ROM Hack How possible would it be to hack Mario 64 DS?

Pedro UK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I love Mario 64 on the DS. I love the original and to have the chance to play a remixed version was a dream come true. However, the controls are a bit annoying for me. The thing that bugs me is the circle for analogue movement 'sliding' across the screen. Would it be possible to hack the ROM so that the movement circle stayed in one place like it does in Rayman DS? And, if so, how easy would it be to do it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is almost certain to be an ASM level hack, how hard it would be depends entirely on how the game was programmed (it could be something as simple as obscuring a few instructions or more complex like rewriting a massive section of touchscreen code (which is not likely to be pleasant given the early release nature of the game)).

Pedro UK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it could be anything from pretty easy to really, really hard?
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it depends on who you speak to, pretty easy like a text replacement or basic graphics hack no, pretty easy compared to adding a variable width font yeah.

ASM seems to be a funny thing, most people when they are taught it spend ages writing IO routines (which are necessary if you wish to get anywhere but no fun to deal with when you are just starting out) and are put off but the fact it is not portable to any real degree.

This is neither the time or place for this discussion though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OmDRetro @ OmDRetro: The cat grill friend is likely to be an experienced griller, but once you piss it off it might...