 was not nearly so well developed so that probably makes emulating that system even tougher then the weird timing issues....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1