Tutorial  Updated

How to Program Game Boy Cartridges using the GBxCart RW

As suggested by someone, this tutorial will show you how to program your already existing Game Boy or Game Boy Advance flash cartridges/bootlegs using the GBxCart RW from insiderGadgets.

Requirements​

Instructions​

• Download the latest version of the FlashGBX software for your operating system; the installer is recommended as it comes bundled with the drivers, which are needed for the GBxCart RW to function.
  • Once the installation has finished, open up the FlashGBX program, the program should then open. You can now connect your GBxCart to your computer. To do this, connect the USB-C end of the cable to the USB-C connector on the GBxCart, then connect the other end into your computer's USB port.
20221124_012413.jpg
20221124_012453.jpg

• When the GBxCart RW is connected, a blue light will glow, which shows that the GBxCart is connected. To confirm that everything works, in the main window, select the "Connect" button.
20221124_013042.jpg
1.jpg

• You will see your device in the bottom-left corner. If you get a window that asks you if you want to update, it is highly recommended that you do so before continuing.
2.jpg

• Insert a compatible flash cartridge into the GBxCart RW (label side facing up).
20221124_014009.jpg

• Then, from the 'Options' section, select the correct mode for your cartridge (mine is for a Game Boy, not GBA). Whatever you do, do NOT select the wrong mode, as that can permanently damage your cartridge with the wrong voltage used.
select-mode.jpg

• It will start to read the cartridge, information about the cartridge is displayed in the 'Cartridge Information' section. In order for the program to write to our cartridge, however, it first needs to know the correct type of flash used, right now it lists it as "generic." To detect what type of cart is being used, we can click the "Detect Flash Cart" button to make it look for us.
old-info.jpg

• And as you can clearly see, my cartridge is recognised as a "2006_TSOP_64BALL_QFP48," which is the name of the circuit board used in the cartridge. Click the "Details" button and note down the voltage used for the cartridge, as we're going to need that later.
4.jpg
check-id.jpg

• To write a new ROM, select the "Write ROM" button and a new explorer window should appear. From there, you can select the ROM of your choice ("Airaki" by Furrtek is going to be used for the tutorial).
5.jpg

• After selecting your ROM, it will tell you what voltage to use. Choose the correct voltage for your cart that you have just written down, and let the GBxCart do the programming. Don't interrupt the programming process, as that can corrupt the cart.
voltage.jpg

• Once finished, a new message will appear saying that the programming was successful, and you can now close out of it. New information about the cart will be displayed which shows that everything works.
done.jpg
new-information.jpg

• Now you can test your creation on which ever Game Boy you are using. If the game runs successfully, then congratulations you have made your first ever Game Boy cart. :toot:
20221124_021204.jpg

Last edited by SylverReZ,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fantastic write up. I don't really need it but for beginners it's a good guide.
I just received my GBxCart RW a few days ago and (after some hiccups) were successfully able to use it with my Steam Deck yesterday. :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fantastic write up. I don't really need it but for beginners it's a good guide.
I just received my GBxCart RW a few days ago and (after some hiccups) were successfully able to use it with my Steam Deck yesterday. :)

Glad you found it helpful.

Reactions: lordelan

GBAbegins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you found it helpful.
I need help figuring out how to use gbxcart properly I'm a beginner. I'm trying to find reproduction cartridges on AliExpress that will work to flash ROMs. I also don't know what type of ROM hacks I am able to put on there because of the file type. I also do not know how to patch. Help me

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now you're out here giving away all my Gameboy secrets, SMH...
/sarcasm

Great tutorial!
Thanks Jayro for the kind words.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols