Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's why I use MACycle.
Prime MACs should be hardcoded.

I didn't delve deeper into what nzone.exe does and doesn't.
I had more fun decompressing it, what the author apparently tried to prevent.
Either to hide the programming language or hide stuff we are not supposed to know.

Reactions: JRave

lucky644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Either to hide the programming language or hide stuff we are not supposed to know.

I thought MACycle was a dead project? It still works?

Also; I noticed that nzone is not applying the correct mac addresses to the shared connection, which may or may not have anything to do with it. Oddly enough the 3ds still thinks its a nintendo zone even though the applied mac is no longer pulling from the macs list.

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I've been wondering about that too.
The problem is that nzone is the only "method" i could get to work.

I find the tutorial in all the other methods severely lacking, as in they were written for people with more base-knowledge in this area than I have and I really dislike asking for help in tech-related foruns because I know the things I'll ask will probably be obvious for the people there and the end result is me thinking: "well, at least I was just ignored instead of lynched".

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I thought MACycle was a dead project? It still works?

Also; I noticed that nzone is not applying the correct mac addresses to the shared connection, which may or may not have anything to do with it. Oddly enough the 3ds still thinks its a nintendo zone even though the applied mac is no longer pulling from the macs list.

This thing runs on for like.. almost 2 weeks (not on a daily basis) .

There is a difference between Nintendo Zone and the MAC.

SSID: attwifi is just Streetpass with no Nintendo Zone anymore. <- I use that one with 160 MACs, changed every 450 secs.
SSID: NZ@McD1 gets registered as Nintendo Zone by 3DS, regardless of MAC.
Since it never has content in the Viewer (unless it a genuine McDonalds), I do not use this.

lucky644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This thing runs on for like.. almost 2 weeks (not on a daily basis) .

There is a difference between Nintendo Zone and the MAC.

SSID: attwifi is just Streetpass with no Nintendo Zone anymore. <- I use that one with 160 MACs, changed every 450 secs.
SSID: NZ@McD1 gets registered as Nintendo Zone by 3DS, regardless of MAC.
Since it never has content in the Viewer (unless it a genuine McDonalds), I do not use this.

So if I'm using my laptop, which is connected to wifi, nzone made a shared wifi hotspot. MACycle doesn't do this, it requires one setup.

How do I set one of those up on a Windows 7 machine? I looked but couldn't see how.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So if I'm using my laptop, which is connected to wifi, nzone made a shared wifi hotspot. MACycle doesn't do this, it requires one setup.

How do I set one of those up on a Windows 7 machine? I looked but couldn't see how.

This really depends on the used Wi-Fi Hardware. Atheros Chipsets just suck and don't do anything.
In that case you have to setup a hostednetwork beforehand, which will install a Virtual Wifi.

All you need to do is to tell MACShift after that to use that new Virtual Wifi Connection to shift, not your primary Wifi for the internet.
Once it is set up, you won't change much afterwards.

I find the tutorial in all the other methods severely lacking, as in they were written for people with more base-knowledge in this area than I have and I really dislike asking for help in tech-related foruns because I know the things I'll ask will probably be obvious for the people there and the end result is me thinking: "well, at least I was just ignored instead of lynched".

It took me hours to figure out how my Wifi worked, cause it does really wierd stuff.

Reactions: DeaGrimm

lucky644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I was able to manually get into the hostednetwork settings and set it up for use with Chaldron's, still don't know why nzone.exe failed....

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
At least you can use Homepass now, right? :3

I wonder why on nzone a "cache" has to be emptied (there should be none) .
This thing just downloads TEXTFILES from an Apache (probably WAMP) a couple times.
Since he runs that over a certain dumb 3rd Party domain registrar, he just have forgotten to reenable his DNS, means no nzone-client could get the MAC-data (domain down), probably resulting in clientside-garbage.

Befuddled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is what bothers me about the nzone.exe thing. Why is there any need for a cache on the creator's website?

Yeah, this is the main reason why I want to switch to something like SpillpassPi when I can, once it gets its next major update. Something more reliable, and something I know works the way it should. I don't know/understand the inner workings of nzone.exe, and I don't like how it can just suddenly die if something obstructs my connection to his server (eg. laptop overheating and shutting down in the middle of a key exchange with his server? Oops, won't work again until a server cache clear.) Questions about why a server is needed aside, it just adds another thing to the mix that could potentially go wrong.

lucky644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At least you can use Homepass now, right? :3

I wonder why on nzone a "cache" has to be emptied (there should be none) .
This thing just downloads TEXTFILES from an Apache (probably WAMP) a couple times.
Since he runs that over a certain dumb 3rd Party domain registrar, he just have forgotten to reenable his DNS, means no nzone-client could get the MAC-data (domain down), probably resulting in clientside-garbage.

Well, no. I mean it 'works' but I do not get any streetpasses. I believe this is due to it not working with a passworded network?

Unfortunately hostednetwork (the virtual network) in windows REQUIRES a network password.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This Info is for Windows 7 Only. I have no clue if it will work with Windows 8 and I am completely clueless on Linux. I suggest reading through everything first before you start changing anything.

Ok you might be able to do it with the Realtek USB adapter on Windows 7. First you should undo any changes you made when you attempted to get it working prior. You should get your network connections down to just your onboard connection.

Download the realtek driver+utility from the realtek website. (Utility and Driver Auto Installation Program version 1021.3.0912.2012) Install from that without having your usb adapter plugged in. There is a chance that the install hangs on installing Cisco EAP-Fast. If that happens force close the installer then use the 3 installers in the EAP folder that came with the drivers.

Once that is done you should have a realtek wifi utility running in the task bar. (Blue crab looking thing) Insert your wifi adapter then click the crab to open the utility. At this point the utility+adapter will be scanning for wifi hotspots, which is fine. Make sure there is a drop down option listed as Mode, and that you can switch to AP(Access Point) mode. If you are unable to switch it to access point mode, then sadly you won't be able to this method.

Open up your Network connections and you should only see your onboard network connection and the wifi adapter. Rename your wifi connection to "Wi-Fi". Select both and right click them and you should see the option of "Bridge Connections", select it and let windows bridge them. You'll get a new connection called Network Bridge. (If you have a static ip for your computer setup, you will have to add those settings to the network bridge.)

Go back to the realtek wifi utility and switch it to access point mode. Once it finally switches over click config and set your SSID and make sure the 2 drop downs are set to "Open System" and "Disabled". This will make the adapter work as an unprotected wifi access point.

Next we need a program to switch MAC Addresses. The program I have been using is called MACPass which was made by someone here on GBATemp. If you named your wifi network connection to something other than Wi-Fi you will have to change a setting in the config.ini file within the MACPass folder before you start.

At this point you should have your wifi adapter broadcasting thanks to the realtek wifi utility, and it should be bridged to your onboard connection allowing for internet access. You should test first by making sure your computer has internet, then checking via your 3ds after confirming your computer has access. If you have no other wifi access in your home, you can just check via the browser. If you have your 3ds already setup for your main wifi connection, you can just edit the wifi connections in your 3ds by adding 1 letter to the ssid. This will stop your 3ds from seeing your home wifi and force it use the new open wifi connection from the realtek. The realtek utility will also show when someone is connected to the adapter by listing the device's mac address. Once you know your 3ds mac address, it will make it easier to keep track of anyone else connecting to the open wifi connection.

If everything is working and you can connect to the internet via your 3ds, then it is time for you to start up MACPass. MACPass comes with some default mac addresses that will randomize when you first launch the program. You can add your own MAC's via macs.txt file but you have to keep in mind that Windows will only allow you to change MAC addresses based around "x2, x6, xA, or xE" for the first octet. In the MACPass program uncheck Virtual Miniport if it is checked, then change your delay to 70. (The extra delay is an attempt to adjust for the extra time it takes for the realtek utility to restart and begin broadcasting.) Now click start and the wifi connection and realtek utility should restart itself. I suggest having the utility open so you can keep an eye on it.

Providing everything is working correctly, your 3ds should eventually find the hotspot and begin to streetpass. If you do not notice your 3ds mac address connecting to the hotspot via the realtek utility, save/pause macpass before it automatically changes to the next MAC. If you see your 3ds connect to the hotspot, but do not get a streetpass try another MAC. I have noticed that sometimes I just do not get streetpasses from certain MAC Addresses, I do not know the reason behind it. I know that sometimes I will not get any if my plaza is full, so I will check my 3ds notifications every couple of MAC addresses to see if I am full and need to clear out.

This method requires you to babysit the programs sadly, as the realtek utility will crash sometimes and stop broadcasting. Also every so often MACPass itself will freeze and close. Very rarely will the programs look to be working, but the wifi adapter will be "disconnected" according to windows. When this happens I pause MACPass then disable/re-enable the wifi adapter until its listed as "connected". When you do not wish to use homepass, you just have to disable the wifi connection (Do Not Disable Network Bridge). Even with the wifi disabled and the adapter removed from the computer, you will still have internet access on the computer. Although windows likes to forget the network bridge settings upon reboot if you use a static ip.

Seems to be my WLAN-Device is supported but it does not work on my PCs. I tried Win7,Win8.1 and 2012R2. You can even use the newest drivers provided by microsoft with this tool. Ill get an instant BSOD when I enable AP-Mode. Seems to be a chipset issue. This would explain why it didn't work on linux either. I give up now and try it again when I get new hardware.

Well, no. I mean it 'works' but I do not get any streetpasses. I believe this is due to it not working with a passworded network?

Unfortunately hostednetwork (the virtual network) in windows REQUIRES a network password.

Since fw9.3(?) nintendo changed the streetpass functions. They do not work anymore when you use a pw-protected AcessPoint. With windows-only tools (and 3rd party) its not possible to create an unsecured AcessPoint. If nzone.exe or tools provided by the manufecturer of your wifi-dongle do not work for you, you're screwed

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
duke_srg - Do you have any ideas on why it worked for a hour, and now I receive no data through the virtual wifi ConsoleNintendo3DS?

I quoted your last post so you'd be notified.

Just realize that not every MAC change will give you a streetpass data. If MAC address is changing any you're able to connect with Nintendo Zone application then there is nothin you can do. It is all on Nintendo site. Just keep script running and it will work in some time.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems to be my WLAN-Device is supported but it does not work on my PCs. I tried Win7,Win8.1 and 2012R2. You can even use the newest drivers provided by microsoft with this tool. Ill get an instant BSOD when I enable AP-Mode. Seems to be a chipset issue. This would explain why it didn't work on linux either. I give up now and try it again when I get new hardware.

Damn sorry to hear about that. :(

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just realize that not every MAC change will give you a streetpass data.

Each of the Prime MAC and Extended MACs gives StreetPasses, unless they are not populated/cycled.
If Users don't get StreetPasses, either the connection is broken or that MAC isn't used / can't be used at all.

Your program cycles through 256 MACs, where only 160 MACs are relevant.
Chaldron cycles 15 or 100 MAC,
MACycle cycles 160 MAC,
MACpass cycles 160 MAC

You might get yourself a cheap Wifi-Dongle capable of AP-mode (more reliable then hostednetwork) .
Or you find a way to use the Virtual Wifi for your internet and the hardware for Homepass

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just realize that not every MAC change will give you a streetpass data. If MAC address is changing any you're able to connect with Nintendo Zone application then there is nothin you can do. It is all on Nintendo site. Just keep script running and it will work in some time.

I realize that, but now it's been 3 days, at least one hour a day w/ nzone running and no streetpasses.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a setup, which doesn't use hostednetwork at all (for unknown reasons) and relies on hardware.

my Wifi-Dongle is capable of AP-Mode, so I switch into it with the installed utility.

Here is my setup :

A Networkcard called "LAN-Verbindung", this is wired and has its connection shared (done automatically by the Ralink Utility)
Firewall Access is allowed to Port 80 and 443, nothing else
This is used to access the internet.

A Wifi-Dongle called "Wlan-Stick", this has its IP settings changed and protocols disabled except TCP/IP4 and Firewall ones.
IP settings for that dongle (manually assigned) :
IP: 192.168.0.1 (Ralink sets 192.168.123.1, original Windows does use 192.168.137.1)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: no gateway IP set
DNS: no DNS settings / blank (should at least be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.137.1 usually)

The Virtual Wifi is called "Virtual Wifi", and isn't attached to anything, neither SSID or something else.
All network protocols disabled except IPv4 and Firewall ones.
Just a dummy created by the Ralink Utility.

The Accesspoint is setup with the Ralink Utility, SSID: "attwifi", Open and unencrypted.
TX Power is set to "low".
Created Ad-hoc Network is called "attwifi" (3DS will see that too). Do not change or disconnect this.

The Wifi-Dongle has no official method to change it's MAC, but solved by registry and verified with "ipconfig /all".
When MACycle starts, it will set the MAC anyway, so no worries. no registry fiddle.

MACycle config:
Cooldown should be 10 secs.
Network Adapter is set to "Wlan-Stick", the hardware itself.
"Use Hosted network" is unchecked and the service is stopped.

Disable the Wifi-Hardware, start MAcycle and click "START!" it should assign a MAC and restart the hardware.

After you have setup all that, you may get a network sniffer and set the interface (to sniff from) to the Wifi.
This way you can check WTF the 3DS does. If you get lots of traffic in like 10 seconds and the 3DS blinks green, congratz. It works.

I realize that, but now it's been 3 days, at least one hour a day w/ nzone running and no streetpasses.

nzone uses 256 MAC, where all others except nzone users use 160..
256 - 160 = 96 MACs without users (except nzone ones) .
Switch to MAC16 or use a different cycler.

On MACcycle I can get my Mii Lobby full with 2 MACs..

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Syphos European streetpass data is shared by Nintendo, so actual MAC do not matter, only the fact that you have changed it to another one. Actual number of macs is upto 64*256 because upper 6 bits of first octet may be changed by the driver, but your driver can hit only 256 of them. So once again, the actual MAC do not matter, for European hotspot, such as used now in nzone, and as long as Nintendo shares street pass data.

You might get yourself a cheap Wifi-Dongle capable of AP-mode (more reliable then hostednetwork) .
Or you find a way to use the Virtual Wifi for your internet and the hardware for Homepass[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: Has anyone posted a "Companies after Pride Month" meme yet