Hacking HELP!!! Nintendo won't replace my cracked DS hinge

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
First of all, I live in Portugal. I was under the impression (from articles such as this) that Nintendo of Europe was replacing DS Lites with cracked hinges.

So anyway, last december my gf's DSL had a cracked hinge... and it WAS NOT just a cosmetic issue. Her hinge broke in a way that the DS would no longer remain closed. (i.e. if you turn it upside down, the top display part would just fall and hang there because whatever was keeping it closed is broken)

My gf was the most careful person with her DS. I gave it to her on her birthday and she would never take it anywhere without putting it inside a DSL pouch in her purse.

So I went to the place where I bought it and they called Concentra (the portuguese distributor of Nintendo products) and they just said that they had received a few complaints but they were not instructed by Nintendo to repair any cracked hinges and so it would cost 45€ for a replacement case!!
wtf.gif

The guy at the store was really nice and he said he'd take the DSL anyway and try his best to get it fixed but no promises. He said he'd call me once he knew more.

Today (one month and a half later) I went by the store because they had not called me yet. I waited for almost an hour while he called Concentra again and AGAIN they refuse to fix any cracked DSL hinges and they said that it was probably misuse on my gf's part. I was furious!

The guy at the store is now asking me for proof that Nintendo is repairing the hinges for free but for the life of me, I cannot find it. There is nowhere on Nintendo's website (or press.nintendo.com) that mentions ANYTHING about hinges.

PLEASE guys, help me find the press release and stick that proof in their faces.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
That's the problem. We don't have an official Nintendo representation in Portugal. If you check nintendo-europe.com there is no Portugal listed. The official distributor is Concentra and they don't seem to give a crap.
frown.gif

seyfer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the problem of nintendo in portugal has a name: CONCENTRA, because of that bad distributor nintendo fame in portugal is very bad, so it doesn't surprise me if they tell they don't know of that repair part...

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi mate (I'm an italain living in AUS) and I live in Australia and they would NOT REPLACE MINE....

Cost me $50 / 55 (not too sure) Aus dollars (including postage and handling)

Believe I had a vey long agrument with Nintendo about this but their agrument is that only the early US launch ds lite units have the weak hidge problem that can be covered by warranty....

as for cases I look it up....

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
my nintendo ds lite's speakers stuffed up so i went back to my local jb hi fi and they replaced free of charge. nintendo does cost a lot thoug. why not try the store

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i were home, Id scan my invoice from NOA for the broken hinge problem.. Sorry though
frown.gif
maybe someone can do it...
unsure.gif

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
This sucks big time!

I was under the impression that Nintendo were replacing the cracked hinged units, since it's obviously a manufacturing defect.
lecture.gif

My white DSlite was fine for the first few months, and then BAM out of nowhere the left hinge had a hairline crack. It didn't really bother me though since it was just cosmetic, and didn't affect playing on it. (Plus I assumed Nintendo would replace it for free if I decided to send it in. )

Then suddenly after approx 6 months the RIGHT hinge also started to crack, and in the last few weeks it's got bigger and bigger. Now the top screen just flaps around, and I thought it was time to send it in; only to read that nintendo are suddenly claiming it's not a product fault?!!

I just want to add that although my DS has been used quite a bit, it's been in a protective case and looks absolutely immaculate apart from the cracked hinges. It's never been dropped or mishandled in any way.

I'm gonna phone Nintendo(UK) tomorrow, and see what they have to say.
mad.gif

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Noobix: that is exactly my situation. The top screen just flaps around ... it breaks my heart every time I look at the DS :/

What pisses me off is that in some countries they are fixing the cracks for free and in others just claiming that it is misuse.

Please let us know how your call to Nintendo turns out.

mugenk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i got also a problème with hinge, on the right side (opposite of the power connector). when i open the screen, the part of the plastic behind the DS open itself, the hinge plastic of the hinge crack.
i go to the shop i buy my DS lite. the guy said me that he send a DS few days ago (he doesn't remember if it was a DS phat or lite), and he said to me that nintendo don't take it in warranty and the costumer had to pay 30€ with no repair to get back his DS.
he said that he will get info before send mine to nintendo, if it was a ds phat or lite

i go back to see him yesterday. he call someone, i don't know who. when he back, he exchange me the DS, and give me a new one directly.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Noobix: that is exactly my situation. The top screen just flaps around ... it breaks my heart every time I look at the DS :/

What pisses me off is that in some countries they are fixing the cracks for free and in others just claiming that it is misuse.

Please let us know how your call to Nintendo turns out.

Hehe...well I forgot it was Friday when I posted! (Saturday now.
shy.gif
)

Anyway I just phoned and got an automated message saying they are only open Mon-Fri.
rofl2.gif

Roll on Monday.
grog.gif

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
the problem of nintendo in portugal has a name: CONCENTRA, because of that bad distributor nintendo fame in portugal is very bad, so it doesn't surprise me if they tell they don't know of that repair part...

Quoted for the Truth!
If Nintendo is less popular than an incurable and contagious virus, it's because of Concentra.
Concentra's main focus in on kiddie toys and dolls, while Nintendo support is for their free time.
Even now, when I go to a major electronics retailer (Fnac), there's only a one space for DS and GBA games, while the PS2 has three or four spaces full of crappy games.
And Gamecube? :'( They have only half a dozen titles, with a couple of years old, and full price!

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That happens pretty much everywhere, all the shops stock up on sony and such as it appeals to more people. Even though Nintendo does too, it just seems more childish compared to sony, kinda sad really.

Firon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Lite's left hinge cracked, Nintendo repaired it with no problems. Unfortunately, it cracked again (same spot, same way) and I can't be arsed to send it out again and be without a Lite for a week+.
I didn't call or anything, I just used the website to get an RMA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!