ROM Hack How to make patches?

LGameTales

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been asking around, How do you make a patch for NDS ROMS?

What program? I've tried both Hex Editor and Lunar IPS, but neither of them work for me. Help?

LGameTales

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
try Xdelta GUI.

Hm.. Ill try it out.

Edit:

Nah, no tutorial on how to use it, and I've already taken hours trying to figure one of these programs out myself. The only 2 programs there don't do anything for me. Thx anyway.

OzanOs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
men for xdelta you just have to select the clean rom first and the edited one as second and let the prog create a patch..

LGameTales

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OzanOs said:
men for xdelta you just have to select the clean rom first and the edited one as second and let the prog create a patch..

Edited one?

I don't have an edited one, thats what my question was. How do you make it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not speak for xdelta gui but I can speak for xdelta- it is my chosen patching method unless I have something better. Go command line if you have to. I am still rocking a v1. something version (it has moved on somewhat since this version but

"xdelta.exe: usage: xdelta.exe COMMAND [OPTIONS] [ARG1 ...]
xdelta.exe: COMMAND is one of:
xdelta.exe: delta Produce a delta from ARG1 to ARG2 producing ARG3
xdelta.exe: info List details about delta ARG1
xdelta.exe: patch Apply patch ARG1 using file ARG2 producing ARG3"

Assuming however the command line stuff has not changed in this regard your command will look something like
"xdelta delta originalrom.nds hackedrom.nds patchfile.file"

Anyhow IPS rarely works on DS roms for two main reasons- 1 is that it is limited to 16 megs in size* and 2 is that it is a dumb method and any shift in the data will be seen as a change; chances are you used some tool to rebuild the entire rom which means the entire rom has effectively changed.

*technically it is 16 minus the end of file (EOF in ASCII) and some implementations (IPS is not exactly a standard) have a window option so you can patch a 16 meg window at X bytes in but not many patchers implement such an extension (again IPS has no real spec).

Some threads you might want to read:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=998...p;#entry1332416
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=127...p;#entry1683892

LGameTales

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You still haven't done step 1 and you're worrying about step 5.

What are you wanting to patch, how, why?

Let us see the big picture.

Ok... Whats step 1?

Im trying to make a translation patch for an NDS game (open up the ROM and change the text in some way). Not literally as easy as opening + retyping something.

QUOTE(Slashmolder @ Apr 3 2010, 01:24 PM) Learn DS assembly. Disassemble the nds file. Find the problematic code and byte patch it.

If I knew how I would've tried it.

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
LGameTales said:
Im trying to make a translation patch for an NDS game (open up the ROM and change the text in some way). Not literally as easy as opening + retyping something.
To translate NDS games you can use Hex Editor, I use CrytalTile2 to translate NDS games. Of course it's not easy to translate games, but if you're a programmer it would be very helpful.
To make a patch I always use xdelta, very easy to use.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ShinRyouma said:
LGameTales said:
To translate NDS games you can use Hex Editor, I use CrytalTile2 to translate NDS games. Of course it's not easy to translate games, but if you're a programmer it would be very helpful.
To make a patch I always use xdelta, very easy to use.

Yes but the text function of CT2 is horrible....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...