Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Status update, since I have been silent for a while now.

Sadly, things are not going well: as I mentioned before, since Libretro cores use OpenGL ES for 3D rendering for the most part, I need to rewrite RetriX's 3D renderer to account for it.

Now, UWP does not support anything but DirectX for 3D rendering, but luckily Google and Microsoft have created Angle, a library that translates OpenGL too DirectX while using hardware acceleration.

Problem is, the UWP port of Angle Microsoft created for UWP is buggy and all the work around I have tried to come up with are not working for different reasons (you can see my current attempts as different branches in the repo - I have basically rewritten my 3D rendering code five times now).

I have reported the issue to Microsoft via github, but the project doesn't seem all that active and I am afraid it'll be a while before I get an answer, let alone a resolution. I know this seems like a huge waste of time, but the payoff of enabling hardware acceleration for Libretro cores (and thus have a path to modern consoles) is too tempting to ignore.

At this point, I may as well ask: does anyone here have experience with Angle/OpenGL ES and DXGI interop?

1. I hear that Microsoft replies better on MSDN, so I think you should report there in addition to GitHub like you already did.

2. Is there a way to temporarily release retrix on xbox one as an html5 similar to retroarch web player or playboxie? this way you can release retrix as a non uwp app similar to playboxie. and It is only a temp solution until you get a reply.

3. Even if the above solution does not work, Thank you so much for not giving up in the project, and I hope you hear an answer soon. I am going to research Angle ES and DXGI and see what I can do.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by ploggy,

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
@ploggy Believe me, I am gutted too.

Thank you for the link, by the way: I was thinking about doing just that - creating the texture in the Angle context and somehow sharing it back to my Direct3D context.
Don't know if I can gat that to work (or if it's supported in the UWP version of Angle I have to use), but very much worth a shot.

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ploggy Believe me, I am gutted too.

Thank you for the link, by the way: I was thinking about doing just that - creating the texture in the Angle context and somehow sharing it back to my Direct3D context.
Don't know if I can gat that to work (or if it's supported in the UWP version of Angle I have to use), but very much worth a shot.

I'm glad if it can be of some use :) I see you started adding new cores again, something to look forward to ;)

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I managed to get the free dev mode registration to work, I sent 10 euro your way to help inch a bit closer to the goal.

Heres to one day being able to replace my original xbox because my XB1 will emulate all the same stuff and more! :)

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I managed to get the free dev mode registration to work, I sent 10 euro your way to help inch a bit closer to the goal.

Heres to one day being able to replace my original xbox because my XB1 will emulate all the same stuff and more! :)

Thanks for donating I'll add your name to the list of all the awesome peeps who have donated to the RetriX Project

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thing about the fundraiser is he doesn't say what it costs individually for the xbox one and activator so if he gets enough for the xbox one will he take some money to buy the xbox first

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm assuming he'd get the Xbox as soon as he gets enough funds. As for price in the UK you can get a second hand Xbox for just over £100.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psx core is not working =/

You need to have both the .bin and .cue files in the same directory. Then select the .cue file

Then select the game folder directory

Also you need to make sure that you have the PS1 Bios loaded in to RetriX as well.

PS1 right now is a bit rough around the edges, it's still being worked on and to that end I'd recommend waiting

levantacadeira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You need to have both the .bin and .cue files in the same directory. Then select the .cue file

Then select the game folder directory

Also you need to make sure that you have the PS1 Bios loaded in to RetriX as well.

PS1 right now is a bit rough around the edges, it's still being worked on and to that end I'd recommend waiting

it's need to be ".bin" ? because im using/testing .iso games with .cue files as well

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
it's need to be ".bin" ? because im using/testing .iso games with .cue files as well

Yes, the PlayStation core needs either bin/cue files or pbp files to work.

Don't ask me why (I find it strange too), I am only porting the cores as they are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the thing about the fundraiser is he doesn't say what it costs individually for the xbox one and activator so if he gets enough for the xbox one will he take some money to buy the xbox first

I am already signed up as a Windows developer (I have apps in the store already) and I can see the registered Xbox section in my store dashboard, so I believe I am covered for the Dev mode activation already

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the PlayStation core needs either bin/cue files or pbp files to work.

Don't ask me why (I find it strange too), I am only porting the cores as they are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am already signed up as a Windows developer (I have apps in the store already) and I can see the registered Xbox section in my store dashboard, so I believe I am covered for the Dev mode activation already
i meant the activator for windows authenticode

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll send a donation as well. If I had my launch Xbox One I would have offered to send it. :/ Hope you get Angle working!

EDIT: GoFundMe won't let me use my card. Is it because it's in Euros only? Could I just send money through PayPal? I plan to send 20 Euros worth.

EDIT2: My bank's automated fraud detection just called. I got an error on GoFundMe but when they gave me the amount, it was the exact same USD amount that 20 Euro converts to so I verified it. I want to donate but I want to give it a few days and see if it shows up on my account. My transactions don't update on weekends.

Last edited by Selim873,
Reactions: ploggy and wiired24

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: ah ok