Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If we want get money for Absestos project we need get attention of game web, famous magazines and gamer. For this is necessary finish one famous console like Dreamcast or MAME and work on others cores after the first one (Dreamcast or MAME) is finished. Dont work on 4 cores on some times.

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
Going by silence abut crashes, I assume the fix is indeed working.

I have played with RetriX myself on the Xbox and it's been stable, but 3 hours of Sonic 2 is not the most extensive testing...

At this point, I'd like to say two things:
1. A HUGE thank you to @SheruShaku
2. If possible, how did you figure out what the problem was? To be perfectly honest, I don't get why the fix works at all.

The exception thrown in the corebase should not cause the whole app to crash: it should be caught in Win2DCoreRunner.cs like so

try
{
Coordinator.Core?.RunFrame();
}
catch (Exception e)
{
GameID = null;
CoreIsExecuting = false;
Coordinator.AudioPlayer?.Stop();
CoreRunExceptionOccurred(Coordinator.Core, e);
}

Which basically stops the game's execution, goes to the system selection page and shows an error message. I did test this and it works on PC.
I also don't understand how the core can keep working after it somehow made enough of a mess to throw an exception in the first place.

Is there something about WinRT on the Xbox I am missing?

About other matters raised:

- I believe the reason why the PSX core runs slow on Xbox is, pure and simple, CPU power: as I said previously the Xbox has very slow CPUs compared to current PCs, and BeetlePSX is not as optimized as PCSX (no Dynarec for starter). Having to use software rendering adds to that
- I am sadly unable to get the Dreamcast core to compile. I fear I am going to need assistance form the Libretro guys to get this to work, but before I can ask about that I need to work with them to hopefully get the changes I made to the DS, Genesis and possibly Saturn core approved.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going by silence abut crashes, I assume the fix is indeed working.

I have played with RetriX myself on the Xbox and it's been stable, but 3 hours of Sonic 2 is not the most extensive testing...

At this point, I'd like to say two things:
1. A HUGE thank you to @SheruShaku
2. If possible, how did you figure out what the problem was? To be perfectly honest, I don't get why the fix works at all.

The exception thrown in the corebase should not cause the whole app to crash: it should be caught in Win2DCoreRunner.cs like so

try
{
Coordinator.Core?.RunFrame();
}
catch (Exception e)
{
GameID = null;
CoreIsExecuting = false;
Coordinator.AudioPlayer?.Stop();
CoreRunExceptionOccurred(Coordinator.Core, e);
}

Which basically stops the game's execution, goes to the system selection page and shows an error message. I did test this and it works on PC.
I also don't understand how the core can keep working after it somehow made enough of a mess to throw an exception in the first place.

Is there something about WinRT on the Xbox I am missing?

About other matters raised:

- I believe the reason why the PSX core runs slow on Xbox is, pure and simple, CPU power: as I said previously the Xbox has very slow CPUs compared to current PCs, and BeetlePSX is not as optimized as PCSX (no Dynarec for starter). Having to use software rendering adds to that
- I am sadly unable to get the Dreamcast core to compile. I fear I am going to need assistance form the Libretro guys to get this to work, but before I can ask about that I need to work with them to hopefully get the changes I made to the DS, Genesis and possibly Saturn core approved.

I would also like to know how @SheruShaku found this fix. Like is he a wizard? O.o

I would recommend trying PCSX-R if possible as the PS1 Core since it's more optimized. Hopefully the libretro guys will work with you

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would also like to know how @SheruShaku found this fix. Like is he a wizard? O.o

I would recommend trying PCSX-R if possible as the PS1 Core since it's more optimized. Hopefully the libretro guys will work with you
I second this, PCSX-R seems a far better candidate for the Xbox compared to Mednafen PS1 Core, Please @Absestos consider porting that core for us? That way PC and Xbox users get playable PS1 Cores :)

Last edited by ploggy,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos can you look into adding more old consoles aswell like neo geo pocket, turbo-grafx 16 and cd, atari 2600, wonderswan

also can you make a selection for gameboy color so people know it exists
yeah I do not how easy would it be to port pcsx-r but I would love that to get ported soon. since dreamcast seems to require more effort. but that is my opinion, I could be wrong. For retro style console, I would love dos box, mame or prboom @Absestos

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a question how does the Nintendo ds emulator work. I cant run it

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I do not how easy would it be to port pcsx-r but I would love that to get ported soon. since dreamcast seems to require more effort. but that is my opinion, I could be wrong. For retro style console, I would love dos box, mame or prboom @Absestos

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a question how does the Nintendo ds emulator work. I cant run it
you need all bios and firmware and have an extracted rom in order to play it

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@Absestos can you look into adding more old consoles aswell like neo geo pocket, turbo-grafx 16 and cd, atari 2600, wonderswan

also can you make a selection for gameboy color so people know it exists

I think that we must focused on one or two cores.

BTW I work on Atari 7800 (it has backward compatibilities with Atari 2600) from Mike, but it is a little difficult (for me) :-)

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
At this point, rather than more cores I think we need to raise awareness.

This means appealing to all Windows 10 users rather than pushing RetriX as an Xbox only thing.

I am in the process of acquiring a certificate (cost 60 bucks so far) that will make it possible to install RetriX by just double clicking the installer file on desktop and mobile, just like a traditional desktop app.

In addition to that, it would be very helpful to have a good looking landing page with a huge download button (and a donate button too) to direct people to when advertising.

Does anyone feel like creating this landing page? I just need a plain html/css page, no wordpress or anything fancy, and I'll take care of setup and hosting.

Reactions: kingtut and Flux0

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, rather than more cores I think we need to raise awareness.

This means appealing to all Windows 10 users rather than pushing RetriX as an Xbox only thing.

I am in the process of acquiring a certificate (cost 60 bucks so far) that will make it possible to install RetriX by just double clicking the installer file on desktop and mobile, just like a traditional desktop app.

In addition to that, it would be very helpful to have a good looking landing page with a huge download button (and a donate button too) to direct people to when advertising.

Does anyone feel like creating this landing page? I just need a plain html/css page, no wordpress or anything fancy, and I'll take care of setup and hosting.
gonna be hard to raise awareness here at a console only forum

i dont know anyone who uses this for pc no offense but why would people use this over retroarch? its very bare in comparison

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I must agree with dominater01. Priority of RETRIX must be Xbox ONE, because on Xbox is only few emulators (NESBOX and XB1EMU) that is difference with PC. Of course mobile and PC users are welcome

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna be hard to raise awareness here at a console only forum

i dont know anyone who uses this for pc no offense but why would people use this over retroarch? its very bare in comparison

Because if more people are willing to help develop the Windows 10 version that will be less work Absestos has to put in to get all basic features working. He could spend his time making sure what is done works fine on the Xbox One itself.

Reactions: wiired24

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with making a website to raise awareness, but I do not agree with making the focus be windows 10. I feel that retrix has an advantage on windows phones and xbox one (and HoloLens?). otherwise, people would just use retroarch until retrix gets a lot of cores. Let me see if I can help with the website.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Can you make multiple translation reauests?