Hacking I found someone who could mod my WiiU for me, and...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's the timeline...
May 4th - I began inquiring with the dude about modding my wiiu and trying to learn about it online. Maybe I ran across this website, maybe not. I sure as heck didn't feel comfortable with doing it by myself based on what I was seeing. I have a hard time with understanding stuff sometimes, my disability is post concussion syndrome and I get daily headaches and dizzy spells and sometimes it gives me more trouble than I want.

May 8th - I took my WiiU to him to get modded

May 11th - I added Homebrew to my Wii via letterbomb, I found a youtube video that really made it easy for me to grasp and understand

May 13th - I joined here

May 16th - I made this post

Now I just want to move forward, but I need to know what else I need to do in order to do so efficiently.

It's ok already.
If there is anything specific you need help with ask.
Regarding how to use homebrew and things I always used them through the HBC, because it is as safe as it gets and very easy to do.
You can install things as channels I suppose, but I can't help you with that.

EDIT: Just some basics, if you happen to install some cIOS, remember that you need the version that is specific for Wii U, never install a Wii cIOS.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet is going to be to read the stickies on this forum extensively. It will save you a lot of headaches.

I will try and read at least 1 sticky a day

But here are some answers to questions you may be thinking:
1) You can simply download WAD Manager and add it to your sd card. When you boot up homebrew channel, it loads all the apps on your sd card. I'm not sure if there is a vWii forwarder for it, but you really shouldn't be using it super often so it's not terrible to go through the homebrew channel to get to it.
2) "Forwarders" are the term for those icons that show up on the Wii home menu. vWii and Wii forwarders work differently, so do NOT install any forwarders unless you are sure they are for vWii! (This is referring to forwarders which send you to a homebrew app. WiiWare and Wii VC games install just like they would if downloaded from the Wii shop, so nothing to worry about with those.) Furthermore, if it is missing a file when installed, it can brick your vWii, so be very cautious.

I will just avoid 1 and 2, sounds too risky for me.

3) The 128gb flash drive should work fine if formatted correctly. However, you cannot have it formatted for Wii U games AND use it for homebrew... It's going to be one or the other. Personally, I would recommend you get an external hard drive for your Wii games/homebrew, and format the flash drive back to the Wii U format using the Wii U's menus. Then you can redownload your games from the eShop, but your save data will be lost. (UNLESS you use a data-recovery tool on your flash drive and are able to recover the files, in which case you would want to do this before formatting. However, I'm not sure if there's a way to transfer them back after formatting to Wii U format, as I'm not sure if that's accessible by a PC.)
4) Back to the external harddrive, if you plan to do that... It is recommended to either use one with external power or with a Y-cable, simply because a single USB ports on the Wii and Wii U is not powerful for most hard drives. You will also need to plug the hard drive into the back ports, rather than the front ports for most things.

What about my Club Nintendo games, can those be downloaded again?

Any suggestions on what brand/model of powered external hard drive?

5) Your classic controller should work just fine for WiiWare, WiiVC, emulators, and Wii games that support it. (So you do not "need" an adapter to play N64 games, as your post suggested.) However, if you want to play with a Gamecube controller... the Wii U doesn't have Gamecube ports. This means you need an external adapter, and by far the most popular are the official Wii U Gamecube Adapter and the Mayflash Adapters (#1 and #2) Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but keep in mind that regardless of which adapter you buy, they have limited compatibility and your controller is generally being emulated as a classic controller. (Except with Nintendont, in which case it is being emulated as a standard Gamecube controller.) This means that it may not behave exactly like you expect, and non-standard controllers (like bongos and dance pads) will have compatibility issues.

Well I just tried to play the Super Mario 64 WiiWare using the Classic Controller and it worked fine, I will try the N64 Roms I have in a few minutes, I just gotta remember where they are, lol.

Additionally, is there a way to copy the WiiWare that guy put on my WiiU to my Wii?

There might be other things that I'm not thinking of or didn't mention. Like I said, make sure to read the stickies and become informed before making any purchases or modifying something you are unsure about. When dealing with homebrew/non-proprietary modifications to any console, it is your responsibility to make sure you know what you are doing. The reality is, you can make much better use of everything that is available if you are well-informed, and it is possible to do irreparable damage if you are not.

Thanks for your in depth reply

Reactions: Margen67

JVC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I just want to move forward, but I need to know what else I need to do in order to do so efficiently.

Install forwarder channels,easy access to usb games and the such.
Here you can get safe-proof forwader wads for Wii U:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/forwarders-are-back.340226/
To install them you need Multi Mod Manager(google is your friend/No links here on GBATemp AFAIK)

If you want a guide,here is one:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/

I could help you out no charge if you are free to skype early on mon-tuesday or we can arrange a time.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap guys. Don't get mad at the guy that didn't know any better. Be mad at the guy that took advantage of a disabled person.
My sister inlaw has had a wii since early 2007 and came over to visit just a few months ago and brought her kids so I let her kids and my kids play the wii. She was completely dumb founded that you could play games on it without a disc and that my wii home screen looked nothing like the typical home screen. So I let it go and about two weeks later she came to me and asked how this was done. I pointed her to the numerous youtube videos and gbatemp and she just couldn't wrap her head around it.
Ultimately, I took her wii and installed homebrew and whatnot. So not everyone quite understands how this works. And if you don't even comprehend what you are reading it is easy to lose your way.
Now if I told my sister inlaw it would be 50 bucks to get it going, she would have paid. But I don't agree with people charging so never crossed my mind.
If you have the guys name and work/home address and/or phone number send it to: 4600 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052 Or call: (425) 882-2040
Or email: support.nintendo.com And give them the info and express he is selling pirating software/services. (Oh yeah do it annoymously or you may hurt yourself too)

But fear not. You have found the absolute best forum for all the questions you may have.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Man just get over it. And lean to search the Internet next time before you buy anything important..
Anyway 70$ isn't a big deal.

In case you didn't know, only the WiiU's Wii part is hacked so far (=vWii). For the WiiU part, a kernel exploit is in progress and we hope to see it soon.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man just get over it. And lean to search the Internet next time before you buy anything important..
Anyway 70$ isn't a big deal.

In case you didn't know, only the WiiU's Wii part is hacked so far (=vWii). For the WiiU part, a kernel exploit is in progress and we hope to see it soon.

May 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th I did search the internet and I just didn't understand what to do or how to do it...
Some nights I went to bed with open tabs to read the next morning, still nothing...
I am over the 70 bucks...

Reactions: depaul

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Holy crap guys. Don't get mad at the guy that didn't know any better. Be mad at the guy that took advantage of a disabled person.
My sister inlaw has had a wii since early 2007 and came over to visit just a few months ago and brought her kids so I let her kids and my kids play the wii. She was completely dumb founded that you could play games on it without a disc and that my wii home screen looked nothing like the typical home screen. So I let it go and about two weeks later she came to me and asked how this was done. I pointed her to the numerous youtube videos and gbatemp and she just couldn't wrap her head around it.
Ultimately, I took her wii and installed homebrew and whatnot. So not everyone quite understands how this works. And if you don't even comprehend what you are reading it is easy to lose your way.
Now if I told my sister inlaw it would be 50 bucks to get it going, she would have paid. But I don't agree with people charging so never crossed my mind.
If you have the guys name and work/home address and/or phone number send it to: 4600 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052 Or call: (425) 882-2040
Or email: support.nintendo.com And give them the info and express he is selling pirating software/services. (Oh yeah do it annoymously or you may hurt yourself too)

But fear not. You have found the absolute best forum for all the questions you may have.

To be fair, the disability the OP mentions isn't exactly something you can see visually, and it may have not come up in conversation, so I wouldn't hold that against the modder. I also wouldn't hold charging to install homebrew against him either. Yes, $70 is a crazy amount for something like this, and I wouldn't charge that much, but I would ask for payment for my time and services if I was approached by a stranger to mod their console. Family and friends are obviously going to get it done free, as their help will likely be needed at a later time.

What should be held against the modder though, is the sloppiness of his work. To give you back a half-baked modded console was wrong of him, and I would be contacting him to have it done properly (USB formatting, controller/emulator configuration), and have Wii U specific software installed, rather than Wii (WiiMC). If he doesn't agree to that, then by all means go to Nintendo and report him.

May 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th I did search the internet and I just didn't understand what to do or how to do it...
Some nights I went to bed with open tabs to read the next morning, still nothing...
I am over the 70 bucks...

At this point though, what's done is done, so all you can really do is move on, and educate yourself. If you need help, there are plenty of people here who will guide you through your troubles for free (myself included).
Check the WiiBrew wiki to find out which controllers are compatible with the emulator you are using. For HDD recommendations, as others have said, you'll need a self powered drive, or you'll need to buy a Y-Cable ($5). I personally use a 500GB Western Digital Elements HDD with a Y-Cable, and that works fine.

If you can't decipher the information about cIOS, don't install them. For what you want to accomplish, you shouldn't need to play with them much anyway.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, the disability the OP mentions isn't exactly something you can see visually, and it may have not come up in conversation, so I wouldn't hold that against the modder. I also wouldn't hold charging to install homebrew against him either. Yes, $70 is a crazy amount for something like this, and I wouldn't charge that much, but I would ask for payment for my time and services if I was approached by a stranger to mod their console. Family and friends are obviously going to get it done free, as their help will likely be needed at a later time.

What should be held against the modder though, is the sloppiness of his work. To give you back a half-baked modded console was wrong of him, and I would be contacting him to have it done properly (USB formatting, controller/emulator configuration), and have Wii U specific software installed, rather than Wii (WiiMC). If he doesn't agree to that, then by all means go to Nintendo and report him.

Sorry, but the people that make these exploits and hacks work real hard at making them. Then they become the posterchild for freedom and all things free.
All that time spent on making it easy and making it free and someone comes along and scams unsuspecting victims out of their hard earned money.
These people that made wii exploits and vwii exploits stay around to give advice and assistance on installation. (hell they probably spent countless hours of their time assisting you on getting it up and running) Then once you've learned instead of continuing their legacy you spit in their face and charge someone else.
Homebrew items to be purchased: hardware modifications. Items to always remain free: softmods.

@ anyone curious: if you are going to spend money on softmods make sure it goes in donations to those actually making the exploits and hacks.
And never pay for something that is offered for free.
I'll be willing to bet that most of these ppl charging would be unwilling to replace one of these consoles if they ended up screwing up and bricking it.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but the people that make these exploits and hacks work real hard at making them. Then they become the posterchild for freedom and all things free.
All that time spent on making it easy and making it free and someone comes along and scams unsuspecting victims out of their hard earned money.
These people that made wii exploits and vwii exploits stay around to give advice and assistance on installation. (hell they probably spent countless hours of their time assisting you on getting it up and running) Then once you've learned instead of continuing their legacy you spit in their face and charge someone else.
Homebrew items to be purchased: hardware modifications. Items to always remain free: softmods.

@ anyone curious: if you are going to spend money on softmods make sure it goes in donations to those actually making the exploits and hacks.
I'll be willing to bet that most of these ppl charging would be unwilling to replace one of these consoles if they ended up screwing up and bricking it.

Why is it wrong to charge someone for your time? If you were charging somebody to simply give them the files to do it themselves, it would be a whole different story, but to take the time out of your day to mod a complete stranger's vWii simply for the hell of it is unrealistic. It is not a scam, as you put it. The OP read through some guides, and wasn't comfortable with doing it himself, so he paid someone else to do it. If I couldn't fix my car, I would pay a mechanic to do it for me. Should mechanics not charge people for repairs, simply because they did not create the parts? I don't see why you're complaining anyway. It has no bearing on you what-so-ever, and it still invites a new member to the homebrew scene, which is a good thing.

Seeing as debating the morality of this issue isn't helping the OP, I suggest we get back on topic. If there's anything we can help with, we will, and for free.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

BLACK--------[GREY]---------WHITE
It is a service, an illegal one at that TBH, but it is inside the many shades.
As they say, time is money.
I wouldn't do it, but I think it would be naive to expect as a given that any given stranger would invest his time for free to make something for you that you could have made alone without wasting his time.

Reactions: Margen67 and JVC

JVC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BLACK--------[GREY]---------WHITE
It is a service, an illegal one at that TBH, but it is inside the many shades.
As they say, time is money.
I wouldn't do it, but I think it would be naive to expect as a given that any given stranger would invest his time for free to make something for you that you could have made alone without wasting his time.
(Before reading consider games here have a 20 to 30$ tag extra because imports right?)

There is also the other factor on actually knowing what you are doing and pretty much securing a Wii U in not getting bricked on the vWii side.
I do such in less than 30min+installing forwaders and emulators,while for others it could be just installing the homebrew channel and its "hacked" for them.

If there is a way for me to help out others then I do it for no charge and point them where they need to go and learn.

But I´m not going to waste my time hacking per se and they want Wii games etc for 2 hours and let them leave,at the end its a service,some do it the lazy way and others try their best so that the client is secured and doesnt need a second guess at getting more stuff on vwii.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for an external hard drive (powered) for the USB drive for my WiiU.

I was looking at the USB Devices Compatibility thread and several of the ones I wanted were out of stock OR no longer available.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

I would like to spend no more than $60, while getting enough storage space that I'd never have to upgrade again.

I prefer using Amazon, I have Prime and a $50 gift card.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
M8 you could of bought a whole hacked original Wii loaded full of games for what you paid that arse hole, which would of done just the same as you have now and more! Damn what a cunt, hope he rots! sad story but don't worry m8 cause that's OK, all retards have big dicks!!!. :lol:

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried the classic controller on the Majora's Mask N64 Rom and I couldn't even set up a save file by naming it something.
Majora's Mask needs to be run as an actual Virtual Console channel (i.e.: Installed on vWii or installed then moved to SD.) There are about 5-10 Wii Shop titles that won't run when launched from a USB loader.
It doesn't work with the Wii-U Pro controller either. You have to have one of the controllers that plugs into a Wii remote.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask needs to be run as an actual Virtual Console channel (i.e.: Installed on vWii or installed then moved to SD.) There are about 5-10 Wii Shop titles that won't run when launched from a USB loader.
It doesn't work with the Wii-U Pro controller either. You have to have one of the controllers that plugs into a Wii remote.

Wow so much to learn.. and I do have a Classic Controller that plugs into a Wii remote.
Also Majora's Mask DID Launch, I just couldn't get it to input anything in File 1.

Are you saying I can't get past a certain point launching from USB loader?

I would like to finally play this game, I never got the chance when I was working, too many hours at the job, I missed so much gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.