Android HTC Desire Cotulla Root

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently got this HTC Desire from my step-dad, he already installed some Cotulla ROM on it, but the phone itself isn't rooted. I'm not up to date on all these terms, but all I know is idk how to root if, because most guides say to go to HBOOT (which I can't) or want to know model types.

Idk specifically, but it says Android version 2.2 and Model Number HTC Desire A8181

If anyone can help me root this or restore to factory settings so I can re-do the whole process, I'd be much obliged.

EDIT: Also, I think he mentioned it was originally Windows. But it's Android now...

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it's a custom ROM, chances are quite high that you already have root access. Do you have an app in your app drawer called Superuser?

As for starting fresh, you can, if it's installed already, boot into recovery and flash a new rom of your choosing.

Maybe spend some time reading some of the 'read first' threads on xda's HTC Desire forum @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually do have the app Superuser. Does it do anything? Haha. I'll check out the website tomorrow, because it's late here right now (:

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Superuser app is what allows an app that needs root access to run with the special privileges.

When you run an app that needs elevated privileges, there will be a superuser popup asking you if you want to allow/deny that app from getting that access. Give it a shot with Titanium Backup!

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Your phone is already rooted, all you have to do now If you want is check out some other ROMS. For an easy way, download ROM manager from the app store and you can get a bunch of custom ROMS there and also flash the clockworkmod that's included which makes backing-up easy and also asks you If you want to create a backup automatically before you flash a new ROM.

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mainly just want to be able to give certain apps root access, but it SuperUser never prompts me to allow it?

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know only app's that require root access ask for permission in superuser. If you have app's that require root and superuser isn't asking permission either they already have It, (there should be a list inside superuser) or your app got corrupted and you would have to root again I guess. If you find the 2nd option is the problem you could always run superoneclick that will root your phone for you If you don't know how to do all the steps or don't want to.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saison said:
Titanium Backup? And I'm never prompted for these accesses.because your step-dad already gave it permission and checked the remember box that automatically gives it access every time without the popup

QUOTE(saison @ Aug 18 2011, 02:34 AM) I mainly just want to be able to give certain apps root access, but it SuperUser never prompts me to allow it?
you can't just give random apps root access, apps have to require root access for a certain function, then they will request superuser permission (through a popup)

and be aware that with root access you give out all of the information on your phone, so if you give a malicious app superuser access they could steal all of your information that you've put into your phone (google accounts, browser cookies & autofills, facebook/twitter, etc.)

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see permissions anywhere. There's an empty list of apps, an empty log, and settings which don't seem to be very helpful...

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
okay do this, get Terminal Emulator. In Terminal Emulator enter "SU" if you are allowed you have root access, if you are not allowed it means you do not have root access...

another thing, why dont you ask you step dad if he rooted his phone.

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He did. Otherwise you can't flash it and load a ROM. And it's a matter of getting an app to work, not checking if it's rooted or not. I've tried rooting it again, but it won't let me since it already is.

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, okay, I've decided to root my phone again. Any clue how to? Unrevoked doesn't recognize my phone and when I put my phone in HBOOT it just has this screen with four solid blocks from to to bottom: red, green, blue, white. Top box says Cotulla stuff... Lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can imagine it would work fine