Hardware Help with New3DS Katsukity Capture Card

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but might as well. I've gotten the New3DS Capture Card from Katsukity back in Summer 2015 and it was working wonderfully well ever since. But just recently, it's been acting up and it has the "No Valid Data" message popping up and freezing the video feed. If I mess with the USB part that's connected to the 3DS, the video works again, but would eventually freeze with the same message.

Is there anyone out there who can help me with this problem? Maybe even know how to repair it? I've already asked Tecd0c (Merki, the European 3DS Capture Card distributer), but he doesn't use other parts from Katsukity and Loopy (the USA 3DS Capture Card guy) said that he's not repairing anymore Capture Cards from Katsukity.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think you're out of luck there :( Katsukity's boards are known for their very short lifespan...However, given the description of your problem it seems like there's just a connection issue between the usb port and the board, which is something anybody with soldering skills would likely be able to fix.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're out of luck there :( Katsukity's boards are known for their very short lifespan...However, given the description of your problem it seems like there's just a connection issue between the usb port and the board, which is something anybody with soldering skills would likely be able to fix.
I was thinking that may be the case. I'm sure the board itself is fine, but the USB port is having problems.

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Those capture boards are expensive, should be an easy soldering fix.. why not give it a go ? save some cash at the same time and learn a new skill :)

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might have to open it up and take a look at the port where it's soldered onto the board, see what the extent of the damage is.

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is: I have practically no soldering skills and I probably won't be able to tell what the damage looks like. :(
Well if you open it up and look at the metal housing of the USB connector, there should be some small metal contacts coming off of it and you should be able to wiggle it around and see if they lift off the board. Also take a close look inside the USB connector to see if the plastic in the middle is missing or damaged.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
try another micro usb cable.
i used a different cable one time and the video froze after a few minutes.
there's also an update for the viewer's usb driver.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you open it up and look at the metal housing of the USB connector, there should be some small metal contacts coming off of it and you should be able to wiggle it around and see if they lift off the board. Also take a close look inside the USB connector to see if the plastic in the middle is missing or damaged.
And then what? How would I know what to do to fix it, if that's the case?
try another micro usb cable.
i used a different cable one time and the video froze after a few minutes.
there's also an update for the viewer's usb driver.
I've used the updated USB driver for a while now.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can fix loose USB ports. If you want to do it yourself, pretin your soldering iron, put some solder flix on the USB port and resolder them down. This will work as long as the USB port came loose, but did not remove or damage the pads and traces.

Reactions: Charoncaori

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.