DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well basically what the title says, I'm mostly aiming for responses from people in England because I don't know (and doubt) that it's the same in every country.

I recently got a letter from my student loans company stating that repayment was supposed to start in April 2010 (
blink.gif
) but they received information from HMRC that I was unemployed no w they are asking me to prove I'm unemployed......
unsure.gif

Basically how the hell do you prove your unemployed?
I don't claim any benefits, I have next to no money and I live with my parents (oh god I hat emy life right now)

Any help, would be greatly appreciated tempers

thank you in advance if anyone can help me et out of this situation!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's your only option, apart from becoming a rent boy. Make an appointment for an interview, and tell them about your student loans situation. They should sort it out.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
It's your only option, apart from becoming a rent boy. Make an appointment for an interview, and tell them about your student loans situation. They should sort it out.

Well thanks for the advice, signing on is something I thought I'd never have to do (claiming beneifts just makes me feel...yuck).
I guess I'm in an sort of impossible situation, nobody has ever explained any of this to me before.
I guess I'll go to the Job Center on Monday and make an appointment
mellow.gif
hopefully they can see me straight away but yeah.

QUOTE(Depravo @ Jul 10 2010, 05:21 PM) You can probably use you NI number to prove you're not making any tax contributions and therefore not earning money.
They could check that for themselves, they already have my NI number.

thanks for the advice guys.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DarkWay said:
how long does it take to sign on?
and is it the best option (if there are any other?)

it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for them to process your application when you get your 1st payment you will be backdated, showing them that you sign on will show them you are currently unemployed also your national insurance number will prove that also.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
being unemployed sounds like hard work >:

Believe me the amount of forms I've filled out (job applications) being unemployed is the hardest work anyone could not be in >.>
Throught the year I've been offered 2 jobs, but not jobs I'd applied for and I've had to turn them down because they are just too far away from home for me to get there on time every day.

I've honestly only ever had 1 job before now and I got sacked from it for having food poisoning, which ironically came from there.

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are not claiming Job Seekers Allowance then you are assumed to be working. If you are not claiming any benefits and are not working then you won't be paying your National Insurance contributions so expect a letter from the Inland Revenue at some point saying you owe so much and asking what you were doing since you were last employed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First things first the SLC (student loans company- the national brand that the vast majority of people use, if you went with a bank or something then chances are it is a proper loan) are, contrary to the image they try to put out with the we are not an ordinary loan stuff, much like any other debt/insurance/finance/legal type and as such they will try every trick in the book to try and make you admit things or lead you down the path most beneficial for them. Always be on guard when dealing with them and read the smallprint.

Anyhow they did the same for me when I was not claiming benefits (I later did when it seemed that their money would pay for an OU course and parted when I had enough of them being absolutely useless and actually doing more to harm my chances of getting somewhere than helping- a rant for a different day though).
At the time I merely wrote a letter myself and had the people I was staying with (in this case your parents) write a letter to them (they should have am address)- if you were lying such a letter would seriously help them in court so it is good enough for proof in many cases.

You should just be able to point to your national insurance "statement"/contributions.

If you do want to sign on there is a phone number that is probably easier than finding yourself at one of their shops in a town somewhere- most of it is name, DOB, when you last worked and address as well as NI number). If nothing else when you leave them they will afford you a nice P45 which helps a bit during interviews- the amount of paperwork to transfer someone is easy enough and reasonably common but a new employee is less fun.

The easier way if it can so be called and if they will not accept other proof (the most likely will) is to call yourself self employed (you will* need to register a company, ultimately file tax returns/keep books and you will probably want to file for a "certificate of small earnings exception" for National insurance too which is form CF10- http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/fagcf10.shtml )- there are payment thresholds below which you can carry on as you are doing (not to mention have proof you are below payment threshold for the SLC) and in doing so it does help if you want to pick up extra jobs here and there (contractor/freelance style- much to my dismay we are witnessing the slow death of cash in hand jobs meaning having a legit option is good) or indeed make your own work not to mention far better CV padding than what you have now.
I would advise that if you are not so familiar with these sorts of things and do not fancy reading up (or indeed want to take it seriously and get some of the breaks/benefits/grants) then have a chat with an accountant (you are a prospective client and they are trying to sell themselves so charging you will probably not happen).

*all of this can be done over a phone/internet or with free software. On the maybe side of things a business bank account might help things if you use your present account for non business things.

Also +1 to Da Mafia, the inland revenue have been known to sting people for such things.

grubbymitts

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SIMPLE, EASY WAY:

You get your parents to write you a letter saying that you have no money and you are dependant on them. My brother in law writes a similar letter for his wife to say that she has no job and is dependant on him. They then defer you until next year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone