How do I bypass WiiWare update error

Cotton_Candy_2C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently trying to launch a prototype version of Sonic 4 Episode 1 (don't ask) but every time I try launching it, it gives me the error "This channel cannot be launched because there is a newer version available." I cannot find any information online about bypassing this error, so I am wondering if anyone here has figured out how to launch an older version of a WiiWare title for some reason

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Cotton_Candy_2C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to launch it in Triiforce or USB loader GX or something else that can boot directly into the wad
...what the hell? Can you provide a screenshot? Because I think nobody's ever seen an error like this before, holy hell.
Here is an image of the errors, I tried copying it to the Wii since so I could test it on USB Loader GX (I moved it to the SD Card so all of the WiiWare and Virtual Console stuff wouldn't take up any space on the Wii) and I guess since I tried launching the application after moving it to the SD Card, it refuses to move back to the Wii as well

Attachments

• IMG_20230627_195028.jpg
    IMG_20230627_195028.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230627_195730.jpg
    IMG_20230627_195730.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17

Cotton_Candy_2C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I would say that you should make a copy of the SD card's nintendo folder to save for later, but also maybe try using Priiloader's ability to turn off move/copy restrictions via the hacks menu.
It is off, Block Online Updates is also off but it didn't fix it, I assume that this specific error was just unknown by the Priiloader devs because who the hell is trying to play old versions of WiiWare games, so it just doesn't get patched

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
It is off, Block Online Updates is also off but it didn't fix it, I assume that this specific error was just unknown by the Priiloader devs because who the hell is trying to play old versions of WiiWare games, so it just doesn't get patched
And secondly, how the hell would the Wii know you installed an older wad unless it's for a system title like the shop channel?

Reactions: boot3

Cotton_Candy_2C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And secondly, how the hell would the Wii know you installed an older wad unless it's for a system title like the shop channel?
I would assume the Wii Shop servers keep track on what the newest version is, since this version of Sonic 4 was accidentally released on the Japanese Wii Shop Channel, and I think the download servers are still up, so it might still detect which version it is

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I would assume the Wii Shop servers keep track on what the newest version is, since this version of Sonic 4 was accidentally released on the Japanese Wii Shop Channel, and I think the download servers are still up, so it might still detect which version it is
I see....
Maybe disconnect your Wii from the internet, uninstall the game, find a WAD from uh... well.. I can't really tell you where, and try using that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1