Hotel Dusk Successor Chase: Cold Case Investigations: Distant Memories Coming to the West

On May 11th Japanese audiences got to enjoy a brand new game by former Cing employees, the developers behind DS's sleeper hits Hotel Dusk and Last Window. Now, courtesy of Aksys Games, players in the west will once again be able to try their hand at being a... rather unusual detective. Riddles galore awaits all 3DS fans with Chase: Cold Case Investigations launching on the eShop this fall. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to put my gumshoe costume already!

:arrow:Source

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would seem so, but I can see the reasoning behind it too. The first is that Last Window was a commercial failure (and the cing went bankrupt), so making a shorter game costs less and leaves less of a risk. Their games got good scores, but that didn't sell them. Second, seeing that the story doesn't end with the first game (at least I imagine), what they're doing is that they're gonna try to see how much the first sells before they decide to bring over the rest. Considering my last point, buying the game will make it more possible for us to get more. So.. Buy it! I don't really mind it being shorter episodes.
So in other words early access/episodic content?

Reactions: Zense

G3nji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man im so stoked right now seeing this game coming to our shelves, ive played Hotel dusk room 215 and im hooked to the bone, im just about to start the 2nd installment next weekend and it feels like its ohhh sooo good weekend. Wish that this spirtual successor will bring back the interest for nintendo to publish more games like this, Kyle hyde's story is not finished says the president of cing, such ashamed that we might not see it end but it might be possible through kickstarter, which i highly doubt since the game is not popular.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It feels like throwing insult to injury showing of the trailer using a standard new 3DS (black)

Does this confirm the US will finally get it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would rather they wrap up the story of Kyle Hyde. Never really found out what happened to his partner.
The characters have different names, possibly due to copyright issues, but it's pretty obvious that one of the protagonists is supposed to be Kyle Hyde - it's not just uncanny resemblance, it's a carbon copy, so perhaps you'll get your wish eventually. Besides, do we really need to know each and every detail? There's no harm in never knowing what happened to his partner, really - it's just a vehicle that moves the protagonist from case to case. The journey is more important than the goal here.
I was talking about that specific 3DS. The US doesn't have it while the rest of the world does.
Then import it - there's no shortage of Region Free solutions nowadays, the region of your New3DS is becoming increasingly irrelevant with so many entry points, CFW's and the Homebrew Channel around.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hotel Dusk was my first DS game, came with the DS Lite I bought. <3
The 3DS is lacking detective games when compared to the DS, it's quite a pity.

Reactions: emuashui

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The characters have different names, possibly due to copyright issues, but it's pretty obvious that one of the protagonists is supposed to be Kyle Hyde - it's not just uncanny resemblance, it's a carbon copy, so perhaps you'll get your wish eventually. Besides, do we really need to know each and every detail? There's no harm in never knowing what happened to his partner, really - it's just a vehicle that moves the protagonist from case to case. The journey is more important than the goal here.

No thanks. I like closure and not living with regret. It's clear there's some deep, dark drama behind Hyde and his partner. It seems stupid to ignore it because of some love of adventure. That kind of attitude is not appropriate for any policeman, or mystery video game, to have. This isn't an action adventure.

Imagine if a detective told Johnny Gosch's mother "it's the journey, not the goal". She would punch that person straight into Alpha Centauri.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think if they managed to get the rights, a story from his father's perspective or his partner's would be cool. Still, a different universe isn't bad, just not perfect.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then import it - there's no shortage of Region Free solutions nowadays, the region of your New3DS is becoming increasingly irrelevant with so many entry points, CFW's and the Homebrew Channel around.
I also would like to use the eShop and if God forbid I need crap transferred over and need to call NoA for their permission for a reset (dealt with this once already, very stupid)

I'll import it if there turns out to never be one released in the US. Begrudgingly.

G3nji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sales on nintendo eshop isnt really sale, psn store does alot more better and can almost par with steam sales on pc, Ive always prefer physical over digital because of how it saves my storage capacity for games plus it looks good if youre a collector of games or series. still buying this game on its full price though because when i bought hotel dusk room 215, its just 5 fuckin dollars, i felt liked shit when i played through the game knowing that it was good and it feels like it didnt deserve to be bought in that amount of money. hell look at the games we get nowadays full of micro transactions and addons and still feel empty.

Reactions: emuashui

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
The originals had plenty of depth to them, although they were dialogue-heavy. The initial impressions regarding this one are mixed or negative-leaning, but I feel that it might be nostalgia glasses at play - it's been too long since we've had a Cing game to play.
It's not. Rika Suzuki, the writer of all the previous CiNG games except the terrible "Again: Eye of Providence" isn't involved this time. The story is largely forgettable, I've heard and only 3 hours long.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not. Rika Suzuki, the writer of all the previous CiNG games except the terrible "Again: Eye of Providence" isn't involved this time. The story is largely forgettable, I've heard and only 3 hours long.
I'm fine with games being short as long as they're good. I'd rather have good 3 hours than 100 grueling ones. I guess we'll see how the game is once it gets here, I don't feel like playing it in Japanese.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, as I've stated earlier having this game short makes sense considering how well the others fared. 3 hours sound perfect for me, and adding additional episodes to that would be great. I do hope the writing and mystery is on par with the older games. We'll find out this fall anyways.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to support it because I think the director and CiNG in general had talent, but I'm not holding my breath for this being remarkable. I read impressions and most of them were of disappointment that the story ultimately isn't interesting enough and the gameplay is more passive than your usual CiNG fare. Still, I was told the 2D animated models look fantastic and the writing does evoke a "Kyle Hyde during his LAPD days" even though this is an alternative IP to Hotel Dusk where Kyle Hyde is "Yonosuuke blabla" and does police work in Tokyo and not LA. It's just a bunch of cases and a bit of tongue-in-cheek personality and charm I think, but nothing revelatory in terms of storytelling like earlier CiNG games.

I'm buying it in hopes of them making a bigger game in the future with the success of this title and hopefully they get Rika Suzuki back one day because she is the number one reason why people are already gushing over this, even if they won't admit it.

Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021