How many of you still have Java installed?

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much like others here I only keep it around for Minecraft and the occasional Runescape session.

So the lesson here is that Java owes a lot to Minecraft for keeping it relevant. (Runescape not so much since the client doesn't use java and they're switching to html5)

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait is it a bad thing to have java installed? Im confused.

they keep getting raped by exploits/security vulnerabilities. not a lot of people know they don't really need it and not a lot of people know to or take the time to keep it updated. even i sometimes succumb to not updating due to it needing to update 123123123442323 different times in one week.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still have Java installed for 4 reasons:

1) Stick Ranger
2) Hexditor
3) BitThief
4) Pokemon randomizers

Hexditor you say, is it really worth a look? I saw it on my list of potential hex editors to test out ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hacking-hex-editors-mid-2012-discussion.326873/ ) but the "pah Java" sentiment kicked in and I did not really look at it. Shortly after that XVI32, Hexplorer, Tiny Hexer and HxD ganged up to make something that could go toe to toe with Hex Workshop and 010 editor so I declared problem solved and carried on with life. If it is multiplatform though I might like something to suggest other than Okteta.

Bitthief. I do not torrent though I will note I mainly had java installed for the Azureus torrent client. For the 3 torrents (all actually legit things) I have done in the last 5 years I used my ancient utorrent (1.6 something) and earlier today I saw the modern one.... I might have to go looking if I do decide to get a proper client.

"[not many people] take the time to keep it updated"

If I had... for the amount of times people have asked me what it is that asks them to update, declared they had no intention of updating it or even resisted updating it for "reasons" then life would be better for all concerned. It is part of https://ninite.com/ so it is not all bad though.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hexditor you say, is it really worth a look? I saw it on my list of potential hex editors to test out ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hacking-hex-editors-mid-2012-discussion.326873/ ) but the "pah Java" sentiment kicked in and I did not really look at it. Shortly after that XVI32, Hexplorer, Tiny Hexer and HxD ganged up to make something that could go toe to toe with Hex Workshop and 010 editor so I declared problem solved and carried on with life. If it is multiplatform though I might like something to suggest other than Okteta.
It's not that it's the best offering, or even the cheapest. Usually, the only hex editing I do is opening up an ISO and changing the TitleID or something like that, so it works for my needs, even on Linux. It also doesn't need configuration files or admin rights, so that's a nice bonus for portability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work