Hacking How long did it take gamecube to get a modchip?

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, you can buy games? Good job dude!

*pats you on the back*

Back on topic:

It's strange that other systems are hacked easier than Nintendo's systems. Yes, I know they're more popular, but Microsoft and Sony stand to lose money on each console sold, and Nintendo makes money. It would make more sense if Nintendo's copy protection were a little more lenient - but 4 years for a good modchip, that's insane.

Gamecube probably has the best track record for anti-piracy in console history. Do you think Wii will end up the same?

Which modchip comes first, Wii or PS3?

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the main reason why gamecube took ages to crack and make backups was purely because of the disc's themselves. The amount of efffort it took to find the right mini discs to burn and problems probably turn people away from cracking their console.
PLus the console was very unpopular.

I rekon the wii will be very versitile soon. Just look at all the wiimote-pc functions already. Maybe we will even seen wii emulation soon...MAYBE

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really doubt the hackers were slowed down that much by the disc size. Given I ran my gc for a month or so without the case until my modded case arrived to support the larger discs, this would have been a non-issue to those designing the chips.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
seja_8, please don't shit up my thread. If you want to discuss how awesome it is to BUY games, or how horrible it is to STEAL games, take it here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=40523

Back on topic,

QUOTE said:
The amount of effort it took to find the right mini discs to burn and problems probably turn people away from cracking their console.
PLus the console was very unpopular.

Lukeage already said why the disc wasn't a problem. As for the gamecube being unpopular, it wasn't that far behind Xbox. Xbox had 24 million, gamecube had 21 million, yet the xbox still had modchips long before the gamecube.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still very confident that the Wii will be modded in the next 6 months. It is a system that is similar to GameCube as far as architecture from what I've been hearing. Any system similar in architecture potentially uses similar calls for disc authentication. The biggest problem with GameCube was getting past the disc authentication with the GameCube BIOS, so a custom one ended up being used instead like Cobra, Qoob BIOS, or GCOS. You will probably see a similar idea used for the Wii itself. Other than that, the fact that it reads GameCube games could be a huge advantage. Kinda like how Slot-2 flash carts for the Nintendo DS allow for running NDS code even though they themselves are GBA carts. Anyway, don't get too down yet, just wait and see.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ignored the gamecube until the modchip was out.

The qoob and xenogc chip work perfect and the discs play the same as an original game.
I hope the internals of the wii are much like the gamecube so it can be hacked soon.

does xenogc play backup games perfectly?

i didnt know that

I thought not quite. I thought that some two disc games work in a way that they can't be played on the XenoGC, although maybe I'm wrong.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say 6 Months for a modchip, but i would be expecting another... "solution" to be anounced by the end of the year
wink.gif

I expect we will all be playing our imports/"backups" by the end of January.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
More than anything I can't wait for imports to be playable. Australian prices are ridiculous and I know there are sellers here just waiting to knock $20 off the price.

I remember reading an interview with Nintendo's UK product manager Rob Lowe, stating that the regioning has to do with piracy.

Hey Rob, I'll give you a little hint, once games can be pirated, regions don't matter anymore. It's your artificial market bullshit that pisses us consumers off. Not everyone who can read Japanese lives inside Japan, and not every single European person needs 100 different languages if English is available (oh, and as an Australian this really pisses me off, waiting for all these different languages just because we use the PAL standard, we only have one official language here, ENGLISH, just give us our damn games). If we want to get out imports, let us have them. If not, get the games out in a reasonable timeframe and make them SIMILARLY priced between regions.

[/rant]

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
More than anything I can't wait for imports to be playable. Australian prices are ridiculous and I know there are sellers here just waiting to knock $20 off the price.

I remember reading an interview with Nintendo's UK product manager Rob Lowe, stating that the regioning has to do with piracy.

Hey Rob, I'll give you a little hint, once games can be pirated, regions don't matter anymore. It's your artificial market bullshit that pisses us consumers off. Not everyone who can read Japanese lives inside Japan, and not every single European person needs 100 different languages if English is available (oh, and as an Australian this really pisses me off, waiting for all these different languages just because we use the PAL standard, we only have one official language here, ENGLISH, just give us our damn games). If we want to get out imports, let us have them. If not, get the games out in a reasonable timeframe and make them SIMILARLY priced between regions.

[/rant]
Agree 110%

I got my cube chipped as soon as people in Aus were doing it primarily for imports. The only 2 'backups' i played was the RE4 debug and the killer7 iso that showed up online a month before release.

FFVII-2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the Wii is far more popular then the Gamecube. which means more owners, which means more hackers.

atleast thats my theory on how Wii homebrew will come out sooner then it did the GC...

and the fact that GC homebrew already works on the Wii (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Homebrew) looks like its taking a similar road of the DS...GBA flash carts worked out off the bat with GBA only and they were tweaked into workable with DS roms/homebrew and now look where we are with these Slot 1 loaders...

NMorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii is protected the same exact way as GC, and GC has already been hacked. Its only a matter of time before some group cashes in on selling the first Wii modchip. I wouldn't be surprised if the first mod chip is in the middle of a production run as I type this. Its only a short matter of time..........

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...