how about using a RTX 2080Ti as a external GPU on Thunderbolt 3 of a laptop??

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Potential bottlenecks are what you should look out for. I'm not well versed in how eGPUs work, but I know there's a significant performance loss when using an external GPU, which I think is caused by Thunderbolt 3 being a bottleneck. The Pro to an eGPU is that the actual laptop can be pretty thin and light for work, but then can also be used to play games while at home. Just know that you won't get the full performance of the card you buy.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There’s lots of aspects that come into play with eGPU use, not least of which is Thunderbolt 3 itself. For instance, just because it’s TB3, they’re not all equal, there can be two lanes, or four lanes. Like everything else, more is better.

The long tall and short of it though is that on average you’ll see 5% - 15% worse performance on average with an eGPU, compared to a similarly specced laptop, or desktop depending what you’re comparing it to.

The upside? Well you can keep the laptop thin and light for everyday use and still get significant improvements for gaming by hooking up an eGPU. And it’s early days, the technology is still relatively new and it’s already showing a lot of promise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, im now by episode 8 of lain