How important is it for a console to be "Hackable"

When considering a new console purchase, how important is the ability to play homebrew / backups?

• Essential! I won't buy a console unless it can boot homebrew / backups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Important. I consider it a very desireable aspect.

• Somewhat Important. If it can be hacked, I'll consider hacking it, but it's not a big deal if it is

• Not at all important. I don't mod my consoles.

• Total voters

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i like my consoles to be hackable... but it's not a huge decision maker for me. i still have an unmodded 360 cuz i love live
smile.gif
... course lately my new dreamcast has kept me busy busy

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I use pirated games as a demo. First of all it's hard to find demos of NDS games unless you have Nintendo outlet nearby, other game demos (on PC or consoles) are inferior to the actual game which may mislead to judging the game not worth buying.

There are so many DS games I bought, and I don't feel guilty for playing DS games on R4 because there are like 550 games that don't deserve to be purchased. (taking out all the duplicates) The ones that desserve the credit, I buy them. I even found Pokemon D/P was not up to my expectations, GBA ones would get better reviews from me.

Haven't found any decent game to buy for PC for a long time (Last thing was Titan Quest) So don't bother.

Next gen consoles offer online demo download, as I said they're to some extent inferior to the actual game. I could rent the game and try it out if I don't have modded console.

And TheStump's idea is great, except that it feels strange to send them money and say "Your game is great, accept this" But I'm willing to do that if I can track down devs paypal account.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like TheStumps donation idea too. I own a few pirated 360 games and while I wouldn't go out and pay £40 for the retail version I would definitely consider donating £5-£10 to the devs. I'm sure there are a lot of modders who would agree with me too.

Out of curiosity, exactly how much does a developer receive on every game purchased?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Out of curiosity, exactly how much does a developer receive on every game purchased?

I believe they get paid their basic salary, and incentives come when the units sold is over certain number. I believe the programmers working for big sized game companies (say, MS games, EA, and so many more) must have some sort of bottom line, so programmers are not discouraged to try out new things.

Well, retailers eat a bit, game company eats a bit, production cost and shipping or whatever, if what's left is distributed among all project members, not much per person I guess.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I believe they get paid their basic salary, and incentives come when the units sold is over certain number. I believe the programmers working for big sized game companies (say, MS games, EA, and so many more) must have some sort of bottom line, so programmers are not discouraged to try out new things.

Well, retailers eat a bit, game company eats a bit, production cost and shipping or whatever, if what's left is distributed among all project members, not much per person I guess.

Sorry, when I said developer I meant the actual development studio (eg. reflections, bizarre creations, bungie etc). What sort of percentage would they be looking at for every game sold?

I'm just wondering if Bizarre Creations would make more money if I bought PGR4 retail or if I downloaded it and gave them a £5 donation
biggrin.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thebigboss14 said:
Well the only one I know has not been fully unhackable is the PSP but I still don't know why.
uh the psp can easily be hacked...

u must be thinking of the ps3?

o and personally, i don't care for console's to be hackable or not. the only one i play is xbox and that's purely for the multiplayer experience. all the other single player games u can get for it, i pirate with my pc.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
its not that big of a deal tho

the wii is great being hacked and that matters because all nintendo systems are the best
all tho ps3 is a great and powerful system and the games are werth buying but it would be great to run backups on that and homebrew

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it's easy to hack then I'll do it. I don't like being restricted when it comes to consoles, I do like my homebrew.
smile.gif

Probably why I prefer pc gaming overall with mods and such.

Highseraphime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think since the PSP is hackable there is no handheld that can match it, unless your ds has a very good flash cart.
but some consoles have fail safes and guards, we know how xbox responds to hacking , here comes the BANHAMMER, and ive already seen warnings on my wii about "tampering" with the console.

how about saying that its important to have your psp hacked if you have one, but if you have another console "Eh, fohget-a-bout it"

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been spoiled by pirating.

If I own it, it must be hackable.

BUT THIS DARN'D PS3.
CURSE YOU, YOU BLACK BEAUTY.

I've been eyeing Battlefeild Bad Company.
It's like, 18 bucks on Amazon. I enjoyed the demo!

But yeah there's linux and whatnot for the ps3.
But that's useless. I have my computer hooked up to my TV. And a joypad.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
essential imo. its whats keeping me from buying a ps3. i know its bad but i'm not exactly prepared to fork out 80-120 for new games.

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Essential for me too. I only buy consoles that are hackable.
Games and Software just cost too much where I live.Eg:Spider Man 3(PS3 USED-Bad Condition):150$
wacko.gif

What's the use of buying a gaming console if you cant play games on it???
I know I could buy games online but since I don't have a credit card,I would have to rely on my father for the card.And he says I play too much games already.(IMO playing games for 1.5-3 hours isnt that long).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Mr.Mysterio said:
Essential for me too. I only buy consoles that are hackable.
Games and Software just cost too much where I live.Eg:Spider Man 3(PS3 brand new):150$
wacko.gif

What's the use of buying a gaming console if you cant play games on it???
I know I could buy games online but since I don't have a credit card,I would have to rely on my father for the card.And he says I play too much games already.(IMO playing games for 1.5-3 hours isnt that long).

150$? Well, living in Qatar has a price ofcourse
tongue.gif

But that is seriously way too much, suits you right to pirate
ph34r.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D