XP
Country
United Kingdom
Magmorph said:
ProtoKun7 said:
30084pm said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Technically, no.
Pardon me for having a different opinion, though.
umm technically yes. The dictionary proved you otherwise

That means at least one of two things. Either the dictionary is wrong or your application of it is.
rolleyes.gif

You don't even take into consideration that your application could be wrong?

Of course. It didn't take me very long at all to realise that it wasn't.

BlueStar said:
ProtoKun7 said:
And that is my opinion, which I have the freedom to state without being confrontational.

And I have the freedom to state my opinion that people who say they would rather not associate with homosexuals wherever possible are homophobic.
As I said earlier, I'm not afraid of heights but that doesn't mean I go out looking for them.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Jun 13 2011, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE(ProtoKun7 @ Jun 13 2011, 01:55 PM)
I didn't stop interacting with that teacher
Yet it seems you would have liked to.
To be honest, I actually found him quite funny and a nice person. Just a minor detail that I don't like, but then there are probably several points you have about some people that you don't like.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
As I said earlier, I'm not afraid of heights but that doesn't mean I go out looking for them.

As as people have repeatedly pointed out to you, homophobia doesn't mean you're terrified of gays.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I read, I think Proto doesn't like homosexuality, however it won't stop him from getting to know the person. I'm not sure if I'm right though

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you guys know that sexuality is a fluid state of mind throughout ones lifetime and it is common for one to switch back and forth as to which gender he/she prefers? This obviously would not depend on whether or not one is homophobic. Having phobias vary on an individual basis. For example, if I have arachnaphobia would that mean that I would prefer to lay in a bed of spiders? hmm now that would be odd.

anyway I kinda find it odd that people continually find a place to speak about whether or not they are gay on an open video gaming forum, rather than keeping it down to business of "when is the next pokemon game coming out" or "when is the next zelda reiteration going to be made available"

But I degress....

yuyuyup said:
can't you just be a BI

like on tv

yuyuyup is our most prized possession and should always be protected at all costs.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
The analogy should be: I'm not afraid of heights, I just try to avoid them wherever possible.
If you said: "I'm not afraid of gay people but that doesn't mean I go out looking for them." I don't think anyone would be labeling you as homophobic.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
BlueStar said:
ProtoKun7 said:

As as people have repeatedly pointed out to you, homophobia doesn't mean you're terrified of gays.
Then it's a misnomer.

That can certainly be argued, and some people have asked for a term with greater semantic transpaency to prevent exactly the confusion we've seen in this thread. But then the meaning of words comes from their usage, rather than their literal meaning if you trace their roots far back enough. GBAtemp is neither a GBA-focused site or temporary. If you say you've got a hydrophobic material in a science experiment, you're not saying that the material has an actual fear of liquid. The suffix -phobia is attached to various types of predudices.

In fact, homophobia should really mean "fear of the same", if we're just going off literal meaning. If you say you're a "Workoholic" you're apparently implying you have an addiction to something called workohol, but we know what is meant by usage.

Any reputable source you look at will define its meaning as wider than just a fear. But if you prefer, I'll just remove ambiguity by saying that I think someone who would rather not associate with homosexuals wherever possible, based solely on their orientation, holds a predjudice against homosexuals.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BlueStar said:
ProtoKun7 said:

A phobia is a morbid fear of something, largely irrational.
I do not fear them.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was completely content to let this thread die out. BUT!
BlueStar: Well spoken,
but I do have one point to make.

I believe if you were to call him "prejudiced" against gay people,
that would imply that he is going to treat openly gay people differently
from those who are not openly gay, or those who are overtly straight.
And though he may not go out of his way to spend time with gay people,
he's shown that he's quite capable of treating gay people fairly.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ProtoKun7 said:
I have no phobia of the people, I just don't like what they've chosen.

Just in case you weren't aware, it's not a choice. Do you not like kids with Down's Syndrome? They had about as much choice as gay people did.

:|

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
lilsypha said:
ProtoKun7 said:

Just in case you weren't aware, it's not a choice. Do you not like kids with Down's Syndrome? They had about as much choice as gay people did.

what you are saying can be debatable. there are people that think that one is born how he is, and others that believe that a person becomes what he is depending on the environment it grows on. i personally believe in the 2nd one. and this can be applied to any topic, not just homosexuality.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
iluvfupaburgers said:
lilsypha said:
ProtoKun7 said:

what you are saying can be debatable. there are people that think that one is born how he is, and others that believe that a person becomes what he is depending on the environment it grows on. i personally believe in the 2nd one. and this can be applied to any topic, not just homosexuality.
I grew up in a totally heterosexual environment, in a right wing conservative town where homosexuality isn't very open.
Yet at a young age of 10, I wanted to be with other guys. I am not saying environment isn't a part of it, but I don't think it's the cause of it.

blackrider

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lilsypha said:
ProtoKun7 said:

Yeah that's it, homosexuality is a disorder like Down's Syndrome. Maybe we can take up a collection to help find a cure for this malady.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
A Gay Little Catboy said:
iluvfupaburgers said:
lilsypha said:
ProtoKun7 said:

I grew up in a totally heterosexual environment, in a right wing conservative town where homosexuality isn't very open.
Yet at a young age of 10, I wanted to be with other guys. I am not saying environment isn't a part of it, but I don't think it's the cause of it.
anything could have affected this decision of yours. today you can find homosexual images everywhere. on tv, ads, newspaper, anywhere really, and can affect ones decision, specially at a young age when you are still not even sure of what sexuality is.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
iluvfupaburgers said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
iluvfupaburgers said:
lilsypha said:
ProtoKun7 said:

anything could have affected this decision of yours. today you can find homosexual images everywhere. on tv, ads, newspaper, anywhere really, and can affect ones decision, specially at a young age when you are still not even sure of what sexuality is.
Decision? I did not decide to be gay. You really think I would have decided to live a life where people hate me before they even know me, where people have tried to kill me, where people have treated me like shit just because I happened to be gay? Homosexuality is as much a choice as the color of someone skin.
Honestly I would rather be Black, at least then I know I don't have to come out to people.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
yeah, i actually do see it as a decision. other animal species dont do this. if it were some sort of dissorder, we would see it in other animals. but the fact is that this has only been seen in 2 species. humans and dolphins. why, because sex means something else than just reproduction, its also pleasure aswell. you took the decision that you like men, not conciously, but you did. and many factors of this decision have been because of your life. maybe because of living in such a close minded environment took you to being gay.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iluvfupaburgers said:
yeah, i actually do see it as a decision. other animal species dont do this. if it were some sort of dissorder, we would see it in other animals. but the fact is that this has only been seen in 2 species. humans and dolphins. why, because sex means something else than just reproduction, its also pleasure aswell. you took the decision that you like men, not conciously, but you did. and many factors of this decision have been because of your life. maybe because of living in such a close minded environment took you to being gay.

Actually, yes they do. I've had two gay dogs before. Didn't report it to the local news, but it does happen.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iluvfupaburgers said:

I want to take the bait, I really do .. but you just can't argue with ignorance.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Just gonna say:

Animals of all kinds display the exact same tendencies that humans do regarding gender, sexuality, and the like. It leads to a belief that there is a genetic link common between many species that may distinguish more than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ