Hacking How to know if my Wii is Korean with altered region?

beier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to know if my Wii is Korean with altered region?

There is any homebrew that can verify this?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
AFAIK there isn't... but i'm sure some1 will come correct me, as it sounds like something that should be able to be done...

but FYI, u can mod your wii as if it were Region Changed formerly Korean, and even if it was never Korean, it will work (the opposite is not true though, if u hack it as if it were a normal wii, and it turns out it was originally Korean, the 4.2 update will give u the 003 error/brick unless u have IOS70(IOS60patched)-v54321 installed)

Anyways, use NUS Auto Downloader to mod your wii. If u find out a way to determine if it was once Korean or not, great... but if not, just run NUSAD assuming your wii is regionchanged formerly Korean.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, it should be possible to check for the presence of the Korean key on the system.
After all, that's all the check in IOS70 does afaik (could be wrong)

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
tj_cool said:
Well, it should be possible to check for the presence of the Korean key on the system.
After all, that's all the check in IOS70 does afaik (could be wrong)
+1
very true, not sure if there has been any homebrew developed that can do this

it probably wouldn't be very hard to do (for someone other than me who knows what they're doing). The name of the app would be something like "Korean or Not?" lol

Probably no point when some1 can just check the serial number on the wii though (unless we are worried these are regularly tampered with on Korean region changed wii's)

pretender13

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The serial number is not always a good identifier either, as there are places (pacific m***) that put the the korean boards in us shells and thus people have no idea they are using a korean wii and update to 4.2 and brick it with 003 error, thus ending up screwed.

I'd say check for the presence of the korean ios's but some might use darkcorp which by default installs the korean ios's too.

Would be nice if there was a tool for this
smile.gif

Could be a good feature for mmm who knows.
smile.gif

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
or just use NUSAD to get those wads!

lol, good old pacific mall, my chinatown backyard... damn I need a vacation, lol

I'll direct a couple of devs I think may be interested in building a small app like this to this thread... who knows, maybe we may just have a Korean Key Detector app in our futures
biggrin.gif

beier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What causes the error 003? The regions of the System menu and sysconf differ?
I saw this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZzUH_Zsd7c

Note that the 2:26 appears on the screen:
"Your System Menu and sysconf regions Differ."

This could be used? My Wii is 4.1U (updated via Waninkoko offline method).
I do not intend to upgrade to 4.2 but I wondered if I could check ...

ps: sorry for my bad English.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's not a vid of a 003 error
If you get error 003, all you see is a black screen like:
error%20003.jpg

The cause is simple afaik: System menu 4.2 asks IOS70 to check for the korean key. If it's there -> 003 error.
4.2K probably doesn't do this as else that'd give 003 error as well
tongue.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Just start a nand backup using bootmii and stop it... it will dump the keys.bin file... check it to see if the korean key slot is filled... it's empty on other wiis...
Of course you can already see it through the serial if it's not faked...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
beier said:
Well, in short, a homebrew that could check the existence of key Korean would be enough...

Sorry no one would write one just because you want it... just get your keys.bin and open it in a hex editor... see if you got any values other than zeroes between 0x274 - 0x284... if yes then it's a korean wii...

beier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Sorry no one would write one just because you want it... just get your keys.bin and open it in a hex editor... see if you got any values other than zeroes between 0x274 - 0x284... if yes then it's a korean wii...

I do not remember asking anyone to write to me... I ask? No.

My sentence was only a conclusion that I had, not a request. However, it would be helpful not only for me but for many others.

Do not worry, I did not ask for you or anyone else to write this homebrew.

If someone wants to write, would be a great help. If anyone wants, patience. : D

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
easiest way to be sure is just install IOS70 to slot 69. then do the same simple check the system menu does, then delete the IOS. since you use slot 69, you are sure that you dont do anything stupid that can brick the wii or mess with any IOS used in normal operation.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
giantpune said:
easiest way to be sure is just install IOS70 to slot 69. then do the same simple check the system menu does, then delete the IOS. since you use slot 69, you are sure that you dont do anything stupid that can brick the wii or mess with any IOS used in normal operation.

doh... how come is it easier than just getting the keys of the wii and lurking at a a specified position at the file? btw ftpii also supports dumping the keys.. just dump the korean key from that system using ftpii and lurk at the file if it's all zeroes or not...

QUOTE(beier @ Jun 4 2010, 11:33 PM) Well, in short, a homebrew that could check the existence of key Korean would be enough...

@OP : Isn't this asking? You're already said that there is no such specific homebrew directly doing that...

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because unlike you and me, not everybody has or even knows how to use a hex editor. saying "look at 0x..." doesnt make sense to them. they want a simple message on the screen "this wii has the korean key"

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
giantpune said:
because unlike you and me, not everybody has or even knows how to use a hex editor. saying "look at 0x..." doesnt make sense to them. they want a simple message on the screen "this wii has the korean key"

well then how come installing IOS70 to slot 69 is any simpler than using a hex editor? Well one-eyed is the king where everyone is blind...

beier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy, that phrase was not a question, just a thought ... When I ask a question, I use "?" in the end.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: link in the description