ROM Hack Help with converting the dumped hex(?) to text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sorry about that...there ended up being something screwy with the extractor, though. after a certain point, being 7FFF, it reset the starting point of the thing to adder, so if you look at the end of each of those files, you'll be finding some garbled nonsense. sorry. i should have mentioned that earlier...

actually, if you don't mind waiting for a few hours, i'll write something so that all the text is in one file and all the other stuff is in another. that should make your life much easier.

make that a few minutes. lemme print my homework then i'll go upload it.

Ouran tool v 1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/?nxilmjuzbvc
sorry about that, 5hours...i hadn't looked to see if the extractor was fully functional when i first released it and i hadn't realized that the garbled nonsense at the end of each file was garbled nonsense...

5hours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
sorry about that...there ended up being something screwy with the extractor, though. after a certain point, being 7FFF, it reset the starting point of the thing to adder, so if you look at the end of each of those files, you'll be finding some garbled nonsense. sorry. i should have mentioned that earlier...

actually, if you don't mind waiting for a few hours, i'll write something so that all the text is in one file and all the other stuff is in another. that should make your life much easier.

Ouran tool v 1.1
sorry about that, 5hours...i hadn't looked to see if the extractor was fully functional when i first released it and i hadn't realized that the garbled nonsense at the end of each file was garbled nonsense...
It's fine, the fact that you're taking the time to constantly rewrite it and even decided to make it, is what I appreciate a lot. Especially since it's for someone who has no experience with this at all. (Except maybe for porting visual novels for VNDS.. heheh)

I'll rip the texts again then, and re-upload them on the wiki, and then I'll go hunt down some translators. And then just set it to public. (Already added you to the list of hacking/scripting etc., since you've contributed a lot so far
smile.gif
(And I just realised that having to upload and organize the scripts again isn't that much of a hassle, and before they might have looked a bit too confusing for people not familiar with the setup etc.. Namely, I made all the tabs for the translation red, and the name tabs blue, so that's why I feared having to re-upload those new scripts again, but since that's no longer necessary anymore; thanks!)

Hope you don't mind me asking, but this programming etc that you so casually seem to do, is it related to a study or are you really just doing it for fun?

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
5hours said:
azerty1 said:

Ouran tool v 1.1
It's fine, the fact that you're taking the time to constantly rewrite it and even decided to make it, is what I appreciate a lot. Especially since it's for someone who has no experience with this at all. (Except maybe for porting visual novels for VNDS.. heheh)

I'll rip the texts again then, and re-upload them on the wiki, and then I'll go hunt down some translators. And then just set it to public. (Already added you to the list of hacking/scripting etc., since you've contributed a lot so far
smile.gif
(And I just realised that having to upload and organize the scripts again isn't that much of a hassle, and before they might have looked a bit too confusing for people not familiar with the setup etc.. Namely, I made all the tabs for the translation red, and the name tabs blue, so that's why I feared having to re-upload those new scripts again, but since that's no longer necessary anymore; thanks!)

You can probably put the xxx_x_xtext.txt files in some sort of spreadsheet and then keep the other files on your computer for when you actually insert stuff into the files.
Don't just copy and paste all the text into one huge file, though. they need to be in the write files when they go back through the inserter...
oh, and if you don't like the numbers in front of each line (i made that since i realized that if someone deleted one line it would all go to hell), i can get rid of them if you want...or i can just make it optional.

QUOTE(5hours @ Jan 23 2010, 12:24 PM)
Hope you don't mind me asking, but this programming etc that you so casually seem to do, is it related to a study or are you really just doing it for fun?
i like math, and programming problems are a lot like math. after a while, once i finished about half of the project euler problems, i decided i should learn how to do something useful.

5hours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
You can probably put the xxx_x_xtext.txt files in some sort of spreadsheet and then keep the other files on your computer for when you actually insert stuff into the files. Don't just copy and paste all the text into one huge file, though. they need to be in the write files when they go back through the inserter...
I didn't
wink.gif
I posted every txt file on a new page. But some were extremely long and made the page laggy because of all those extra commands, so yeah.
But that's no longer an issue anymore.

The numbers are no problem, as long as they don't complicate the insertion process.

Was wondering though, since the bin and bin\scene contain all the crucial dialogues, but the welcome text you get when you open the menu, 'Welcome to the host club' and 'Hello, what would you like to do today?" etc. , doesn't cover these files. Are they perhaps stored in the arm7 and arm9 files? Since those are the only bin files that haven't been opened yet..

5hours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I think something went wrong.
Just a few files seem to be fine, they only contain the text in the following format like intended:
1: texttexttext
2: texttexttext
3: texttexttext

Others are still in the old format (although numbered), while the rest is all empty..

EDIT: The regular text files came out okay, with the whole tab including the type and length etc, but the for example, 500_ev1010text, is empty.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
5hours said:
Wait, I think something went wrong.
Just a few files seem to be fine, they only contain the text in the following format like intended:
1: texttexttext
2: texttexttext
3: texttexttext

Others are still in the old format (although numbered), while the rest is all empty..

EDIT: The regular text files came out okay, with the whole tab including the type and length etc, but the for example, 500_ev1010text, is empty.
oh shoot...i forgot to write flush and close the second textwriter...
http://www.mediafire.com/?2jokjrvyilx

sorry about that...that was such a stupid mistake that shouldn't have happened.

5hours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's working flawless now. Thanks for the quick fix.

(Was wondering though, since the bin and bin\scene contain all the crucial dialogues, but the welcome text you get when you open the menu, 'Welcome to the host club' and 'Hello, what would you like to do today?" etc. , doesn't cover these files. Are they perhaps stored in the arm7 and arm9 files? Since those are the only bin files that haven't been opened yet.. Look into it whenever you want and have time, please don't strain yourself.)

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
5hours said:
It's working flawless now. Thanks for the quick fix.

(Was wondering though, since the bin and bin\scene contain all the crucial dialogues, but the welcome text you get when you open the menu, 'Welcome to the host club' and 'Hello, what would you like to do today?" etc. , doesn't cover these files. Are they perhaps stored in the arm7 and arm9 files? Since those are the only bin files that haven't been opened yet.. Look into it whenever you want and have time, please don't strain yourself.)

if it's something that isolated, we can probably do that manually...like, just editing each sentence in the rom and then rewriting the pointers manually.

EWHPTIV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been searching the internets for translations to both these games, so it's really exciting to see that they're both covered in the same thread. That being said, there hasn't been any movement on this topic for a couple months now. Are these projects still going on? What's the story?

(And yes, I registered an account for this community just so I could post on this thread. I'm just that obsessed.)

5hours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EWHPTIV said:
I've been searching the internets for translations to both these games, so it's really exciting to see that they're both covered in the same thread. That being said, there hasn't been any movement on this topic for a couple months now. Are these projects still going on? What's the story?
(And yes, I registered an account for this community just so I could post on this thread. I'm just that obsessed.)
Well, that's all completely my fault, hehe. I know I let everything completely slip all of a sudden, but I just didn't have the time and commitment to do it, I guess.
Some other things showed up.. so yeah. I actually wanted to post again when I had started up things again, but since you asked.. well.
I guess it's better that I posted here now, so that it reminds me how pumped I actually was to do this project.
Right now I know there's actually better stuff I could do, but I hope to make a little progress this weekend,
by finally completing the wiki with all the scripts. (and then do a few basic translations first myself etc.. and then, well, we'll see.)
(Can't promise anything though, because when the moment is there, I might let it all go again.)

Hm yeah, stay tuned? (To those reading, I know I should get back to the Tokimeki editing as well, it's just that I've had a couple of rough months, and my mind just wanders, I can't really focus right now..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.