Tutorial  Updated

How to get custom skins in Minecraft New 3ds Editions

This ISN’T my guide. Go to https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13058

Texture hacking Minecraft 3DS is great to be able to play your own skin ingame, but it looks like with updates installed, no custom skins appear.
Luma LayeredFS doesn't look like it wants to patch updates, and from my experience OnionFS just immediately crashes even without any edits, so here's how to get them in another way!
Preparations:
Extract these 3 programs aswell as 'ignore_3dstool.txt' and 'ext_key.txt' into the same folder.
Using command prompt is needed to do this, but lucky for you I've already written the commands.
Method:
  1. Extract your .cia file of the Minecraft Update (not regular Minecraft) from your 3DS, using any method. Make sure your extracted .cia is encrypted (you can encrypt it with Godmode9).

2. Put this .cia in the same folder as the programs, and open HackingToolkit9DS.

3. In HackingToolkit9DS, type CE and hit enter, then enter the name of your .cia file. Wait until it is done extracting.

4. Rename the folder ExtractedRomFS to just 'romfs'. (Note: If this folder doesn't exist, then your .cia wasn't encrypted.) Make sure not to rename anything else!!

5. Inside the romfs folder, make any edits you want to. There are other tutorials on making custom skins which you can follow.
    Tip: The skin name can be changed in the .blang files in romfs\loc\

6. Open command prompt in this folder by entering 'cmd' into the top bar of file explorer.

7. In cmd, run this command: 3dstool -cvtf romfs romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs/ and wait for it to finish building your romfs.bin file.

8. Then run this command: 3dstool -cvtf cxi minecraft.cxi --header HeaderNCCH0.bin --exh DecryptedExHeader.bin --plain PlainRGN.bin --exefs DecryptedExeFS.bin --romfs romfs.bin and again wait until it is finished building your file.

9. And finally, run this command: makerom -f cia -o newminecraft.cia -content minecraft.cxi:0:0 -ver 9408
    (Note: 9408 is the version of the latest update, you can check your update version in FBI if you want to set it accurately.)
    You'll get a warning running this command, but it's fine because the .cia functions just as it should anyway.
If you successfully managed to paste in these commands to cmd while having the correct filenames, you should now have a newly made 'newminecraft.cia' file, which contains your custom skins.

Simply just put this onto your SD card, boot up FBI, and install your .cia file!
Whenever you need to make an edit, just update the 'romfs' folder and run the 3 cmd commands again.

Tips:
Check witch skins you can replace, some skins, when you replace them look messed up, just replace the Steve's or Alex’s you can try replacing other things but always leave backup png’s of the skins your replacing.

You can put in any skin just make sure it’s in the format of the 3ds skins, if you put them in normally they’ll be backwards. You have to flip them to make them work.

If it’s a REALLY old skin it’ll still work, but you have to convert it into modern style then flip it.

I do have a video tutorial but it’s really cringy so if you REALLY want to see it PM me.

Last edited by PokeNev, , Reason: Tips

PokeNev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Deleted-447617

Deleted member 411764

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AGAIN, I’ve tried all of that and IT DOESN’T WORK! It just doesn’t. You’re probably thinking “ bs why would the thread would have been made in the first place? ” It only worked on past updates, in the newest update it doesn’t work.

The point is that another thread is not needed. You could've contacted the owner of the previous thread to update the guide with you own. Also, I followed the guide and I am not experiencing any problems. You most likely followed the guide wrong as it works for me.

PokeNev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is that another thread is not needed. You could've contacted the owner of the previous thread to update the guide with you own. Also, I followed the guide and I am not experiencing any problems. You most likely followed the guide wrong as it works for me.
That’s since you probably haven’t updated your game. Once you update it that method no longer works, also that thread is dead.

Reactions: Deleted-447617
D

Deleted User

This ISN’T my guide. Go to https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13058

Texture hacking Minecraft 3DS is great to be able to play your own skin ingame, but it looks like with updates installed, no custom skins appear.
Luma LayeredFS doesn't look like it wants to patch updates, and from my experience OnionFS just immediately crashes even without any edits, so here's how to get them in another way!
Preparations:
Extract these 3 programs aswell as 'ignore_3dstool.txt' and 'ext_key.txt' into the same folder.
Using command prompt is needed to do this, but lucky for you I've already written the commands.
Method:
  1. Extract your .cia file of the Minecraft Update (not regular Minecraft) from your 3DS, using any method. Make sure your extracted .cia is encrypted (you can encrypt it with Godmode9).

2. Put this .cia in the same folder as the programs, and open HackingToolkit9DS.

3. In HackingToolkit9DS, type CE and hit enter, then enter the name of your .cia file. Wait until it is done extracting.

4. Rename the folder ExtractedRomFS to just 'romfs'. (Note: If this folder doesn't exist, then your .cia wasn't encrypted.) Make sure not to rename anything else!!

5. Inside the romfs folder, make any edits you want to. There are other tutorials on making custom skins which you can follow.
    Tip: The skin name can be changed in the .blang files in romfs\loc\

6. Open command prompt in this folder by entering 'cmd' into the top bar of file explorer.

7. In cmd, run this command: 3dstool -cvtf romfs romfs.bin --romfs-dir romfs/ and wait for it to finish building your romfs.bin file.

8. Then run this command: 3dstool -cvtf cxi minecraft.cxi --header HeaderNCCH0.bin --exh DecryptedExHeader.bin --plain PlainRGN.bin --exefs DecryptedExeFS.bin --romfs romfs.bin and again wait until it is finished building your file.

9. And finally, run this command: makerom -f cia -o newminecraft.cia -content minecraft.cxi:0:0 -ver 9408
    (Note: 9408 is the version of the latest update, you can check your update version in FBI if you want to set it accurately.)
    You'll get a warning running this command, but it's fine because the .cia functions just as it should anyway.
If you successfully managed to paste in these commands to cmd while having the correct filenames, you should now have a newly made 'newminecraft.cia' file, which contains your custom skins.

Simply just put this onto your SD card, boot up FBI, and install your .cia file!
Whenever you need to make an edit, just update the 'romfs' folder and run the 3 cmd commands again.
when i done my own way i just replaced the steve texture, every single one so there are no normal steves left

StomperX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you PokeNev for a method that actually works as no other one was working but I edited mob textures instead of skins and they work great but has anyone got items to work as it seems they don’t for me

PokeNev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you PokeNev for a method that actually works as no other one was working but I edited mob textures instead of skins and they work great but has anyone got items to work as it seems they don’t for me
The items don’t work for me either I have no clue why, sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT