How to play EUR/JP Games in a USA N64 (3 Methods!)

Every collector loves to collect EUR/JP Games, but hate when the console have Region Lock (sounds stupid region lock)
Soooo, here are my 3 methods to play EUR/JP games in a USA N64 Since N64 doesn't have region lock, only the cartridge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, so, here is a example of the cartridges:
64drive-f-4.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
METHOD 1- Breaking/burning the plastic (to the bottom)
What do you need:
N64 (duh)
Screwdriver Gamebit
you game
Something to break, cut or burn the plastic of the bottom, like a soldering iron

(IF YOU WANT YOU CAN DISSAMBLE YOUR GAME FOR NO DAMAGE YOUR GAME WHEN YOU ARE CUTING, BREAKING OR BURNING YOU N64 GAME!!!)

Just cut the plastic, like this:
CAM00752.jpg

See? Now the cartridge is region free! can run now in USA/EUR N64 Console! Enjoy!
(This cartridge is mine, and it's Pocket Monsters Stadium 2)
And look how my cartridge now works in my USA N64
CAM00758.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

METHOD 2.- Swap USA Case to JP Case

What do you need:
1 USA Game and 1 EUR/JP N64 Game
Gamebit screwdriver and a cross screwdriver

1.-Start disarming your 2 N64 Games, and only swap the motherboard and the rear case.

USA rear case > JP rear case

Like this:
CAM00753.jpg

I swapped my Pokémon Stadium 2 rear case to Pocket Monsters Stadium 2.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method 3: Quit the plastic the Slot region lock

It's a little difficult, and can damage you N64 console if you don't have carefull when you do this, so, you decide.

What do you need:

Gamebit N64 screwdriver
Be carefull when you are opening your N64 console MotherBoard.

Okay, so, start disarming you console, find the slot and dismount it
pic8.jpg
dustguard.jpg

Now, cut, burn or break the stupid plastic who cause the region lock, reassamble you N64 console and look like this:
BEFORE:
CAM00754.jpg

AFTER:
(Ignore the blue color)
8e6e48d5d87b4e343b4089af9cb32c50_preview_medium.JPG

Or other simple method is buying a N64 Adapter for play JP/EUR games :)

Okay, if my pro mlg tutorial worked for someone, im very happy :)
pls sorry if you see bad english or engrish >.<

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2,260
Reactions: elBenyo

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Uh? Nope, my EUR console read normally USA and JP games (sometimes run a little bit slow), i never moded in the motherboard.

PAL (Europe / Australia etc) games and consoles have different security chips than NTSC (USA / Japan / Korea etc).
Brazil got a subset of the NTSC region, their N64 was slightly changed for PAL-M.

Speaking of video... This might be an oversimplification but I believe the general rule on N64 is the console determines color encoding, while the cartridge determines 50Hz or 60Hz.

Reactions: Alex4U

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the OP is not entirely correct.

You cannot play JP and NTSC games on a PAL Nintendo 64. This is due to the lockout chip the Nintendo 64 has.
JP and PAL cartridges are exactly the same, so JP games fits into a PAL N64, but are unplayable due to the lockout chip. It won't give any signal, no matter what TV you have.

You can switch the back of the carts from a JP game with an NTSC game to let it fit into the NTSC Nintendo 64, and it will run correctly. This is because the lockout chip of the Nintendo 64 checks if a game is made for 50hz (PAL) or 60hz (NTSC). Since Japanese games run at 60hz, it uses the NTSC video mode, and the NTSC Nintendo 64 accepts them.

If you only have a PAL Nintendo 64, I suggest you Passport (Plus) III cartridge, but it's advised to just buy either a Japanese or American Nintendo 64 instead.
What converters like Passport does is affect the speed and sound slightly. Yep, there's even a slight sound difference between the versions Nintendo 64. Most noticable in GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark menus, but the sound difference is barely to not noticable in other games.

Hope this extra info missing in the OP helped.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
You cannot play JP and NTSC games on a PAL Nintendo 64. This is due to the lockout chip the Nintendo 64 has.
Sooooo, my n64 is NOT a eur console? D: what a fraud >:C
Anyway, so, i don't have currently the Gamebit screwdriver for N64, and i never opened that eur console (im not sure if have any mod or something like that, or just is a usa motherboard with a eur case? D: )

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want to play JP games in a US N64?

1. Japanese imports are cheap. Cheap US games are pretty rare. Ofcourse there's a chance that a JP game can be expensive.
2. Speedrunning purposes, especially the Zelda games, the 120 Star category in Super Mario 64 and some other games.
3. Collecting purposes.
4. Feeling bad Nintendo doesn't get any money off it anymore Kappa

It's the case for me, pretty weird and yes, I do own an EverDrive, but I still buy original JP cartridges. But number 4 is up to you ^^

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did buy a US N64 when it came out, because i was on vacation in the States back then.
I think i just did leave the grey plastic out instead of cutting the block out, but dont remember 100%.

I know Pal games did not work on my US N64 even with that mod.

Later i used a CD64plus that did even the patching to run Pal games on NTSC N64 and vice versa.

Nowadays you can just use a Everdrive or ED64plus if you want to play.
Since you cant copy your originals you can either buy an old copystation or build this device very cheap: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
I did buy a US N64 when it came out, because i was on vacation in the States back then.
I think i just did leave the grey plastic out instead of cutting the block out, but dont remember 100%.

Later i used a CD64plus that did even the patching to run Pal games on NTSC N64 and vice versa.

Since you cant copy your originals you can either buy an old copystation or build this device very cheap: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader
Looking this old thread gives me cancer, but anyway.

PAL doesn't work on a USA model after all. (Yes, I think I lied ? )

I doubt Everdrive 64 or ED64+ can play PAL games, right?

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico

Looking this old thread gives me cancer, but anyway.

PAL doesn't work on a USA model after all. (Yes, I think I lied ? )

I doubt Everdrive 64 or ED64+ can play PAL games, right?

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Basicly they can play pal Games if you patch the roms PAL/NTSC. Thats what my CD64plus is doin on the fly. You only need to set the system.
However i modded that US N64 for RGB output, not sure if that works flawless without mod but i would guess it would.

If you can find the patches and patcher you can also patch the roms on PC and use em in ED64 or ED64plus i guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.