Hardware How hard would it be to remove the sleep light?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
This is literally #FirstWorldProblems

Just patch the code of the system module responsible for handling the LEDs. Zero physical modifications needed.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's been a while but I actually tried using a marker and figured I should post the photo here while I still have it.

As you can tell from the photo the marker does not block the light at all. It only dims it somewhat. This is despite the fact that I took apart the GBC and thoroughly painted over the LED bulb using the marker before putting it all back together.

Though, in the end, this was a good thing because if the LED was completely blocked then you wouldn't know when you were running low on battery. (since Game Boy Color doesn't have separate LED for low battery nor does it change color.. it's just a single red light that gradually grows dimmer)

p.s. In other news I blocked the LED on a DS Lite by using black electrical tape applied directly to the motherboard. Thankfully blocked the light completely. (It's a shame the DS Lite has no games whatsoever, so it ends up being kind of pointless. But at least now I know that the LED-blocking idea was possible and that it can be done without damaging or cutting anything.) I am considering uploading a video demonstrating it, if I'm not feeling too lazy.

Fun fact: The LED on the DS Lite is extremely small, almost microscopic. It was hard to figure out where it even was. Whereas on the Game Boy Color it's this massive bulb, like something out of the 1920s.

Attachments

• m44855070587_3.jpg
    m44855070587_3.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by zeello,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's been a while but I actually tried using a marker and figured I should post the photo here while I still have it.

As you can tell from the photo the marker does not block the light at all. It only dims it somewhat. This is despite the fact that I took apart the GBC and thoroughly painted over the LED bulb using the marker before putting it all back together.

Though, in the end, this was a good thing because if the LED was completely blocked then you wouldn't know when you were running low on battery. (since Game Boy Color doesn't have separate LED for low battery nor does it change color.. it's just a single red light that gradually grows dimmer)

p.s. In other news I blocked the LED on a DS Lite by using black electrical tape applied directly to the motherboard. Thankfully blocked the light completely. (It's a shame the DS Lite has no games whatsoever, so it ends up being kind of pointless. But at least now I know that the LED-blocking idea was possible and that it can be done without damaging or cutting anything.) I am considering uploading a video demonstrating it, if I'm not feeling too lazy.
Not sure what sort of markers you are using. I have had "is someone pointing a laser at me", this in full daylight, ones taken out by marker.

As for DS having no games... I hope you never have to suffer a 3ds.

Fun fact: The LED on the DS Lite is extremely small, almost microscopic. It was hard to figure out where it even was. Whereas on the Game Boy Color it's this massive bulb, like something out of the 1920s.
What a difference a few decades makes.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

fun fact, luma lets you turn off the LEDS now.
For real dude, you're making a giant deal out of something that can be solved by something as simple as aiming the LEDs at the wall.
There's no need to sperg out and create some overengineered solution that's more likely to cause permanent damage than to make you any happier.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fun fact, luma lets you turn off the LEDS now.
For real dude, you're making a giant deal out of something that can be solved by something as simple as aiming the LEDs at the wall.
Old thread, but I think what was bothering me was that the LED is there while I'm using the DS, not while it's charging. Pointing it at the wall was not an option. In any case, I already covered the LED with black tape so..

Funny coincidence this thread was necro'd. I still have the DS Lite somewhere and I've been meaning to start using it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    mthrnite @ mthrnite: and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant