HwFly Clone with FPGA Solid White Light after flashing HWFLY 0.7.2

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I made the mistake of trying to flash three of my modchips from china. They were supposed to be R-PI models but they sent the FPGA models. I went ahead and updated to 0.72 an d now the light just goes solid white. Non updated units seem fine.

The backup bootloaders that i attemped to reflash dont seem to fix it which tells me its likely something to do with the firmware version. Any help would be appreciated if someone has seen this before. The chip says "GigaDevire ARM" on it.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which chip is it? if it's v4 it should be fully compatible with hwfly-nx 0.7.2 firmware. If it's a v4.1, v5 or clone of v5, there's a chance that flashing hwfly-nx firmware will brick it. Return it if you can, or ask seller for original firmware. If it's instinct nx (v6), hwfly-nx won't even flash and will just give an error instead, but here's the original instinct firmware in case you have it:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16A9lhFMS_zuNKO6AZEB2QH8XLo7skx86

Reactions: willthiswork_89

willthiswork_89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was the instinct firmware you are right. Strange enought it DID allow me to flash the hwfly code to it which is what caused the white light. After flashing that Instinct firmware it worked!

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
which chip is it? if it's v4 it should be fully compatible with hwfly-nx 0.7.2 firmware. If it's a v4.1, v5 or clone of v5, there's a chance that flashing hwfly-nx firmware will brick it. Return it if you can, or ask seller for original firmware. If it's instinct nx (v6), hwfly-nx won't even flash and will just give an error instead, but here's the original instinct firmware in case you have it:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16A9lhFMS_zuNKO6AZEB2QH8XLo7skx86
I have an official v5 and tried updating with 0.7.2, and it seems i'm too stuck on solid white. now when i try to plug the micro usb B in the computer, it says the usb device malfunctioned. is there anyway back to functionality or is this chip dead? I can still boot to OFW

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have an official v5 and tried updating with 0.7.2, and it seems i'm too stuck on solid white. now when i try to plug the micro usb B in the computer, it says the usb device malfunctioned. is there anyway back to functionality or is this chip dead? I can still boot to OFW
sounds like a dead chip. Honestly some hwfly are of really bad quality and it's better you just buy a Wave PR2040-Zero and swap the dead on out. Since you've got all cables there already it's as simple, de-solder and attach at the right place.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That why you should never update the chip if it works fine.

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That why you should never update the chip if it works fine.
You're not wrong there - however it started acting up hence my last ditch effort at doing the risky thing. I was in between swapping /transferring microSDs and when done, on both SD cards, sometimes booting up would get into hekate, and mostly it would not, usually without the SD it'd say boot.dat -> then i could easily insert the SD card and get into hekate. then eventually it stopped entirely. I barely moved the switch around and i'm a confident technician (i'm not a micro soldering noob but shit does happen) so i was really confused why this was happening, figured i must have done something stupid or got the switch in a funny state whilst switching cards. I did try resetting the training data before getting the new firmware flashed.

sounds like a dead chip. Honestly some hwfly are of really bad quality and it's better you just buy a Wave PR2040-Zero and swap the dead on out. Since you've got all cables there already it's as simple, de-solder and attach at the right place.
If the cable compatible is compatible then i might give it a go! Although i am wondering if it's justt a bad usb breakout board as holding the ribbon in a certain way turns the flashing blue led on when the micro usb is inserted, and letting go turns it offf (when pressure is applied to the ribbon into the receptable). This wouldn't explain why the switch started acting up before i opened it to diagnose.

An idiot question, but is 0.7.2 entirely not compatible with the v5 hwfly?

edit: there are continuity shorts on the micro usb breakout but it might not be my only issue

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not wrong there - however it started acting up hence my last ditch effort at doing the risky thing. I was in between swapping /transferring microSDs and when done, on both SD cards, sometimes booting up would get into hekate, and mostly it would not, usually without the SD it'd say boot.dat -> then i could easily insert the SD card and get into hekate. then eventually it stopped entirely. I barely moved the switch around and i'm a confident technician (i'm not a micro soldering noob but shit does happen) so i was really confused why this was happening, figured i must have done something stupid or got the switch in a funny state whilst switching cards. I did try resetting the training data before getting the new firmware flashed.

I hope you are not ejecting the cards often, that is how the SD card flex break.

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you are not ejecting the cards often, that is how the SD card flex break.
No, the SD card flex is fine. i can see in OFW it's all good.

I guess i am being fooled in thinking this was official (the storefront did look like the 'official' one when i bought it). It was sold as V5 but the text 'Mv1-6' is confusing me, is this V6 or V5? I am thinking of digging out my J link and attempting the new firmware through the SWI bus. Bit confused which firmware i should burn though
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 18.56.40_a6ee923e.jpg

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the SD card flex is fine. i can see in OFW it's all good.

I guess i am being fooled in thinking this was official (the storefront did look like the 'official' one when i bought it). It was sold as V5 but the text 'Mv1-6' is confusing me, is this V6 or V5? I am thinking of digging out my J link and attempting the new firmware through the SWI bus. Bit confused which firmware i should burn though
View attachment 422621

You got a SX core clone, it is not flashable.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

If the cable compatible is compatible then i might give it a go! Although i am wondering if it's justt a bad usb breakout board as holding the ribbon in a certain way turns the flashing blue led on when the micro usb is inserted, and letting go turns it offf (when pressure is applied to the ribbon into the receptable). This wouldn't explain why the switch started acting up before i opened it to diagnose.

An idiot question, but is 0.7.2 entirely not compatible with the v5 hwfly?

edit: there are continuity shorts on the micro usb breakout but it might not be my only issue
no it's no "cable" supported by default but it's just a small solder point on the ribbon you need to do.

It can be the break out board, they are cheap chinese crap so it's hit and miss.

EDIT: Saw the replies. I don't even understand how it accepted the update files

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no it's no "cable" supported by default but it's just a small solder point on the ribbon you need to do.

It can be the break out board, they are cheap chinese crap so it's hit and miss.

EDIT: Saw the replies. I don't even understand how it accepted the update files
I don't really understand, it's quite frustrating, the chip wasn't cheap.

My plan is to follow this pinout and use a programmer to attempt a new firmware, only real question is i'm not sure which firmware
sxcore-schematics.jpg

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I honestly can't tell you which firmware. If you're lucky it might take Spaceship-nx?
Or an older version of Picofly

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they are hwfly so I can't say
Aaand it's fixed. programmed the attached firmware and bootloader through the four soldered wires schematic above via stlink. Back in hekate, everything lives.
You got a SX core clone, it is not flashable.
don't spread misinformation

Attachments

• STOCK-ChipNX_0.31_Bootloader.zip
    162.1 KB · Views: 8

notSoMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what. i said i was using a programmer before. you said that it's not possible to flash the device. i nearly stopped based on your response.
ChipNX is actually a SX Core clone, same as HWFly.

Picofly is the only original.
ah, i see. thank you

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I honestly thought when you said a programmer I thought that little hwfly/sx core usb dongle thingy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1