Emulation How to create a RamDisk to use on DSi?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could someone kindly explain me how to create a RamDisk to be used from SD-slot of a DSi, to run some old FPS ports (DSescent, DualHexen etc.)? I followed this guide but the mentioned software doesn't work on my old WindowsXP (yes, I'm an almost extinct dinosaur...🤣):
https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/creating-ram-disks
Is there an older, alternative software? Aren't there tools built into my OS that can create one? Would any of the many brainiacs (or rather geeks) here know how to give me simple and precise instructions on this matter.

Or better, could someone create an empty one for me (.img format, 12 MB ram)) where I can put necessary files and folders (assuming it's possible)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.😊

Could someone kindly explain me how to create a RamDisk to be used from SD-slot of a DSi, to run some old FPS ports (DSescent, DualHexen etc.)? I followed this guide but the mentioned software doesn't work on my old WindowsXP (yes, I'm an almost extinct dinosaur...🤣):
https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/creating-ram-disks
Is there an older, alternative software? Aren't there tools built into my OS that can create one? Would any of the many brainiacs (or rather geeks) here know how to give me simple and precise instructions on this matter.

Or better, could someone create an empty one for me (.img format, 12 MB ram)) where I can put necessary files and folders (assuming it's possible)?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: NOT for the DSi of course.😉

Maybe as Alternative - RAM Expansion Module:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_&_DSi_Browser

I got this RAM Package for a few Euros.:)

IMG_20220426_182313.jpg

It helps a lot for some Games (Pokémon for Example) and Ports.

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: Nikokaro

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ignorant of the subject, but I don't think a more modern operating system can work through Windows XP, which is little better than a Windows 95. Like putting a formula 1 driver on a tricycle...🤣
I've heard that it indeed works. Just about anything can work in VM, like if you have another PC running alongside your current one.
If the VM has hardware that can handle it, then it'll work. Even running Linux or MacOS on Windows works that way.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've heard that it indeed works. Just about anything can work in VM, like if you have another PC running alongside your current one.
If the VM has hardware that can handle it, then it'll work
But both the processor is too old and weak, the hardisk size and the ram memory are absolutely not enough: after all it's a 20 years old PC...🤣

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
could someone create an empty one for me (.img format, 12 MB ram)) where I can put necessary files and folders (assuming it's possible)?
After doing some research online, I can answer (myself 😂) this question of mine with a no. In fact this is not a common .IMG file (like those of a CD or DVD), but a special format (containing additional informations) that will be corrupted if opened with a tool intended for the former (cdmage, ImgBurn etc.); once created it cannot be edited.

Anyway, I am still fervently hoping that someone can suggest me an alternative solution to this seemingly insoluble issue. 🧐

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
  • Sad
Reactions: Alexander1970

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can create a ramdisk using linux*, but you will need to use the command line. You can (probably) use any lightweight linux distro, but I ran my test using Puppy Linux. PL requires your cpu to support pae to run, which may be slightly too new for your computer, so you may need to do a bit of searching for how to run it without using pae, or just find a different distro that doesnt require it.

Once you get linux booted (no need to install, you can use a "live cd"/run from ram) you will need to open up a terminal and do the following:
  1. In the terminal, run dd if=/dev/zero of=/destination/for/ramdisk.img bs=1024 count=12288 status=progress
    • This will create an empty 12MiB file
  2. run mkfs.fat /path/to/ramdisk.img
    • This will create a FAT filesystem on ramdisk.img
  3. run mount /path/to/ramdisk.img /mnt
    • This will mount ramdisk.img to /mnt (/mnt can be replaced with a different path)
  4. copy files to /mnt (or wherever you mounted ramdisk.img)
  5. run umount /mnt
    • this will umount the ramdisk (if you mounted your ramdisk somewhere else, replace /mnt with the path you mounted to)
  6. copy ramdisk.img to the ramdisk folder on your sd card
A potentially important thing to note: ramdisks created using this method and the windows method do not appear to be "compatible" with each other. If you create a ramdisk on windows, you cannot mount it on linux with a simple mount. Similarly, ramdisks created on linux with this method cannot be read by Dataram RAMDisk

*I was not able to do a proper test because I was unable to get the proper descent.hog and descent.pig files, but the homebrew was able to identify that these file were incorrect, which to me suggests that this will work if you have the proper files

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@spitzeqc ,
Thank you for the thorough and knowledgeable explanation. I can tell this is your field of study. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest idea how to use Linux on Windows XP; moreover, it's too complex a procedure for a klutz like me.
You could have provided me directly with a complete .img file, but I understand that you did not find the necessary Descent files. Thanks again, but I managed to find an old version 4.04 of Dataram that seems compatible with XP: tomorrow I'll try it.

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if you are describing FCSR (way for some DLDI stuff to load from an image rather than trying to read SD cards, believe it is short for flash cart Save RAM) or if that is talking about a method of getting pre DLDI homebrew to play.
If it is FCSR then there are alternative methods that might be easier.
http://www.cryptosystem.org/archives/2006/06/building-a-fat-file-image-for-nds-homebrew/
https://www.chishm.com/DLDI/dldirc.html

As far as Linux on XP... yeah don't do that. Most would download a live CD and boot that, though I guess you could install/boot the live CD on a VM ( https://www.virtualbox.org/ ) and go from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...