How do you deal with a common cold?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy do I feel like shit:angry:. I usually try many home remedies and/or over the counter drugs but it seems like time is my only relief regardless of what I do.
Any suggestions to make nose a little less runny and cure this mild headache?

Reactions: x65943
D

Deleted-355425

I'm lucky and rarely get ill any more, if you dont hit your dailey vitamin levels within foods take a morning supplement as it helps greatly like a multi vitamin.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm lucky and rarely get ill any more, if you dont hit your dailey vitamin levels within foods take a morning supplement as it helps greatly like a multi vitamin.
I generally take vitamins but there back in another place. Gotta go pick up some more but besides that I eat a good amount of fruits.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I stuff myself to the gills with cold/flu medication. Home remedies are well and good but I want my pseudoephedrine.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stuff myself to the gills with cold/flu medication. Home remedies are well and good but I want my pseudoephedrine.
I'm 50/50 when it comes to meds and home made. It just bugs me that neither seem to work as good on me than with others.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I rarely get ill, but if I have a cold it usually heals fast.

if it doesn't heal fast (1-3 days), I don't worry as I know it only lasts 7 days.
I just wait, and it heals itself. I rarely take anything for headache, even when ill. I don't like taking meds when it clearly does nothing and is not needed.
headache needs calm noiseless environment, and a good night sleep.

For nose, I noticed a hot shower often helps. so, I guess the hot water bowl under a towel to inhale the vapor is a good idea.

ultimately, the best is a box of tissues :P

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Slackot

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generic DayQuil in the morning and generic NyQuil at night. Other than that, sleep a lot and eat good food. Snuggle up with a comfy blanket.

That's what I did the last time.

The Day/NyQuil has decongestant to get rid of the runny nose and Acetaminophen for the headache.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the steam method followed by a nice rest seemed too help a lot :D

I rarely get ill, but if I have a cold it usually heals fast.

if it doesn't heal fast (1-3 days), I don't worry as I know it only lasts 7 days.
I just wait, and it heals itself. I rarely take anything for headache, even when ill. I don't like taking meds when it clearly does nothing and is not needed.
headache needs calm noiseless environment, and a good night sleep.

For nose, I noticed a hot shower often helps. so, I guess the hot water bowl under a towel to inhale the vapor is a good idea.

ultimately, the best is a box of tissues :P
I ran through my box of tissue, TWICE:rofl:
I also notice that the steam in shower wasn't as effective as in a bowl/pot so I think I'll stick to that.

Alcohol that has a strong taste of spices and herbs.
I like some Jägeirmeister when I get a cold.
I had a itchy throat two days ago and upon making a lemon+ginger and honey tea it cleared in two days. I saw somewhere where alcohol(whiskey) was recommended but I thought it was weird.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy do I feel like shit:angry:. I usually try many home remedies and/or over the counter drugs but it seems like time is my only relief regardless of what I do.
Any suggestions to make nose a little less runny and cure this mild headache?
Mucinex for me sucks ass, when I get pissed about my flu I go take a steamy hot shower then eat some spicy maruchan.

D

Deleted-355425

If you guys have Olbas oil over there a few drops of that to breath in through your nose on a tissue is good or a few drops in the bowl when steaming your head under a towel really helps.

Reactions: BlackWizzard17

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sleep plenty, if that is an option.

EDIT: Otherwise, there come the emergency measures...
Do you need to do things, be productive, whatever, but your running nose and general state won't let you? Take pseudoephedrin
Do you feel like you're coughing like shit, but your lungs are still congested and they are aching already? Take something like Mucosolvan
Are you able to sleep? Take some hot tea perhaps, with some honey (it makes your throat hurt less) and sleep.

I would say, avoid drugs and sleep/eat right.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i usually just deal with it natural stile, if i got a fever or are in bad shape like headaches i take paracetamol, but heh, having a cold or flu is something that doesn't really bother me, the other people get annoyed because the high change of passing it away but usually i barely feel sick

Monochrover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, for me, I always go through a certain cycle: first it's a sore throat, then it's a runny nose, and last it's coughing, so I guess I would just submit to the cold and let it flow? Anyway yah, during the runny nose phase go take a nice shower.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I hardly ever get sick at all (like a runny nose in 3 years) and even then I heal within the day unless it's one of the extremely rare cases I get where it's something very bad, but even that only lasts 3 days tops. Here's some advice, unless your cold is EXTREMELY serious, never take medication or anything for it, let your body fight it off normally. The more medication you take, the weaker your immunoreaction becomes and the more sick you get, along with taking way longer to heal up. Also, avoid things like vitamins, just eat properly, better for your body.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)