Tutorial  Updated

How to compile and install arm9loaderhax

This guide is probably obsolete, use this instead. Just drag your otp.bin to your browser window and it will compile it for you, I'm leaving the original guide below for those who likes to DIY.

Original post:

Hopefully this guide should silence the whiners:P

Before we begin I have to say this is my very first guide that I made from my experience and information from other Temp members, and English isn't my primary language so I might make mistakes. If you find any just tell me and I'll try my best to correct them. (The screenshot in the spoiler was taken in OS X with wineskin because I'm lazy, this guide is for Windows only)

So you just dumped your OTP and wondering how do you compile A9LH for your 3DS? Here's a guide to instruct you how to compile and install the payload on your device. This guide assumes you know the basics of 3DS homebrew and Windows command prompt,and just stay away from this if you don't - menuhax is good enough for most people IMO. (I am serious)

DISCLAIMER: Any modifications to your 3DS are done at your own risk. I am not responsible for any bricks that may occur during this process (use your common sense and read the guide carefully)

0. Requirements:
1. Preparation
  1. If you have an existing install of Python 3.x/32-bit 2.7.x, remove it first
  2. Install Python 2.7 x86-64, make sure you install "add python.exe to patch" sub feature during installation (it's not set by default)
    python_windows_installation_customize_python.jpg
  3. Install PyCrypto
  4. Install devkitPro 1.6.0, you will be be presented with tons of packages but the only ones we're interested are under devkitARM, simply uncheck everything else.
    tutorial copy.png
  5. Install Make, you should download the file with md5:8ae51379d1f3eef8360df4e674f17d6d
2. Compile A9LH
  1. Extract the A9LH source to any directory
  2. Copy your OTP.bin to the data_input folder and overwrite the one that's included with the zip file
  3. Open a CMD window (Shift+right click on the explorer window or cd into it manually)at the root directory of the source files, type "make" (without quotes) and enter.
  4. Wait for a minute or so, a data_output folder will appear and there should be no errors
  5. Copy the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file from the newly created folder to /3ds/ on your SD card (the installer is built specifically for the 3DS you dumped its OTP from, if you want to install A9LH on more than one 3DS you will to recompile the payload with their respective OTP.bin files)
3.1 Installing A9LH
  1. Ensure you have a dump of your SysNAND before you continue
  2. Enter hblauncher using an entry point of your choice
  3. Run arm9loaderhax.3dsx (see below if you're stuck on "exploiting arm9")
  4. The payload will be installed to your NAND and your 3DS will then be rebooted to black screens afterwards. Don't panic, turn off your 3DS
3.2 "exploiting arm9" workaround (required for n3DS, not sure about o3DS)
  1. Download and copy the miniPasta 3dsx to your SD card
  2. Run miniPasta, the screen will turn black for a few seconds and you will be kicked back to home menu afterwards
  3. Re-enter hblauncher and try running the A9LH installer again
4. Testing the payload + conclusion
There's a test binary (forgot who made it) that will power off your 3DS upon pressing any buttons except ZL, ZR or home. Simply copy it to the root of your SD card, wait for a couple seconds and press a button. If your 3DS powers off, then A9LH is successfully installed and woking correctly (congrats:grog:). If your 3DS powers off the moment you turn it on, check if the file is named "arm9loaderhax.bin" and placed in the root directory, if it power led stay on and won't respond to button pressed then your 3DS is probably bricked :(
If you want a cold boot (permanent) CFW (the reason to get A9LH in the first place), check out @Aurora Wright's ReiNand fork. She already documented it very well so I'm not going through it in this thread

FAQ
Q: I'm getting "python: command not found"
A: Make sure you select "add python.exe to path" during installation, alternatively you can set the PATH variable manually by entering this in cmd (Thanks @Kever)
Code:
set PATH=C:\Python27;%PATH%
Q: How to uninstall A9LH?[/SIZE][/SIZE]
A: Restore a sysNAND backup made before running arm9loaderhax.3dsx

Last edited by lefthandsword,

PixelBurst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As well as the disclaimer, you should probably put a warning that it's entirely possible to get through the compiling process and end up with a .3dsx that can brick your system.

It's cool that people are getting into doing stuff for themselves but it's still risky if you don't understand what it is you're doing.

Yup, just like I just did. Although, I was kind of aware of this to begin with, I don't think it needs to be said.

With SD Card in - light comes on then goes off, nothing happens.
Without SD card in - DS light comes on, black screen, no boot.

Edit: No, I just derped. No brick here boss.

Last edited by PixelBurst,

VaiCorinthians

Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
As well as the disclaimer, you should probably put a warning that it's entirely possible to get through the compiling process and end up with a .3dsx that can brick your system.

It's cool that people are getting into doing stuff for themselves but it's still risky if you don't understand what it is you're doing.

I made it myself, but when it done install and 3ds stay on black screen, I thought my 3ds had brick.
(later, I install AuReinand and works fine)
living and learning :ha:

PixelBurst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I made it myself, but when it done install and 3ds stay on black screen, I thought my 3ds had brick.
(later, I install AuReinand and works fine)
living and learning :ha:

Wait what, so the black screen is normal? Just install Aureinand and things will work? 0.o

OK. I get it now. I panicked for nothing. The testing arm9loaderhax.bin works, so now I can just install aureinand and everything will work.

Last edited by PixelBurst,

VaiCorinthians

Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Wait what, so the black screen is normal? Just install Aureinand and things will work? 0.o
at homebrew launcher, I stall arm9loaderhax.3dsx on sysNand.
Install done and reboot my 3ds.. and I get black screen and blue led turn off..
At time I thought my 3ds had brick :O and when turn on, the 3ds turn off again..
I remove the sd card and blue led stay turns on.

Then I remembered that I had not put AuReinand on the sd card. Just put the arm9loaderhax.bin
Then I turn on my 3ds and it boot on emuNand.

Reactions: PixelBurst

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just compiled arm9loaderhax for both of my 3ds devices but I have one question. Is the success rate of the install the same as a nand restore? Because both restoring the nand and a9lh.3dsx write to the nand.

I just want to know because I have no hardmod:(.

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you need, reinstall Reinand:

AuReinand: https://github.com/AuroraWright/AuReiNand/releases/ <<- arm9loaderhax.bin are on this zip too
Link to the required firm files http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/kEIiQl0x/file.html <<- firm to put inside Rei folder

rei-n3ds -> /sdcard/rei/
firmware.bin -> /sdcard/rei/
arm9loaderhax.bin -> /sdcard/

Still no succes :/

At time I thought my 3ds had brick :O and when turn on, the 3ds turn off again..

Then I remembered that I had not put AuReinand on the sd card. Just put the arm9loaderhax.bin

Mine doesn't turn off, so I think I have bricked haha

PixelBurst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Aha, I can't believe we both thought the same thing. AuReinand is a go, can't believe the boot time! Thanks for the guide OP!

rei-n3ds -> /sdcard/rei/
firmware.bin -> /sdcard/rei/
arm9loaderhax.bin -> /sdcard/

Still no succes :/

Mine doesn't turn off, so I think I have bricked haha

firmware90.bin > /sdcard/rei/

Mine wouldn't turn off afterwards, if I pressed the power button the light just came on for a second. I pulled the battery (N3DS) and after putting the files on the SD it works correctly.

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Aha, I can't believe we both thought the same thing. AuReinand is a go, can't believe the boot time! Thanks for the guide OP!

firmware90.bin > /sdcard/rei/

Mine wouldn't turn off afterwards, if I pressed the power button the light just came on for a second. I pulled the battery (N3DS) and after putting the files on the SD it works correctly.
Still nothing :/

Robin64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I get...

"ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application. make: *** [sector] Error 1"

So, would anyone be kind enough to compile with my otp.bin for me please? :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-