Humble Bundle becomes game publisher

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 9, 2017.

Feb 9, 2017
  1. Chary
    OP

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    image.png

Well-known bundled game seller, Humble Bundle will be broadening their horizons, as they move from just selling games, to being a publisher and investor of console, mobile, and PC games. The company will be funding upcoming 7 indie titles such as:
    Humble Bundle plans to attend GDC and Pax East in order to find other games that they wish to fund as well. You can also click the link here to submit your own game directly to them.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

2. Shubshub

Member Shubshub The Shubinator

New Zealand
    Ayyy HackyZack, I've heard of that one :D

3. Luckkill4u

Member Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Canada
    I'm glad humble is doing well enough to expand their horizons into the publishing industry. I have bought many bundles, am a monthly subscriber and they always have great deals!

Saiyan Lusitano and Chary like this.
  4. grossaffe

Member grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Okay humble, now make A Hat In Time come out for Linux! Do it!

5. Imacaredformy2ds

Banned Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Mexico
    Well today's a fast news day
    Inb4 I find something and someone reports on it first, get more likes, and gets on front page

6. VinLark

Member VinLark Check this 5

United States
    If only more important people cared about Linux gaming and people actually had a incentive to produce on Linux

Saiyan Lusitano and Skelletonike like this.
  7. grossaffe

United States
    Linux gaming has progressed a lot in the past few years. Just gotta keep supporting the devs who support Linux.

Nightwish likes this.
  8. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    A Hat in Time isn't dead. Given Yooka-Laylee was funded almost two years later and is coming out this year that's honestly surprising.

9. grossaffe

United States
    Yooka-Laylee is by industry vets who gave us Banjo Kazooie. I understand that A Hat In Time's team doesn't quite match up in experience. Never-the-less, it looks like a delightful title.

10. DeoNaught

Member DeoNaught GREAT LURKER OF GBATEMP

United States
    So wait...... what are the terms?

cause I need new equipment to develop on....

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I'm sorry what?
    The first humble bundles were filled with crappy flash games mixed with some decent titles. Not bashing it, I bought them all and enjoyed the games. But I dunno where they think they became some brand of quality. After ditching the charity thing they became a business. If anything respect for them has dropped considerably.

Oh well if they invest in cool indie games, it's all good I suppose. Glad to see A Hat in Time. I almost forgot about that.

12. flame1234

Member flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you need a game to play a good strategy is look on Humble and buy a $1 bundle.
    Today they have KoTOR, which is highly rated and I haven't played it yet, for $1. The other games you get for your $1 are garbage, but can't expect too much for $1.

13. Jonna

Member Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    The developer (an old friend of mine) has a great amount of experience. Granted, I don't know how long he dabbled in 3D, but 2D, his experience in game design and programming is fantastic!

14. grossaffe

United States
    I haven't been able to find much about the development team outside of the blurbs in the kickstarter campaign. Could you give me a little run-down of what else they've worked on? I like what they're doing on this one, so I'm curious to see their past.

15. Jonna

Member Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    www.mechatheslag.com

I don't know about the rest of the team, but this guy has a sweet portfolio. I worked on the music for Invert Inc and he also had a cool Portal concept I had music for as well that didn't end up happening. He dabbled in Mario fangames before this and actually made a fun online multi-player brawler as well. I'm quite amazed at how far he's gone since those days of old.

16. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    A nice initiative. I can't but applaud it in every way! :D

(oh...and I'll better leave a link to their listed bundles, for those who might find it interesting).

My guess is that their quality is both in terms of service of what can be offered (tech support, key deliverance, added goodies such as the soundtracks or manuals, the humble bundle app, ...) alongside of the software you actually buy in bundles. My guess is they'll also mean the partnerships they have mande with many publishers and developers in the industry (who hasn't had a humble bundle at this point in time? :P ).

Also: what do you mean with "after ditching the charity thing"? Their original goal to push linux certainly got forgotten along the way, but even as we speak, you support unicef by getting a star wars bundle. How is that not charity? :unsure:

Attached Files:

17. grossaffe

United States
    :cry:

18. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    It's just not viable, same reason why you don't see many multiplat AAA games in the Wii U and the Vita.
    Basically, Linux is the Vita of the OS, might be good, but almost no one cares about it.

19. grossaffe

United States
    One of the big problems is the use of non-portable libraries. Lets see, we could use OpenGL which will allow us to target every platform, or we could use DirectX and be locked down to only Windows and Xbox... DirectX it is! Hopefully Vulkan really catches on and draws developers away from DirectX.

Also, there's a big difference between Linux and Wii U/Vita. Linux is costs zero <insert monetary unit of choice>. How nice would it be to build a PC and not have to set aside however much money to put towards a Windows license and instead put that towards parts or games?

Someday...

20. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    There are games that could be released on Linux, but aren't, people just don't care about it. From my point of view it is exactly the same as Linux.
    There will probably be a day when an OS other than Microsoft 'rules', but I doubt it'll be Linux, I'm betting on something entirely different.