Gaming How long before the [New Switch+] model?

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
In more than two and half years (just under 3 years) is my guess, expect a New Switch with a custom Pascal chip, 4K and a better battery by end on 2019.

For now I'm just excited for upcoming games announcements, E3 2017, new system updates (more OS features) and software/apps (web browser, YouTube, etc...).
They can't change the CPU/GPU architecture without breaking compatibility with existing games, we'll probably see a mid-cycle refresh with higher clock speeds and/or more CUDA cores down the line.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't change the CPU/GPU architecture without breaking compatibility with existing games, we'll probably see a mid-cycle refresh with higher clock speeds and/or more CUDA cores down the line.
Actually, since Nintendo is using an actual OS now (FreeBSD kernel), they *can* change the CPU/GPU architecture, as long as it's backwards-compatible with the current one. Pascal IIRC is simply a die shrink of Maxwell, possibly with some extra functionality, so it should "just work" with existing games. (It might need some OS changes, though.)

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Actually, since Nintendo is using an actual OS now (FreeBSD kernel), they *can* change the CPU/GPU architecture, as long as it's backwards-compatible with the current one. Pascal IIRC is simply a die shrink of Maxwell, possibly with some extra functionality, so it should "just work" with existing games. (It might need some OS changes, though.)
They reused 3DS' kernel according to plutoo. Now it makes sense why Nintendo launched their bug bounty program so late into 3DS' life cycle.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They reused 3DS' kernel according to plutoo. Now it makes sense why Nintendo launched their bug bounty program so late into 3DS' life cycle.
Yeah, this was mentioned in another thread. I guess they're just using FreeBSD for the network stack then.

If games access the GPU directly like with 3DS, then backwards compatibility would be harder, since any changes to the GPU register layout would break compatibility.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yeah, this was mentioned in another thread. I guess they're just using FreeBSD for the network stack then.

If games access the GPU directly like with 3DS, then backwards compatibility would be harder, since any changes to the GPU register layout would break compatibility.
BC on Wii U wasn't an easy task to pull off neither. The MCM actually contains the entire Hollywood GPU along with some clever changes in IOS to hide the hardware differences so that games run the same way as they do on an original Wii.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I think since the Switch has a ton of problems:
* Joycons which lose connection
* Scratching surfaces when pulling in and out Switch console
* No audio when going to hdtv-mode
* Blurry and bad video signal when going to hdtv-mode
* Possibility to put joycon wrist bands on wrong way
* no gorilla glass on the surface
* way too small internal storage (yes I know it's solved with SD-card, but still!)
* short battery life

So it's definitely going to have some kind of hardware revision sooner than later.

Please see ipad.

+ Gorilla glass + worldclass battery life +internal flash storage = £500.

Your other complaints are very sensible ones but the above three are really just limitations due to its price point. in 2-3 years battery life will probably have moved on a little and storage should continue to drop which will make them a little more feasible.

Honestly a revision of the console will probably come simply because a revision usually means it being cheaper to manufacture and an opportunity for a huge sales boost.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What i'm most wondering is, will the price drop like the 3ds
since when i bought my 3ds at 250 euro, 2 week after it was 150 euro so maybe the switch will also drop and that's a reason for me to wait

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What i'm most wondering is, will the price drop like the 3ds
since when i bought my 3ds at 250 euro, 2 week after it was 150 euro so maybe the switch will also drop and that's a reason for me to wait
No, it won't have an immediate price drop like that, MSRP is much closer to the actual manufacturing price of this. 3DS was 240p. Switch is 720p/1080p. Unless sales are going terribly, expect the first price drop for the holidays. Might be temporary or permanent.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, it won't have an immediate price drop like that, MSRP is much closer to the actual manufacturing price of this. 3DS was 240p. Switch is 720p/1080p. Unless sales are going terribly, expect the first price drop for the holidays. Might be temporary or permanent.
Yeah but anyway i have to wait 2 month before i can buy it so maybe it will drop ^^

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The first revision will probably be out by the end of next year. Other than that, no one really knows. It's all just guesses.

I definitely think they need a new model sooner rather than later though because the Switch has some serious design flaws as-is.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um

This. Having a complete OS only helps abstract the hardware if the application itself is abstracted, and games are optimized to make the most of the hardware they are coded for. That's why Microsoft Office doesn't give a shit what your system is while the latest Windows games will crash and refuse to run after you plugged in a brand new GPU that launched only a week ago, even if that shiny new GPU is 10x as powerful as your old one.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um

This. Having a complete OS only helps abstract the hardware if the application itself is abstracted, and games are optimized to make the most of the hardware they are coded for. That's why Microsoft Office doesn't give a shit what your system is while the latest Windows games will crash and refuse to run after you plugged in a brand new GPU that launched only a week ago.
Not exactly. Games can't access the hardware directly on PC operating systems; they go through an API, e.g. Direct3D. The reason why that happens is because of terrible drivers and poorly-coded games. Every time a graphics card manufacturer releases a driver update that "adds support" for Game X, it really means they added a terrible workaround and/or hack to either get it working or improve performance. If the drivers implemented the APIs correctly and the games used them correctly (regardless of whether it's Direct3D or OpenGL or Vulkan), this wouldn't be a recurring issue.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: foob

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They definitely won't unless the Switch has a major defect which it doesn't. There's no point in releasing the Switch if they're going to release a better version in a year. If that were they case then they would release the better version instead of the Switch.
Wait 3 or 4 years and there might be a better version but I'm doubtful, Nintendo has never released a better version of a home console before (which is what Nintendo considers the Switch to be), they've only release better versions of portable consoles.
(Nes mini and Wii mini do not count as the Wii mini was a downgrade and the Nes mini only has a select few games compared to the large library of the real Nes so that's kind of like a downgrade as well).

WRONG! There was a nes 2, top loading, redesigned rounded controller pad, and I don't believe it suffered from the flashing screen issues. Back when I sold mine on ebay, they were going for a nice premium price, more than I paid.

And guys guys guys! Consider this, the switch is modular. The main unit is just a screen. They can release new version of joycons, that will just snap in place. They could put the unfortunate decsion of the power cord on the bottom, on the top, merely by software flipping the screen 180 degrees and designing new joycons that would to the eye look the same, but are actually reversed (basically the left one now goes on the right, right one now goes on the left with a different plastic casing).

Last edited by Gadd,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
WRONG! There was a nes 2, top loading, redesigned rounded controller pad, and I don't believe it suffered from the flashing screen issues. Back when I sold mine on ebay, they were going for a nice premium price, more than I paid.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the top loader.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NES 2 was essentially the same hardware as the original NES but with a standard edge connector for the cartridge (instead of the ZIF connector used on the original NES) and no lockout chip.

Both of these can be accomplished with a few modifications on an original NES.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Considering Nintendo has removed the Dock Station from their website, it shouldn't be too long before there's a new Dock Station (at the very least) and current owners hopefully can get that replaced too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some...