How can i say "I just said" to someone without sounding offensive?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does your associate have a diagnosed short term memory condition? If yes then maybe moderate your tone (though like skipping your 2 year old's birthday it does not matter in the long run as they will likely not remember it), if no then "don't be a cunt" is a sound response to a claim of offence in that situation.

Simple way though
"Dude, I just said that". "Dude" makes people abide.
Depends on the part of the world you stay here if you call someone dude in any way you should prepare yourself for a kick to the balls or a punch to the face lol.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding "No offense" or "I mean no offense" I think is one of the better ways to handle this in addition to being as sincere as possible.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well coming from someone who already been known to struggle with communication and understanding, but only faced with stress, disappointment and umm what else... oh year, people who don't listen. Yeah is a problem and big deal when talking to people. I may be diagnosed with aspergers and people may think it could potentially be something wrong with me but there something wrong with all of us deep down, so i'm not mad, what makes me mad is people will always blame someone else for things and not just admit when they are wrong. If you didn't hear me, didn't listen or you forgot, then say so. General rule, help me help you, or just walk away and go on bout your day. :teach:

(Don't take what i said to heart, it was just my mentality at the moment.)

Reactions: Quantumcat

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of "i just said" just say it again with out a needless phrase like that. It's not in any way needed and is apparently making him feel like you're treating him as a child or fool, even if that's not the intent.

Other wise, upon repeated sayings, just get louder and basically wind up yelling what you're repeating. Treat him like he's got hearing loss, since he's not hearing you, even if that's not the cause.

D

Deleted User

Instead of "i just said" just say it again with out a needless phrase like that. It's not in any way needed and is apparently making him feel like you're treating him as a child or fool, even if that's not the intent.

Other wise, upon repeated sayings, just get louder and basically wind up yelling what you're repeating. Treat him like he's got hearing loss, since he's not hearing you, even if that's not the cause.
I once did that, don't do that if you can scream really loudly. :^)

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Depending on how you said it it could be interpreted in different ways, but no - "I just said" in itself is not offensive even if your conversational partner might have been offended.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Many times people can feel as though their ego has been damaged or their feelings have been hurt, and they'll label whomever caused it as "mean" or "offensive" even if that person did nothing wrong. It's possible that, by innocently pointing out that the answer to their question has been just said before, they were made to feel stupid and became overly defensive, trying to make it look like you did something wrong because they're embarrassed they forgot/didn't understand. Most of the times I see this happen, the person genuinely believes that you're the bad guy just because they were made to feel bad.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude sounds like a little bitch if saying "i just said..." offends them. Tell him to take the stick out of his and to get over it. This world has no room for offended snowflakes anymore.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's also offensive, is not paying enough attention to what some one is saying directly to you. In fact paying so little attention that you repeat what they just said as your own idea thereby also committing the act of theft of idea's and wasting everyone's time...

Sorry but if some one gets offended that you pointed out that, they are not paying attention to the conversation they are in.... that's the person with the bigger problem.

It's the intellectual equivalent of farting and then complaining that your breath smells.

Edit: Basically there is no unoffensive way to point out that some one was not paying attention, since your pointing out the rudeness they exhibited in the first place.

Best to just call it what is, your friend is a dick but doesn't want to be one, so they doubled down on it and accused you of being a dick. Typical dick behavior. Instead of saying "Sorry I zoned out for a minute there and missed that" or "Sorry I didn't understand what you meant, and I managed to come up with a different way to word your idea..." lol

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,
D

Deleted-401606

Dude sounds like a little bitch if saying "i just said..." offends them. Tell him to take the stick out of his and to get over it. This world has no room for offended snowflakes anymore.

This isnt a white boy bro. He said this to a Puerto Rican,the guy would use your body as a living punching bag at the least if you called him a bitch. Not everywhere is USA where u can go around saying whatever your teenage mind wants.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
It's them being an idiot essentially.

So I do this to idiots - "To reiterate". It makes them feel idiotic for making you repeat yourself.

It isn't all people, some people are just easily offended. The easily offended deserve to feel insignificant.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I use "like i mentioned there" or something similar. tone of voice is main thing here imo

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was having an normal conversation to someone, when he forgot what i said earlier, i told him "I just said", he then commented on how offensive my statement was, when there was nothing wrong with what i said, i explained to him how i was sounding direct, then he backs up with claim stating "sometimes being direct is also offensive".

Is this true? Is saying that phrase really offensive? how can i say it without sounding offensive?

somehow i feel like the actual problem is with what came after I just said.

also, without the just, it probably sounds less annoyed.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it's not offencive, they are just trying to run away from the fact they are dumb and did't listen,
attention redirect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE