Hacking Help regarding first time installing a CFW JB for PS3 PHAT

MarcusArthuriel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
:unsure: I will be buying a PS3 (Phat most likely) in the next couple of days thanks to a black Friday deal I'm seeing for Gamestop that I find to good to pass ($79.99 for 80GB Phat model).
I'm really interested in learning how to jailbreak it. I would love if someone could maybe give me a few pointers on what CFW I should use. Few "Step by Step" guides I've found are sort of outdated :(
I'm also very interested in earning trophies on some PS3 backups I might start playing. The big questions I have are these; What CFW could/should I install that would work best in my favor for playing PS3/PS2/PSP Backups?
And what would be the safest way for me to able to go online and sync my trophies to my profile on PSN with the lowest chances possible of getting banned?

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing significant has changed much in the way of CFW for quite a long time. Those "outdated guides" still work.
Multiman guide by Cyan, still works.
How to Play PS2 Games on PS3?, still works. It's one method of running PS2 Games.

My guide isn't even exactly a guide, it's an information thread mostly to educate beginners with the OFW section and a simplified installation guide. (As much as I could simplify it)
Mines is the least "outdated", I guess.

COBRA ODE is a different matter altogether.

As for your questions, you need a 3.55 firmware or lower PS3. No BUTS.
Anything above needs to be downgraded but only certain models who's original manufacture firmware was at 3.55 or under can be downgraded.

Downgrading is a hardware mod using a piece of hardware called a flasher and the use of soldering. It is a complicated process and I highly doubt you could perform it on first try. Hire another person to downgrade it for you

CFW to install: REBUG, no questions about it. It has COBRA USB support embedded in the CFW if you want to play PS2 ISOs and avoid all that PS2 Classics placeholder stuff.

Safest way? PSNPatch. It disables CFW stuff temporarily.
Still there's no foolproof way of avoiding bans. Just use common sense, don't go on popular servers like Call of Duty and GTA.

Last edited by CheeseCake,

MarcusArthuriel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing significant has changed much in the way of CFW for quite a long time. Those "outdated guides" still work.
Multiman guide by Cyan, still works.
How to Play PS2 Games on PS3?, still works. It's one method of running PS2 Games.

My guide isn't even exactly a guide, it's an information thread mostly to educate beginners with the OFW section and a simplified installation guide. (As much as I could simplify it)
Mines is the least "outdated", I guess.

COBRA ODE is a different matter altogether.

As for your questions, you need a 3.55 firmware or lower PS3. No BUTS.
Anything above needs to be downgraded but only certain models who's original manufacture firmware was at 3.55 or under can be downgraded.

Downgrading is a hardware mod using a piece of hardware called a flasher and the use of soldering. It is a complicated process and I highly doubt you could perform it on first try. Hire another person to downgrade it for you

CFW to install: REBUG, no questions about it. It has COBRA USB support embedded in the CFW if you want to play PS2 ISOs and avoid all that PS2 Classics placeholder stuff.

Safest way? PSNPatch. It disables CFW stuff temporarily.
Still there's no foolproof way of avoiding bans. Just use common sense, don't go on popular servers like Call of Duty and GTA.
Thanks for the response! Straight to the point and very informative :) I appreciate it ;)
Was all night reading and looking up different guides. I would definitely try using the e3 Flasher from Modchipcentral.com, but it's a little expensive :(
The COBRA ODE however caught my attention. I wonder if I could use the Cobra ODE to run PS3/PS2/PSP ISO's or go on PSN even though the system firmware would not be the most recent:S :unsure:

D

Deleted User

ODE's don't work on OFW 4.65 or later. There's almost no point to ODE's unless you enjoy soldering/swap discs. IF you have a fat ps3, just downgrade it or pay someone to do it for you.

MarcusArthuriel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ODE's don't work on OFW 4.65 or later. There's almost no point to ODE's unless you enjoy soldering/swap discs. IF you have a fat ps3, just downgrade it or pay someone to do it for you.
I see. Well I'm in process of doing so. I was able to get the $80 dollar PS3 on black friday. It's got 4.76 OFW installed. I'm on Modchipcentral trying to figure out if I should get the 4 piece E3 NOR Flasher - Downgrader or the E3 Flasher 3K Limited? Any suggestions?

D

Deleted User

E3 is best, but only 2500 models and lower are flashable. Also need to figure out if it's a NAND or NOR chip. Should check your model number first.

MarcusArthuriel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
E3 is best, but only 2500 models and lower are flashable. Also need to figure out if it's a NAND or NOR chip. Should check your model number first.
The PS3 I got is a PHAT CECHL 01 NOR so I think it is flashable. E3 NOR Flasher - Downgrader or the E3 Flasher 3K Limited, Do you know which of these two E3 flashers would be the best one I should use?

Last edited by MarcusArthuriel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1