How to install 2 operating systems?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 934
  • Replies 5
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello. My dad got a pc and the thing is that he installed windows 10 pro with an activation disk, but he also wants to install windows 7 with my disk, to run windows xp mode. do i need to shrink the partitions and cut them or anything like that? thanks!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If the main reason for installing Windows 7 is to install Windows XP Mode I believe there are better alternatives available.

1. Installing Windows XP in a more advanced virtual machine such as VMware Workstation Player or Virtualbox.
2. Installing Windows XP Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V. From a bit of research this can be accomplished if you have a Hyper-V capable CPU and Windows 10 Pro of which the latter you already have. There are then instructions to install XP as a virtual machine, but doing this requires more steps and doesn't accomplish much more than what VMware or Virtualbox does.

D

Deleted User

OP
If the main reason for installing Windows 7 is to install Windows XP Mode I believe there are better alternatives available.

1. Installing Windows XP in a more advanced virtual machine such as VMware Workstation Player or Virtualbox.
2. Installing Windows XP Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V. From a bit of research this can be accomplished if you have a Hyper-V capable CPU and Windows 10 Pro of which the latter you already have. There are then instructions to install XP as a virtual machine, but doing this requires more steps and doesn't accomplish much more than what VMware or Virtualbox does.
I dont want to install windows xp as a virtual machine because i dont own a product key.
how do i know if my cpu supports hyper v?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I dont want to install windows xp as a virtual machine because i dont own a product key.
how do i know if my cpu supports hyper v?
The latter option would still require a serial key since it's not running within the originally intended software so if that is the concern then the latter option would not work either. I do not believe a serial key for an unsupported OS would cost too much, but that is not a solution unless you'd be willing to buy a key from somewhere.

D

Deleted User

OP
The latter option would still require a serial key since it's not running within the originally intended software so if that is the concern then the latter option would not work either. I do not believe a serial key for an unsupported OS would cost too much, but that is not a solution unless you'd be willing to buy a key from somewhere.
Yeah I just shrunk the primary partition to half and then installed windows 7 with the disk. Thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just shrunk the primary partition to half and then installed windows 7 with the disk. Thanks

Keep in mind that Windows 7 support end next January, so he only really go few months to mess around with it if he want OEM supports. As for how you can install Windows 7 , you can either set up another partition on the same HDD, use a second HDD, or use like a virtual machine.

Last edited by Hayato213,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!