Hacking I basically bricked my USB

AstroX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
A few weeks ago, I was doing some modding on my vWii, I think I was trying to get bootmii or something like that. I knew that bootmii could brick yourself vWii, and of course, the inevitable happened. Thankfully, I had been doing a good bit of modding in both my vWii and WiiU for a few weeks beforehand. I remembered that I had my vWii NAND backed up from a few days ago. I go to my PC, put my SD card in the port and turn the PC on. I find the folder where my NAND was stored, put it on the vWii NAND Restorer folder from the Homebrew Launcher app, and I also uninstalled bootmii from my SD card. I restore the NAND, and everything seems normal, except that my vWii menu was changed to what it was when I backed up the NAND, but I expected that. Now, this is where my problem comes up. I play most of my Wii games through USB Loader GX although I have their discs, because I can’t be bothered to change the disc every time and also I need it to play Wiimmfi on Mario Kart Wii, and also note that I have more play data on my USB Loader GX Mario Kart Wii because of Wiimmfi. After the NAND restoration, everything seemed alright, all the games on USB loader worked all right. That was until a few days later when I got CTGP-R for Mario Kart Wii, knowing that my non-disc MKWii data would not be on there, and asked around on Discord for a solution. Sure enough, I found that on CTGP there is a setting where you can choose for CTGP to get its save data from your SD card. So I set out to get my MKWii save, and the person on Discord who told me about the CTGP option also directed me to Savegame Manager GX. I get it on the homebrew browser and go into it. I remember that my MKWii ISO file is not in its own folder, so I go onto my PC to make a folder and put it in said folder. I try go onto the USB in file explorer, it says “This disc has an unrecognizable file format”, and asks me to format it, and if you know anything about technology you will know that formatting anything will remove all data, so I didn’t want to take that path. It is to note that the PC called it a disc, also something important is the fact that the USB is not called the name I gave it, it is just called USB Drive (Drive that it is in). I decide to go to WiiU shell, the WiiU file explorer. It doesn’t show up. Do the same thing on WiiXplorer SS, same thing. I go to Savegame Manager GX, and something different happens. It shows the USB, although I can’t get any saves from any games in it. After that, I did a bit more digging and found that WiiXplorer SS does show my other, unused USB. I don’t know what happened to the USB, I have looked in the internet and have not found a single related case. Today as well, I backed up my entire vWii NAND in a hope that when I restore it, the USB would be fixed, but for some reason it restored the NAND I restored when my vWii first bricked (no big data was lost), and still, the USB stick stayed the same. Does anybody know a solution for my situation?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that wall of text. if you mean backing up your saves, use savemii mod. it can do so from the wiiu side, and it will backup both wiiu and vwii saves. I think where you went wrong is using a flash drive, for anything, on the system. the wiiu doesn't supply enough power. sure, you might get it to work for a few weeks, but eventually it will be disk failure after disk failure.

Reactions: jeannotte

AstroX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I just did backup all, and it lasted 30 minutes, and at the end it told me I had no vWii titles.
Post automatically merged:

While my NAND was dumping earlier today, I saw some save files getting backed up, and I am wondering if I could go into the NAND and find my MKWii .bin file?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o