How well does your first video game hold up on your list of favourites?

Brigand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone who plays games likely has a list of favourite video games, but how high does your first video game (or the first game you remember playing) rank on that list?

My first game was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega MD/Genesis, and it's probably around my 5th favourite game today. What about you guys?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yoshi's Island has always been my favorite game and is still my personal favorite game. There are many games that come super close, like Pokemon MD Explorers of the Sky, but none have taken it's place.

Reactions: Brigand

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm. I have trouble pinning down EXACTLY which game I played first. So, because i am a supervisor and I am the rules, I will just post the games that are in contention for being the first game's I have ever played.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - I played this in a hospital waiting room. I might have been 3 or 4 at the time. My brother, who was very very young had gotten a sort of food infection. I never got past the first 3 levels (given that I was a terrible gamer at the time and Sonic 1 isn't exactly... easy lol) How does it hold up on my list? Not well. I have never really gone back to play it and never really felt the need.

Tetris or Kirby's Dreamland 2 (Brick Gameboy) - My aunt bought a Gameboy and it was bundled with Tetris. I loved it. I loved the game, the screen and the portable gaming handheld. It rocked my world. I knew then and there I was going to save up money and buy one. She also had kirby's dreamland 2, which i was fuzzy if she had both games the first time I played it. I would not call Tetris my favorite game but I would say that Kirby's Dreamland 2 was pretty special to me. I think it holds up but it is probably not in my favorites list.

Donkey Kong Land 2 (Gameboy) - This was the first game I ever owned myself. I asked for a gameboy for my 7th birthday, didn't get one. So I saved my money and bought one with my dad on black friday. I knew that I had to get one before chirstmas because then I could get games for christmas. Anyways. I think that the DKL ports or whatever they were, held up pretty well. Again probably not in my favorite games of all time, but still pretty good.

So none of them really hold up imo, not to be on my top lists.

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first 2 games i have ever played are yoshis island and a link to the past, and they still are some of my favorite games.

if i had to do a list they would be in the top 25 for sure.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The 1st ever game I played (that I can remember)? One of those Game & Watch consoles (Yes I'm that old).
Obviously it ranks pretty low compared to my favorite games today (Just look at my sig)

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First game I ever played was an Asteroids arcade machine, which was astounding when I was four, but is utterly forgettable now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lol...somewhere really near the end of my favorite games list (including all games I ever played). :P

I had to look up the name, but it was manhole on the game & watch. I remember getting it for my birthday (forgot which one, but I think it was in 1985...so I was four or something). I really liked the game, and probably played it a lot over the weekend. Unfortunately, pretty soon after nintendo came out with these dual screen'ish game & watches, which literally had double the amount of game power I had. I guess that's how one of the first battlegrounds on the console wars came into being. :P

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cant remember what truly was my first game, but chances are it was either sonic 1 or 2 or MNOG, those hold up really well, dunno if its nostalgia, but MNOG's atmosphere is amazing for a 2001 flash game

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't remember my first game :(

Maybe it was an electronic game (spiderman, maybe), or a Hang man game on a thomson MO-5, or Mario Bros on NES.
I'll say I don't hold anything to the too old ones (they are bad for current standards), only Mario NES would still be good enough to remember and hold in my heart.
none are in my favorite game list anyway.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with my brother's N64 when i was about 5-6. While I do remember having a gamecube at the time, I mostly remember playing Smash 64 and Ocarina of Time. As of Now, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask is my 5th favorite game(s). As for Smash 64, I love it, Melee and Project M all equally so Smash 64 is somewhere around 9-11 favorite game ever.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what my first video game was, my first video game that I remember was Pokemon Stadium. So that holds up pretty strongly. In the top 10 at least. That rental system too is really my favorite part of the entire franchise. It's why I gravitate to Battle Factory for example.

Reactions: SkylarTheNerd

SkylarTheNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the only games I played as a child were mostly my brother's, the first time I bugged my parents to buy me a game I really wanted was when I was six. It was in the fall of 2004, and Sonic Heroes had been out for a year. I wanted that game so badly, I would pray about it every night before I went to sleep.

I got it for Christmas and I played it everyday until I found out about Paper Mario TTYD.

Game sucks, I give it a 3/100. I'm being generous, cus it was the first game I go to call my own.

Last edited by SkylarTheNerd,

InoxTheBirb

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh boy, my first game. It was either fire emblem: the sacred stones or pokemon emerald. I don't really remember, but both of these games are probably in my top 15 games. Sacred Stones maybe even in my top 5. Then I got FF1 (also for the GBA) and I got sucked into RPGs before I knew it.

Now, that was me talking about consoles. About PC games, I think I played Little Fighter 2 before these...

D

Deleted User

Wow my first game. . . . That was loooooong ago. It was blaster master, yes the nes original. It pretty low on my list nowdays. But it started me on the road to gaming. Once I got super metriod, link to the past and final fantasy 2 I was hooked on the rpg line forever.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ELs8oPS.png

If the pic doesn't work or goes down, a Coleco Telstar (pong clone).

Historic significance aside, didn't even hold up in 1980, let alone 2018...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First one I played at all (The Smurfs for PS1) is still a passable platformer (though the controls/hit detection aren't very good, and it doesn't work on PS3 as iso/pkg since it freezes if it can't play streaming audio)

The PS1 with that game itself was my 5th birthday gift - I didn't even know consoles existed at the time, and my dad surely regretted it a little, due to not only having a competitor for big TV time in the evening, but also all the times I begged for him to compete with me!

All other PS1 games were usually my relatives going to the local supermarket (most of them lived far away), writing down the titles, calling me and choosing on the basis of that alone - ~60% success rate actually...

First one I bought myself at the store was the last Pokemon Crystal they had in 2004, and yes I still consider that a masterpiece (too bad about what weird death happened to it), though Xenoblade for N3DS and more recently Everybody's Golf 2 for the PSP are strong challengers for "best-value game I've ever owned" :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto