Hacking Here's what we know about how Gateway works...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yellows8, Neimod and others been working on the 3DS hack are geniuses.

Thank you guys and all the Gateway team to make this possible:)

Reactions: dot7z

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you see the FW spoofing ? GW already showing that they can beat Nintendo at the update game. I have no doubt that ANY future game CAN and WILL be supported
Spoofing is a temporary fix. Any future games will be patched with new security to check if the 3DS is spoofing. PSP did the same kinda stuff. You are setting your hopes way too high.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already turned off WiFi and wireless communications by pressing the slider button (not that it does any good right now). They just gotta work on newer firmware, because it would alienate potential prospective customers; there at least should be a warning/disclaimer somewhere. ;) I really wish I didn't update three days ago ROFL

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm just tired of the cat and mouse patching game... I wish a permanent anti-Nintendo hack would surface. Something that can not only block Nintendo's updates, but also run newer games by bypassing the update partition in the game carts. Then, we would win, just like we did with the Wii.

that would be godly and would stop nintendo hard in their tracks, give more devs more confidence to mess about with the 3ds.

Reactions: JayRo

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoofing is a temporary fix. Any future games will be patched with new security to check if the 3DS is spoofing. PSP did the same kinda stuff. You are setting your hopes way too high.

i wouldn't worry too much about games checking for if a spoof is going on.

that being said, i do agree with you that it is a bandaid solution, as eventually games will be released that actually make calls to new functions in the latest firmwares. at the end of the day though, a bandaid solution is better than no solution. fw spoofing will have people playing games today while the team (and hopefully other teams) try to find a solution to hack newer firmwares.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Already turned off WiFi and wireless communications by pressing the slider button (not that it does any good right now). They just gotta work on newer firmware, because it would alienate potential prospective customers; there at least should be a warning/disclaimer somewhere. ;) I really wish I didn't update three days ago ROFL

Well it sure doesn't hurt anybody to turn your WiFi off, does it?
You never know what they will find.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sony's firmwares once in a while brick people's consoles. There was one in 2.xx that did it, and a recent one in 4.4x that did too.
The 4.4 brick left the recovery menu available though and the update after that fixed it, so no PS3s got permanently broken. Not sure about 2.x, that was before I had one.

Ontopic: for a while there might be a way to avoid updating and still play newer games, but once the firmware gets some new functions that games will support (Miiverse end of this year) that'll stop working. AKA anything with Miiverse support probably will never work unless they find some way to make it work on newer firmwares (which I doubt will happen).

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if they made newer games not work with spoofing, we can still jump between firmwares. Dump your 4.5, update if you want to play something unsupported at the time, drop back to 4.5 once you are done/if an interesting development happened.

Not a great solution, but at least lets you play newer stuff & keep your options open for anything interesting.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, people are posting baseless opinions as facts. First of all, not making a console "unhackable" is not smart or stupid. It's impossible. Sure Nintendo could have made it worse by adding ASLR or better sand boxing, but they didn't because a business is complex and they invested so much time that they feel justified. Please stop trying to feel superior to hundreds of business professionals and engineers.

Second, assuming the kernel exploit is fixed in 5.0 (and I have do doubt new ones would be found given time), it's easy for Nintendo to stop future games from working even with firmware spoofing. Just change the encryption keys, or make large changes to the sdk. Also, it is easy to stop NAND dump downgrades also in the future. I'm personally of the same opinion as neimod et al, and hope that piracy would stay at 4.5.

Reactions: 2ndApex and Arras

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, it is easy to stop NAND dump downgrades also in the future. I'm personally of the same opinion as neimod et al, and hope that piracy would stay at 4.5.
sorry, to stop nand downgrades, that's likely impossible for nintendo to do without a hardware revision. how would you envision that would be possible, if you don't mind clarifying?

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hey buddies, a little question. I have my 3DS on 1.1 firmware. Is it possible to apply the Gateway patch over it and then use Red gateway card to load rom then update it according to the update stored in rom files..?

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey buddies, a little question. I have my 3DS on 1.1 firmware. Is it possible to apply the Gateway patch over it and then use Red gateway card to load rom then update it according to the update stored in rom files..?

This thread will be useful to you : http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-games-come-bundled-with-update-4-5-0.351084/ and DONT TURN ON THE WIFI when you update your 3DS, or you are screwed up. The update is inside the game. So it's better to update your 3DS in a safe place.

serie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally of the same opinion as neimod et al, and hope that piracy would stay at 4.5.

I love to see ppl without clue debating about how bad piracy is.

Just one note, i was with Neimod at Static, if you dont know what it was, jut google a bit and you will realize how absurd your statments are.

I miss those times with him and Lowang, what a couple ...

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
This thread will be useful to you : http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-games-come-bundled-with-update-4-5-0.351084/ and DONT TURN ON THE WIFI when you update your 3DS, or you are screwed up. The update is inside the game. So it's better to update your 3DS in a safe place.
checked it few weeks ago, buddy. But, I dun have any recent games. Will it be safe to install it in 1.1, buddy...? I was looking for a review of lower firmware compatibility of gateway 3DS but cant find one..

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
checked it few weeks ago, buddy. But, I dun have any recent games. Will it be safe to install it in 1.1, buddy...? I was looking for a review of lower firmware compatibility of gateway 3DS but cant find one..

Sorry for you, you can't dude, only on 4.1-4.5:(

So I would suggest buying a game from that list or just renting it or why not borrowing it from a friend?

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Sorry for you, you can't dude, only on 4.1-4.5:(

So I would suggest buying a game from that list or just renting it or why not borrowing it from a friend?
Well buddy, in my city I know only one person who own 3DS and in my country I think not more than 20 active 3DS owner... Anyway buddy, thanks for reply...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag