How important is it for a console to be "Hackable"

When considering a new console purchase, how important is the ability to play homebrew / backups?

• Essential! I won't buy a console unless it can boot homebrew / backups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Important. I consider it a very desireable aspect.

• Somewhat Important. If it can be hacked, I'll consider hacking it, but it's not a big deal if it is

• Not at all important. I don't mod my consoles.

• Total voters

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This question really stems from the current console war where XBOX360 and Wii can be modded whereas the PS3 cannot(though don't limit your response to just this situation; consider any current or future console or handheld).

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
Considering how much time I spend playing games now, If I were to keep playing for as long as I'm now, I'd require a moddable console.
It has become a major factor in my next gen purchases (so far I'm waiting for a fully compatible, multi-region Wii chip, and I'm a little confused about the 360. Dunno if it's fully hackable now or if it will be with future firmwares... Anyone care to shed some light my way?
biggrin.gif
)

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering how much time I spend playing games now, If I were to keep playing for as long as I'm now, I'd require a moddable console.
It has become a major factor in my next gen purchases (so far I'm waiting for a fully compatible, multi-region Wii chip, and I'm a little confused about the 360. Dunno if it's fully hackable now or if it will be with future firmwares... Anyone care to shed some light my way?
biggrin.gif
)
As far as I know, it has been hacked, but you need to have a certain type of dvd drive. You can either use a chip (hard mod) or a firmware replacement (soft mod). However, I'm not buying an XBOX 360 until they change their manufacturing process so the failure rate is somethine MUCH more acceptable!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
pretty much essential for me.

not just for backup purposes, homebrew can be a wonderful thing.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PS3 doesn't have whole lot of titles atm. Buying all of them won't hurt as much as buying all NDS games (That's what.. About 600 games excluding localized duplications?)
If PS3 can't be modded by Spring 08, it would be a problem. (Besides, unless you can afford PS3 AND bluray writer, you'll need to buy a bigger HDD to run images directly from HDD. There are videos around for PS3 ISO loader, but I haven't seen it float around, neither PS3 isos so I guess they're either fake or not released.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the biggest cheapass on the planet, and in this day and age, I wanna squeeze out the most I can when I put my money down for a mean-machine. As far as feeling any type of guilt... fuck it, I'd feel guilty if I threw away my hard earned cash for something I KNEW I could get for free (not to mention the feeling of stupidity and lack of common sense). I only buy consoles that are cracked.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC has the best graphics, and it's easier to get "free" games. Nothing can do what an Xbox can for the price (and even without the price)

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would rather have a modded Xbox than a PS3.

I will get modded 360 and PS3, just to play PS3 exclusives and play multi platform on modded 360

The problem with a PS3 is that even when it is cracked (I say when and not if because we all know how smart hackers are!) BD-R media is VERY expensive. We're talking about CAD$15 a disc! I would hate to have a disc-write error with that kind of cost! Not to mention that if PS3 developpers decide to use all that extra space instead of compressing / conserving, it's going to be hell to download and store those files!

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jul 9 2007, 08:27 PM)]I'm the biggest cheapass on the planet, and in this day and age, I wanna squeeze out the most I can when I put my money down for a mean-machine. As far as feeling any type of guilt... fuck it, I'd feel guilty if I threw away my hard earned cash for something I KNEW I could get for free (not to mention the feeling of stupidity and lack of common sense). I only buy consoles that are cracked.

You'd feel stupid and lacking common sense for putting your hard earned cash toward someone else's hard work? I wish I could share that same sentiment. How is it in crazy land?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with a PS3 is that even when it is cracked (I say when and not if because we all know how smart hackers are!) BD-R media is VERY expensive. We're talking about CAD$15 a disc! I would hate to have a disc-write error with that kind of cost! Not to mention that if PS3 developpers decide to use all that extra space instead of compressing / conserving, it's going to be hell to download and store those files!

Yes I'm aware of that. As I mentioned in my second previous post, it's more likely that the ISO can be loaded directly from HDD (Since it's replacable at will, buying 2 of 250GB and 1 of 160GB SATA2 HDD -2.5" laptop HDDs- should serve better than bluray writer. Price of those 3 HDDs with 660GB total and bluray writer is about the same ~US$500) It could be a hassle to replace HDDs so often, but it's cost efficient (you can install it on your laptop for an upgrade or easily sell to laptop owners)

And one more thing, I searched for BD writers and only thing I find is 2X write speed on both BD-R and BD-RE.
That is 9MB/s and 45 minutes per 25GB (A full disk) That so blows man.... either HDD ISO or BD backup, it sure is time and money consuming to run a hacked PS3. If you bust 2 BDs while writing, you're even with buying legit (But to mention you still have $500 bluray writer price to make up, you're not even until you burn 10 BDs without fail.).

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Jul 9 2007, 08:27 PM]I'm the biggest cheapass on the planet, and in this day and age, I wanna squeeze out the most I can when I put my money down for a mean-machine. As far as feeling any type of guilt... fuck it, I'd feel guilty if I threw away my hard earned cash for something I KNEW I could get for free (not to mention the feeling of stupidity and lack of common sense). I only buy consoles that are cracked.

You'd feel stupid and lacking common sense for putting your hard earned cash toward someone else's hard work? I wish I could share that same sentiment. How is it in crazy land?
Whoa, I never said I wasn't putting any hard earned cash toward someone's else's hard work...

I give a generous portion to the producing company & developers of the actual console (for which without, pirated shit would be useless) and I also give money to developers of the devices and chips that allow the console to be hacked, not to mention the retailers of these devices and chips who receive a small profit for carrying those products. I'm pretty sure they all work hard too.

In the end, it comes down to your morals. I guess I grew up in Crazy Land, so my morals are a little different then everyone else's on this site (have you checked what site you're on, by the way?).

In these cases, I don't think with my head, I think with my wallet.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jul 9 2007, 09:43 PM)]
QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Jul 9 2007, 08:27 PM]I'm the biggest cheapass on the planet, and in this day and age, I wanna squeeze out the most I can when I put my money down for a mean-machine. As far as feeling any type of guilt... fuck it, I'd feel guilty if I threw away my hard earned cash for something I KNEW I could get for free (not to mention the feeling of stupidity and lack of common sense). I only buy consoles that are cracked.

Whoa, I never said I wasn't putting any hard earned cash toward someone's else's hard work...

I give a generous portion to the producing company & developers of the actual console (for which without, pirated shit would be useless) and I also give money to developers of the devices and chips that allow the console to be hacked, not to mention the retailers of these devices and chips who receive a small profit for carrying those products. I'm pretty sure they all work hard too.

In the end, it comes down to your morals. I guess I grew up in Crazy Land, so my morals are a little different then everyone else's on this site (have you checked what site you're on, by the way?).

In these cases, I don't think with my head, I think with my wallet.

I think you know what I'm talking about. I was referring to game developers. Yes, I have checked what site I'm on, and I also know that not everyone on here pirates everything. I use this site to read about new games coming out and to try them before I buy. I won't pretend to be the golden child that pays for everything, but I do support the developers as often as I can.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would rather give money directly to the dev's of the games.

Look at what steam is doing. Why do you think its cheaper to buy game online rather than store bought. I'd rather my money going to dev's then say, E.B games.

Let look at it this way, more and more people are downloading games from the net, because its more accessible (and free).
Then lets say alot of people still feel 'guilty' about this pirating, well why dont you, instead of buying from EB, pirate the game and send some money directly to the devs.

This (i hope), will be the revolution of games. Just look at what Microsoft, Nintendo and Playstation are all doing...DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT.

the benefits of this method of purchasing games are much great for the consumer and the dev's.
we have;
-no region issues
-cheaper games
-hopefully (considering what we are used to paying for games) dev's get more money
-easier access.

Well i personally dont feel that 'guilty'. Sure some days you feel like games deserve your money, but if we bought every crap (no pointing and fingers) game released from say, ubisoft or EA, this hope of getting more downloadable content much like pirating would take lot longer.
I'm not saying this 'dream' justifies' stealing games, but it sure as hell makes me feel less 'guilty'.

on an end note, look at what Mac has done with the ipod.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would rather give money directly to the dev's of the games.

Look at what steam is doing. Why do you think its cheaper to buy game online rather than store bought. I'd rather my money going to dev's then say, E.B games.

Let look at it this way, more and more people are downloading games from the net, because its more accessible (and free).
Then lets say alot of people still feel 'guilty' about this pirating, well why dont you, instead of buying from EB, pirate the game and send some money directly to the devs.

This (i hope), will be the revolution of games. Just look at what Microsoft, Nintendo and Playstation are all doing...DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT.

the benefits of this method of purchasing games are much great for the consumer and the dev's.
we have;
-no region issues
-cheaper games
-hopefully (considering what we are used to paying for games) dev's get more money
-easier access.

Well i personally dont feel that 'guilty'. Sure some days you feel like games deserve your money, but if we bought every crap (no pointing and fingers) game released from say, ubisoft or EA, this hope of getting more downloadable content much like pirating would take lot longer.
I'm not saying this 'dream' justifies' stealing games, but it sure as hell makes me feel less 'guilty'.

on an end note, look at what Mac has done with the ipod.

Good post, I agree with everything said here, though I have to ask. Do you REALLY think that if we were able to buy direct from the developers that we would all of a sudden stop downloading freely? I doubt it. People always use that to say that if they could give money right to the creators they would, but I'm not sure I buy it for the most part.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good post, I agree with everything said here, though I have to ask. Do you REALLY think that if we were able to buy direct from the developers that we would all of a sudden stop downloading freely? I doubt it. People always use that to say that if they could give money right to the creators they would, but I'm not sure I buy it for the most part.

It's sure as hell is a good start. Well lets looks at it this way, people fund torrent sites with paypal money.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with a PS3 is that even when it is cracked (I say when and not if because we all know how smart hackers are!) BD-R media is VERY expensive.  We're talking about CAD$15 a disc!  I would hate to have a disc-write error with that kind of cost!  Not to mention that if PS3 developpers decide to use all that extra space instead of compressing / conserving, it's going to be hell to download and store those files!

Yes I'm aware of that. As I mentioned in my second previous post, it's more likely that the ISO can be loaded directly from HDD (Since it's replacable at will, buying 2 of 250GB and 1 of 160GB SATA2 HDD -2.5" laptop HDDs- should serve better than bluray writer. Price of those 3 HDDs with 660GB total and bluray writer is about the same ~US$500) It could be a hassle to replace HDDs so often, but it's cost efficient (you can install it on your laptop for an upgrade or easily sell to laptop owners)

And one more thing, I searched for BD writers and only thing I find is 2X write speed on both BD-R and BD-RE.
That is 9MB/s and 45 minutes per 25GB (A full disk) That so blows man.... either HDD ISO or BD backup, it sure is time and money consuming to run a hacked PS3. If you bust 2 BDs while writing, you're even with buying legit (But to mention you still have $500 bluray writer price to make up, you're not even until you burn 10 BDs without fail.).

I'm not so sure that buying more and more HD is the cheapest way to go, but the HDD loading does sound like a good idea. Perhaps there will be a way to split games onto multiple DVDs (or Dual-layer DVDs) and then load them onto the HDD when you want to play them. That way you could keep your most used games on your large HDD and then swap out the ones you don't play that often. If the loading process only took about 5 minutes, it would be a good trade-off, I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you wanna commit suicide just drink prime