Homebrew How do I open .rom and .bin files?

SkicoNow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently downloaded Tinke so I could look through the files of my DS ROMs, hoping I to view sound files, images, and maybe even some unused content from the game. When I tried opening one particular ROM with Tinke, I found that my ROM stores all of its sound files in a file called "SoundData.rom", but I can't seem to find any way to extract, decompress, or even open the .rom file within Tinke. I also found quite a few .bin files inside the ROM, but I can't seem to open those, either. Does anyone have any tips on how to open these kinds of files? Thanks.

Last edited by SkicoNow,

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.bin is just plain binary, there might be special tools specifically for that game to open them but don't count on it. It's probably just code.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
.bin is an extension used for any number of formats across computing and the DS. Most then consider it a completely generic extension. Certain ones like arm9.bin, arm7.bin and overlay_????.bin have some more defined roles but other than that you are on your own.

sounddata.rom is odd.
The overwhelming majority of DS games use the sdat sound format, which in most games gets called sound_data.sdat. There are other formats though
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/
Tinke is pretty good about sdat and its detection methods are good too so it is possible it is another format. Do you have a name of the the game so someone can take a look?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: