Hardware How to extract models (szs) from .bin file?

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cyan replied on a thread similar to this, but I couldn't open .bin files with SZS modifier.
Here's what I mean: The game models and files are not contained in a folder, instead, they are in a folder in a format called .bin.
If you want a file for help or proof or whatever, then just ask me (NOT SURE IT'S LEGAL THO).

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game likely lumps multiple files into a .bin file and uses pre-programmed offsets to access each part. If there is indeed an SZS file inside, you can find it using a hex editor (I recommend HxD). Search for the 4 bytes 0x59617A30, which are "Yaz0" in ASCII. This is the beginning of an SZS file. Extract a sub-section of the .bin file starting with the "Yaz0" bytes. (Don't worry about finding the end of the SZS file. The uncompressed size is the second 4-byte value, so the software will know when to stop.) In HxD, use "Select Block" to select the block in the .bin file from 0 to the offset of "Yaz0" minus 1. Delete that selection and save the resulting file with a .szs extension. Open the new file just to make sure it actually starts with "Yaz0". It probably will work in SZS Modifier. However, there are many types of SZS files. You may need to use BrawlBox or SZS Explorer if SZS Modifier doesn't work.

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The game likely lumps multiple files into a .bin file and uses pre-programmed offsets to access each part. If there is indeed an SZS file inside, you can find it using a hex editor (I recommend HxD). Search for the 4 bytes 0x59617A30, which are "Yaz0" in ASCII. This is the beginning of an SZS file. Extract a sub-section of the .bin file starting with the "Yaz0" bytes. (Don't worry about finding the end of the SZS file. The uncompressed size is the second 4-byte value, so the software will know when to stop.) In HxD, use "Select Block" to select the block in the .bin file from 0 to the offset of "Yaz0" minus 1. Delete that selection and save the resulting file with a .szs extension. Open the new file just to make sure it actually starts with "Yaz0". It probably will work in SZS Modifier. However, there are many types of SZS files. You may need to use BrawlBox or SZS Explorer if SZS Modifier doesn't work.
Thank you. Is there a video tutorial for this since it seems a little complicated?

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Is there a video tutorial for this since it seems a little complicated?
Not that I know of. What game are you extracting? I can easily make a video tutorial. (If I don't have the game, I'll make a .bin file that matches your description and use that.)

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Trackmania Wii.
That's curious. I see only two folders: "audio" and "movies" on the TrackMania disc. The only bin files I see ("sku.bin" and "vfs.bin") are way too small to hold 3D models. However, the "vfs.zip" file contains tons of models in the BRMDL format! You can open these with BrawlBox.

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's curious. I see only two folders: "audio" and "movies" on the TrackMania disc. The only bin files I see ("sku.bin" and "vfs.bin") are way too small to hold 3D models. However, the "vfs.zip" file contains tons of models in the BRMDL format! You can open these with BrawlBox.
Ah. I extracted that as a ZIP and I couldn't open it. How did you open that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also tried replacing the audio, when run on a REAL WII, load a track, and would load infinitely.

QueenZircon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. I extracted that as a ZIP and I couldn't open it. How did you open that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also tried replacing the audio, when run on a REAL WII, load a track, and would load infinitely.
I used 7-Zip to open it.

For the audio, either it doesn't like the format of your replaced files, or it has some hardcoded values that only work with the original audio. Try double-checking that your format exactly matches theirs. (Channel Count, Bitrate, Bit Depth, etc.)

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used 7-Zip to open it.

For the audio, either it doesn't like the format of your replaced files, or it has some hardcoded values that only work with the original audio. Try double-checking that your format exactly matches theirs. (Channel Count, Bitrate, Bit Depth, etc.)
Yeah, I won't get to that yet. Anyway, I found a way to open it. So, I edited a model for the TM Stadium car. Replaced the DAE in brawlbox and forced to close.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @PandaPandel, dont worry other girls enter chat relatively frequently