Help me prepare my hacked consoles + stuff for sale

tatumanu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Please refrain from messaging me to buy whatever through this post.
I will post some of this stuff on the appropriate to Sell forum someday soon.

Hello, I'm going to sell pretty much everything I have gaming related ( with a few exceptions) and I wonder if you guys could save me a bit of time by pointing me in the right direction as I'm very out of date in most of this stuff and I want to sell my stuff and hacked consoles as clean and nice as possible for the next user:

PS4 7.55: It has my account on it, I think I set it as my primary PS4. Should I keep on 7.55 or update to 9.00? Should I simply format it? Any other tips?

PS3 I bought it pre hacked so I never got into it and haven't updated it since 2015, what is the current update I should use? It has multiman and some other wierd stuff on it, custom ps1 games too, also my account, should I just delete everything? What is the current CFW i should use?

Wii: Wow this one haven't boot since 2009! It just has so many things on it. Any nice way to get rid of it all and install current homebrew? It has a physical modchip on it ( it was a no solder clip-on modchip, dont remember the name), does it make it more valuable, if so how much more?

Wii U: has hakchi installed over brain age, barely played it since 2018. The vWii was hacked with a copy of Indiana Jones, has some stuff on vWii too. Any suggestions on how to clean and what current hacks I should have installed? Or maybe I shouldn't bother too much about this one and just format ( after uninstalling hakchi and the software on vWii?

PS Vita: Has Enso 3.65. Some software is on my memory card ( mostly psp games running on adrenaline), other in my SD to Vita, totally forgot what I did to it. Most of the software (quite a lot) is from my psn account.
Any pointers on how I should format and prepare to have it nice for the next user is appreciated. Sad to see it go.

Flash cards:

I got an original DSTwo, how much does it go for this days? Could not find reference. Any pointers to the best software? (not so sure if i'm selling it as I'm keeping my 3ds)

M3 mini Sd, still saves ok. Does it work on current windows? ( i used an old XP machine for it) Any pointer to the latest (or last) software for it? Also how much does it go for this days, I have seen it for 100 $ on eBay, I believe that to be ridiculous. I know it's not the best one anymore but still full featured and reliable.

Gateway: I got a brand new one in box that I ended not using. Are there still some use for this? Can't sell it locally as it gets reported. Any fair price suggestions would be appreciated. Also got a no label used Gateway ( only red) is it worth anything?

Flash 2 advance 256m (second gen no label) + parallel port flasher. Again crazy prices online, no way it's worth that. Any pointers to software I can give to a potential buyer would be appreciated. Still saves, what would be a fair price for this? What windows can run this flasher beyond xp?

SX Dongle I think i'll just trash this in the recycle bin, or is it worth idk 5€?

I take any help I can get, if you think I'm being lazy it's not that simple, I don't have any free time anymore or else I would keep all my stuff. But will take my time leaving things nice for the next user.

Thank you for reading and taking your time to help me!

Last edited by tatumanu,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is a fairly big change in life. Hopefully it is not a bad thing that is causing the sell off.

"as clean and nice as possible for the next user"
That will gain you basically nothing other than maybe a quicker sale to someone that wants something off the showroom floor. If you are selling it to someone on this site then other than the Wii the value, which would be notably above a stock console of similar condition, comes in the mod or that it is a moddable device and not past relevant firmware without relevant keys (if that is a thing for that console). If you have any kind of clean NAND dumps or keys you might want to package those up and send them with. Though I can certainly appreciate not wanting to be a flagrant pirate and not have accounts readily tied to you though. Be careful deleting and formatting things as you might delete the wrong thing if you get too excited and either stop it from working at all, render it unmoddable or otherwise cause aggravation. Indeed generally uninstalling is a trickier task than installing -- I have formatted enough PCs in my time that I can certainly appreciate a "screw it, start over" but it is not a great idea in modding circles as often times there can be mods attached to given profiles, saves and modded versions of menus that a factory restore might lose (or indeed only partly lose and brick itself in the process).

PS4. If someone wants to update they can do it themselves.

PS3.

Wii. There are two types of no solder chip, maybe three depending upon how you look at it. 1 is basically a clip on chip that went over the chip on the drive PCB and acted like a normal modchip (6x read speed and possibly some gamecube support rather than the 3x and limited gamecube of softmod), another was a cable chip that sat between the drive and Wii mainboard and gave you a lesser take on DVD modding (basically an internal softmod launcher, so limitations thereof). The third would be WODE (wii optical drive emulator, means of having a USB appear as an original drive) but you would know about that as a USB would go into it.
The WODE is valuable (considerably so) but the others... not really, indeed I would be surprised if it is a clip on chip that it is still working without pulling it apart and reseating it as they were unreliable at the best of times. About all it gives you over standard USB/SD homebrew mods is the ability to trick the gamecube loader by burning discs, maybe play some very early games that were potentially tricky with some mod setups.
If it is a clip on then your wii might also be an older model and thus able to do some more stuff with boot2 but nobody really cares there.
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
https://wii.guide/
https://modmii.github.io/
Depending upon what was done (you might have been old enough there to do something silly like cioscorp/darkcorp and in that case you would possibly benefit from undoing it and going for something more general.
Price wise I am seeing the wii go back up but as long as it is a wii with GC ports (which is most of them) then that alone is all that matters as they can all be modded.

Wii U. Why would you uninstall hacks?

Vita. I would probably keep this over the 3ds and pick up a DS somewhere else along the line (vita is staying quite high in price for now, DS less so).

DSTwo. Worth quite a bit but I don't have a going rate as not enough get sold to maintain a general idea. This is as it is the premier DS flash cart for most people and has not been sold in years. If you are keeping the 3ds the softmods to load DS mode/DSi mode are just about workable these days (I much prefer flash carts but hey) and many do use them as a primary method.
Gun to head you probably could clear $100 happily and maybe quite a bit more still.

M3... that might be an ebay chancer (though a few years back when it was likely one of the few vaguely modern GBA carts with real time clock and some other nice features... I could see it). Today various things from EZFlash and everdrive have it beat but it could still be something for someone.
You should not need anything too fancy as it works on SD card which means no drivers and no need for XP, indeed basic GBA patching will get most things going on.
$100 might be on the outside for a collector of flash carts that wants a still workable GBA cart but I have seen stranger stuff. If you want to drop that to somewhere in the $50-70 range you could shift it quicker still.

Gateway... not sure what goes there. Some people were using things to launch some stuff the other year but for the most part it is all about the softmod. All this really might gain you is a slight capacity increase but it is not like SD cards are not cheap for giant things these days.

F2A 256. Yeah that is definitely a chancer or someone somewhere paid real money for it for some reason and now everybody thinks it is worth real money. No real practical reason to have one of these (technically NOR carts can fake some things more easily than many later GBA slot efforts -- the EZ Omega line did have some stuff here and you could do a lot with the EZ4 and some creativity) and mostly going to be the flash cart collectors that go in for it.
Anyway no Windows beyond XP and its server equivalent that I am aware of -- all these old things need XP or a virtual machine running that and I am not sure what goes for the parallel port stuff with VMs (assuming you can even find a PC with it today).

SX Dongle. You can probably find something that will have it off you for the shelf of cool things. I was hoping we would get a return of some form but I guess not.

• Love
Reactions: tatumanu

tatumanu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That is a fairly big change in life. Hopefully it is not a bad thing that is causing the sell off.

"as clean and nice as possible for the next user"
That will gain you basically nothing other than maybe a quicker sale to someone that wants something off the showroom floor. If you are selling it to someone on this site then other than the Wii the value, which would be notably above a stock console of similar condition, comes in the mod or that it is a moddable device and not past relevant firmware without relevant keys (if that is a thing for that console). If you have any kind of clean NAND dumps or keys you might want to package those up and send them with. Though I can certainly appreciate not wanting to be a flagrant pirate and not have accounts readily tied to you though. Be careful deleting and formatting things as you might delete the wrong thing if you get too excited and either stop it from working at all, render it unmoddable or otherwise cause aggravation. Indeed generally uninstalling is a trickier task than installing -- I have formatted enough PCs in my time that I can certainly appreciate a "screw it, start over" but it is not a great idea in modding circles as often times there can be mods attached to given profiles, saves and modded versions of menus that a factory restore might lose (or indeed only partly lose and brick itself in the process).

PS4. If someone wants to update they can do it themselves.

PS3.

Wii. There are two types of no solder chip, maybe three depending upon how you look at it. 1 is basically a clip on chip that went over the chip on the drive PCB and acted like a normal modchip (6x read speed and possibly some gamecube support rather than the 3x and limited gamecube of softmod), another was a cable chip that sat between the drive and Wii mainboard and gave you a lesser take on DVD modding (basically an internal softmod launcher, so limitations thereof). The third would be WODE (wii optical drive emulator, means of having a USB appear as an original drive) but you would know about that as a USB would go into it.
The WODE is valuable (considerably so) but the others... not really, indeed I would be surprised if it is a clip on chip that it is still working without pulling it apart and reseating it as they were unreliable at the best of times. About all it gives you over standard USB/SD homebrew mods is the ability to trick the gamecube loader by burning discs, maybe play some very early games that were potentially tricky with some mod setups.
If it is a clip on then your wii might also be an older model and thus able to do some more stuff with boot2 but nobody really cares there.
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
https://wii.guide/
https://modmii.github.io/
Depending upon what was done (you might have been old enough there to do something silly like cioscorp/darkcorp and in that case you would possibly benefit from undoing it and going for something more general.
Price wise I am seeing the wii go back up but as long as it is a wii with GC ports (which is most of them) then that alone is all that matters as they can all be modded.

Wii U. Why would you uninstall hacks?

Vita. I would probably keep this over the 3ds and pick up a DS somewhere else along the line (vita is staying quite high in price for now, DS less so).

DSTwo. Worth quite a bit but I don't have a going rate as not enough get sold to maintain a general idea. This is as it is the premier DS flash cart for most people and has not been sold in years. If you are keeping the 3ds the softmods to load DS mode/DSi mode are just about workable these days (I much prefer flash carts but hey) and many do use them as a primary method.
Gun to head you probably could clear $100 happily and maybe quite a bit more still.

M3... that might be an ebay chancer (though a few years back when it was likely one of the few vaguely modern GBA carts with real time clock and some other nice features... I could see it). Today various things from EZFlash and everdrive have it beat but it could still be something for someone.
You should not need anything too fancy as it works on SD card which means no drivers and no need for XP, indeed basic GBA patching will get most things going on.
$100 might be on the outside for a collector of flash carts that wants a still workable GBA cart but I have seen stranger stuff. If you want to drop that to somewhere in the $50-70 range you could shift it quicker still.

Gateway... not sure what goes there. Some people were using things to launch some stuff the other year but for the most part it is all about the softmod. All this really might gain you is a slight capacity increase but it is not like SD cards are not cheap for giant things these days.

F2A 256. Yeah that is definitely a chancer or someone somewhere paid real money for it for some reason and now everybody thinks it is worth real money. No real practical reason to have one of these (technically NOR carts can fake some things more easily than many later GBA slot efforts -- the EZ Omega line did have some stuff here and you could do a lot with the EZ4 and some creativity) and mostly going to be the flash cart collectors that go in for it.
Anyway no Windows beyond XP and its server equivalent that I am aware of -- all these old things need XP or a virtual machine running that and I am not sure what goes for the parallel port stuff with VMs (assuming you can even find a PC with it today).

SX Dongle. You can probably find something that will have it off you for the shelf of cool things. I was hoping we would get a return of some form but I guess not.
Wow Fast you are so nice to me every time throughout out the years! Thank you so much.

No, it's not a bad thing that is making me sell off, actually quite the opposite!

I found a new taste for life, I actually been in a deep depression for 20 years ( while ignoring it), if you don't mind me sharing something very personal. Got so bad I had anxiety attacks ( felt like heart attacks, thought I was going to die). Been focusing on getting out of it! My Graphic Design business is booming and so much work to do, making cool new friends instead of dealing with bad ones, got help, started to manage my social anxiety too! I just feel that my relationship with gaming was too much so now I'm going to focus on only a few games here and there. My next one will be BOTW2 if I get the time. I don't want to waste my life indoors so much anymore, I really was trying to kill my brain from suffering. No more!

Again thank you from your dirty Mac user ( yes I know how much you loooooveee apple :P)

• Love
Reactions: Kraken_X

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it's any comfort...
I've bought two hacked handhelds and a second hand console over the years. None had any preparation done. One still had personal photos on it, the Xbox had skyrim and the previous user's online account in it, and so on.
The way i see it(and not just based on these experiences) it's that the buyer gets these things as is. If it's not hacked, I'd format it to factory image(not update it if it can't be avoided though... You never know) and I'd remove things like screenshots, but i wouldn't bother totally cleaning it out if you don't care about the personal account that's on it (it's different if you do care... But that depends on the specific system).

That said...
On wii and wiiu i totally agree with fast (and i don't know your other stuff well enough to comment on). The wii is easy in that even the latest firmware can be softmodded without issues(did this for my brother about a year ago), so you can't do much harm in removing things. But why would you? The former eshop closed down, so iirc there's no way to get them back(even illegally i don't think you can trace everything and get it to work). The account is personal so i would just leave it to the next buyer to see what to remove(if any).

The wiiu is a bit trickier. To my limited knowledge the account doesn't transfer over to the switch, so i would leave that on as well. There is some hacking news on that front(just this week, even), but i haven't checked it beyond installing haxchi on it (read: I've grown lazy). So again: just sell it as is and let the next owner see how he/she can avoid Bricking it.

• Love

tatumanu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it's any comfort...
I've bought two hacked handhelds and a second hand console over the years. None had any preparation done. One still had personal photos on it, the Xbox had skyrim and the previous user's online account in it, and so on.
The way i see it(and not just based on these experiences) it's that the buyer gets these things as is. If it's not hacked, I'd format it to factory image(not update it if it can't be avoided though... You never know) and I'd remove things like screenshots, but i wouldn't bother totally cleaning it out if you don't care about the personal account that's on it (it's different if you do care... But that depends on the specific system).

That said...
On wii and wiiu i totally agree with fast (and i don't know your other stuff well enough to comment on). The wii is easy in that even the latest firmware can be softmodded without issues(did this for my brother about a year ago), so you can't do much harm in removing things. But why would you? The former eshop closed down, so iirc there's no way to get them back(even illegally i don't think you can trace everything and get it to work). The account is personal so i would just leave it to the next buyer to see what to remove(if any).

The wiiu is a bit trickier. To my limited knowledge the account doesn't transfer over to the switch, so i would leave that on as well. There is some hacking news on that front(just this week, even), but i haven't checked it beyond installing haxchi on it (read: I've grown lazy). So again: just sell it as is and let the next owner see how he/she can avoid Bricking it.
Yeah the biggest point is I used my personal email on every console.
Plus I do own a huge amount of games I don't want to just give that away or sell it even though I will not use it again.

The wii u one is the same as my Switch ( which i'm keeping). I think im just going to uninstall haxchi (properly), wipe the data and done.

As for the ps3 and ps4 I'm thinking of just logging off my account and manually delete as much as I can. I'll try to install the most current CFW for ps3, which idk what it is.

The Wii is a day one version and It has a chip that cost a fortune back then. I've heard that there is a software to fix CiOS IOS or whatever it was called but idk. I might just sell it as it is. Ill try find out what chip it was, I don't feel like opening it again though.

I think I might take more time and just do it in fases ( might start by the PS4 before it becomes less valuable).

I'll put the Flashcards on the trading forum soon. I was using paypal there but I would like to try use some other method but idk what method i should use for payment shipping.

Thank you Taleweaver!

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4: Wipe it, but keep it on 7.55. It's trivially easy to upgrade, but nearly impossible to downgrade. The buyer will upgrade if they want to. I think if you just reset it offline with no disc in the drive, that should do it.

PS3: If this PS3 is running true CFW, I think you will want to try to keep the CFW in tact. If I remember correctly, you can only install true CFW on 3.55 or 3.56, or over the top of another CFW. If it's running a HEN, I think you can just wipe it.

Wii: All old-model Wiis are exploitable, just wipe it.

WiiU: All WiiUs are exploitable, and Tiramisu is better than Haxchi. Just wipe it. Note that if you had a Haxchi autoboot, you must uninstall that before wiping, or it will brick.

Vita: Ideally wipe and stay on 3.65, which is the golden firmware. I think newer firmwares can downgrade somewhat easily, but I don't have a Vita.

SX Dongle: These are actually still quite useful since they can be used to boot into Atmosphere.

Also, congrats on improving your mental health!

• Love

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@tatumanu : to restore proper wii files, the program you're looking for is most likely modmii. It's a straightforward windows tutorial that'll download and prepare the files you need. What you want is the latest IOS files for your region as well as the main menu in the same region. And of course a homebrew app to install all of that (also provided...I think it's MMM (multi mod manager), but could also be "yet another cIOS manager" or something...there's a bunch of similar homebrew apps). After that, you can just factory reset the wii.
The potential problem by selling it as is is that IF your cIOS has some high numbers in all slots AND not actual content in some of those, the wii might brick if the buyer (or you) does a normal online upgrade. That's if I recall things correctly: nintendo had the menu use a different slot every few updates, but because they also provided an IOS in said slot, it was actually safe (even though it overwrote cIOS'es in the process). The danger came from the cIOS makers who started fighting that by giving their cIOS stuff really high version numbers to prevent them from being overwritten.
The result? it's mostly theoretical, but it could happen that a regular update got a new system menu that used an IOS that wasn't there.

...and sorry if that all sounds weird and technical. The bottom line is: just use modmii to download nintendo's default IOS'es, the system menu from the same version and perhaps a few other channels as well (I forgot which ones, but the system menu's the most important one). After that, you're safe to just use it regularly. I'd personally not remove the homebrew channel or bootmii, but that's up to you (tell the buyer to use modmii and he or she can just start from scratch and have everything in a decent fashion).

• Love

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Please refrain from messaging me to buy whatever through this post.
I will post some of this stuff on the appropriate to Sell forum someday soon.

Hello, I'm going to sell pretty much everything I have gaming related ( with a few exceptions) and I wonder if you guys could save me a bit of time by pointing me in the right direction as I'm very out of date in most of this stuff and I want to sell my stuff and hacked consoles as clean and nice as possible for the next user:

PS4 7.55: It has my account on it, I think I set it as my primary PS4. Should I keep on 7.55 or update to 9.00? Should I simply format it? Any other tips?

PS3 I bought it pre hacked so I never got into it and haven't updated it since 2015, what is the current update I should use? It has multiman and some other wierd stuff on it, custom ps1 games too, also my account, should I just delete everything? What is the current CFW i should use?

Wii: Wow this one haven't boot since 2009! It just has so many things on it. Any nice way to get rid of it all and install current homebrew? It has a physical modchip on it ( it was a no solder clip-on modchip, dont remember the name), does it make it more valuable, if so how much more?

Wii U: has hakchi installed over brain age, barely played it since 2018. The vWii was hacked with a copy of Indiana Jones, has some stuff on vWii too. Any suggestions on how to clean and what current hacks I should have installed? Or maybe I shouldn't bother too much about this one and just format ( after uninstalling hakchi and the software on vWii?

PS Vita: Has Enso 3.65. Some software is on my memory card ( mostly psp games running on adrenaline), other in my SD to Vita, totally forgot what I did to it. Most of the software (quite a lot) is from my psn account.
Any pointers on how I should format and prepare to have it nice for the next user is appreciated. Sad to see it go.

Flash cards:

I got an original DSTwo, how much does it go for this days? Could not find reference. Any pointers to the best software? (not so sure if i'm selling it as I'm keeping my 3ds)

M3 mini Sd, still saves ok. Does it work on current windows? ( i used an old XP machine for it) Any pointer to the latest (or last) software for it? Also how much does it go for this days, I have seen it for 100 $ on eBay, I believe that to be ridiculous. I know it's not the best one anymore but still full featured and reliable.

Gateway: I got a brand new one in box that I ended not using. Are there still some use for this? Can't sell it locally as it gets reported. Any fair price suggestions would be appreciated. Also got a no label used Gateway ( only red) is it worth anything?

Flash 2 advance 256m (second gen no label) + parallel port flasher. Again crazy prices online, no way it's worth that. Any pointers to software I can give to a potential buyer would be appreciated. Still saves, what would be a fair price for this? What windows can run this flasher beyond xp?

SX Dongle I think i'll just trash this in the recycle bin, or is it worth idk 5€?

I take any help I can get, if you think I'm being lazy it's not that simple, I don't have any free time anymore or else I would keep all my stuff. But will take my time leaving things nice for the next user.

Thank you for reading and taking your time to help me!
There are uses for those single ROM flashable GBA (and GBC) carts. You can use them with GBA linkage and such things that more modern flashcarts simply would not work with. They were also quite expensive when they were released and these days they are quite rare.

M3 is still a solid flashcart for GBA stuff, as long as it has onboard flash for GBA games (IIRC there were versions that were more designed for DS games using a passme device and lacked the onboard flash which meant GBA games ran poorly)
They were long regarded as the best GBA flashcart bar none. Even better than the EZFlash IV. The market has changed a bit these days as GBA flashcarts are now being manufactured again, with more modern features like on-the-fly patching. Still the M3 line had and maybe still has a lot of fans.

You can use ohneschwanzenegger to create a completely vanilla NAND and flash it to the console with BootMii which will bring the Wii back to completely factory stock (minus the fact that BootMii will still be installed, that's part of the whole brick protection thing), however it's probably not needed as you can simply delete all unofficial channels and use MMM to reinstall/update any IOS (careful on this part, if you don't have the latest system menu and you update its IOS, you will be installing a stubbed IOS which will brick the console - best update/reinstall both at the same time, and have BootMii as boot2 for brick protection) that has been tampered with (check with sysCheck) and reinstall the system menu to remove any theme if one was installed. Make sure you have BootMii installed as boot2 when messing with the system menu or its IOS though, just to be safe.

You don't need to do much to it to clean the Wii U, just run the CBHC uninstaller (if you had CBHC, if you had regular Haxchi you can simply delete the channel), then delete the hacked DS title (it won't be deleted by the uninstaller) and the Wii U side of things will be pretty much stock, then you can set up Tiramisu for the latest hacks, vWii hacks are probably up to date so you don't need to change anything there besides updating the USB loader. I would just keep it though as they hold their value well and may become collectibles due to how poorly they sold. Look at the VIrtual Boy for example, it was a bigger failure than the Wii U and it's really valuable these days.

Gateway carts are generally worthless, but may be worth something to a collector.

The SX Pro dongle is still good. You can use it with other CFW so it's as good as any dongle.

The original DSTWO is relatively valuable as it's still the best DS flashcart for original DS/DSi consoles and they are no longer being made. But they are hard to find so you might just wanna keep it.

• Love

tatumanu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Kraken_X Thank you so much for the motivation! Learned it's never too late to improve yourself, positivity + meditation + focusing + being an early bird + doing what you love + never give too much + never expect people to give back + don't be afraid to ask for help + a bit of selfishness + don't be too nostalgic + understanding life changes and can always be better were some of the things I truly learned this last 2 years ( i know they seem obvious). I might do a blog post of my journey that maybe might help some tempers that feel the same as me. Still much to do and that's the beauty of life. There will be ups and downs i'm sure! Big hug!

@Taleweaver Thank you for being weird and technical :) you refreshed my Wii memory very well and that was the answer i was looking for. Going to try find what mod chip it is but it was the best of it's day. It had a sticker with the super mario bros background to protect the internals from shorting, i remember. I think I might give a temper the chance to get this old wii first without messing with it any longer. Might be worth to someone here.

@The Real Jdbye Great tips! Yeah the M3 is still pretty cool, only downside to me is the patching for save states. Very high end card and cool looking. Always enjoyed the old F2A, yes it cost more than 200 € back then!

Again thank you for the help, it's quality tempers like you guys that make this website amazing, everything else is just noise!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto