Hardware How hard is it to replace the UMD reader in a psp 2000?

epistaxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a used psp off ebay a few years ago that had a burnt out UMD drive (obviously I had no intention of using UMDs). I'm now trying to sell it again and found a working UMD psp-2000 sensor kit for like $10 that I would like to swap into my psp 2000. Is this super difficult? Am I going to have to remove the entire motherboard to get back there? I think I can do this (I've modded a lot of stuff) but I don't know if it is going to be worth the hassle.

epistaxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Yeah I think it should be worth it. Ebay makes it very difficult selling a psp with CFW on there now so I'm pretty much forced to downgrade to 3.71 OFW and get this UMD drive fixed.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
3.71 seems a very strange FW to go to. Why not go to 6.60? Perfectly hackable. If it's a hackable mobo, it can be done permanently at 6.60. If not, go to 6.20 and you can use PermaPatch.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If he's downgrading to 3.71 it's most definitely capable of a custom IPL

epistaxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I would take it as low as it can go and let the buyer go where he wants to go with it (be it 5.00 m33 or whatever).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Chances are that 6.20 would be a better choice. Anyone who was new to the scene would be looking for that firmware, and anyone who actually wanted another firmware would ask you. If you're listing it on ebay you can always include the info from PSPIdent in the auction details.

Reactions: 1 person

epistaxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got around to doing it. The hardest part was finding a screwdriver that could take out those damn tiny screws pretty much. Unfortunately for me, after I got the replacement UMD drive in there I somehow messed up the data cable ribbon connector for the LCD and now it won't stay put. It was a nice learning experience I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.